Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

In Auction drafts (Salary cap drafts) I often see people nominate in the same order as you would expect to see people drafted..like Tatis, Acuna, Betts, Soto etc.

Absolutely horrible strategy. especially if you have the notion to grab a top player yourself.

Nomination suspects:

1 - The best closer...pop him in early and watch people Overpay.  How many discussions have we had on Rotoworld about Closer turnover.  Yet if you nominate Hendricks in the first round, he'll go for 25 maybe.  

2- If there's someone away, it's kind of mean, but nominate an injured guy and the autodraft will pick them up.  ( personally as commissioner I will stop this).

3. Nominate players you feel will be overvalued, maybe it's a hunch or maybe it's good stats analaysis.

4) nominate the best player in whatever city you live in first.  Watch inflation kick in.  For  example, I live in Toronto and could nominate Bo Bichette.

Try to get your opponents to overspend early, giving you more money to go shopping.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

In Auction drafts (Salary cap drafts) I often see people nominate in the same order as you would expect to see people drafted..like Tatis, Acuna, Betts, Soto etc.

Absolutely horrible strategy. especially if you have the notion to grab a top player yourself.

Nomination suspects:

1 - The best closer...pop him in early and watch people Overpay.  How many discussions have we had on Rotoworld about Closer turnover.  Yet if you nominate Hendricks in the first round, he'll go for 25 maybe.  

2- If there's someone away, it's kind of mean, but nominate an injured guy and the autodraft will pick them up.  ( personally as commissioner I will stop this).

3. Nominate players you feel will be overvalued, maybe it's a hunch or maybe it's good stats analaysis.

4) nominate the best player in whatever city you live in first.  Watch inflation kick in.  For  example, I live in Toronto and could nominate Bo Bichette.

Try to get your opponents to overspend early, giving you more money to go shopping.

To add a couple more to the list:

5) Watch the tiers for roster slots you have covered, if one is nearly out, toss up the last couple ASAP, get those bid on when the guys who need them have more money to waste.

6) Use Runs to your advantage.  If there are several players left in your chosen tier for a slot coming up, and a player just before you went well over slot, nominate someone of your wanted group next, either people will rush to overpay for this one as well, or they'll be gunshy and you'll score him cheaper.

 

Edited by Heretic
deleted #7
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never roster a catcher.

You'll get much more yield rostering either an extra reliever, an extra starting pitcher, or a bench hitter that you can plug in on off days / days when your regular starter is getting a day off.

Only can do this without innings limits or games played limits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

1 - The best closer...pop him in early and watch people Overpay.  How many discussions have we had on Rotoworld about Closer turnover.  Yet if you nominate Hendricks in the first round, he'll go for 25 maybe.  

I've actually seen this backfire, and I tend to use the opposite strategy. I tend to nominate closers that I want to target with my first few auction picks, as I would suspect smart owners know they don't need to overpay for a closer right away. Meanwhile, if there is a closer run the mid tier guys tend to go over value. My first few drafts I have thrown out Rafael Montero early for example (mid tier guy I personally like) and have been able to land him both times at his projected cost, while similar tier closers that went off once majority of guys ahead of them went off were overpaid (owners wanting the best closer available at the time).

5 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Nomination suspects:

2- If there's someone away, it's kind of mean, but nominate an injured guy and the autodraft will pick them up.  ( personally as commissioner I will stop this).

3. Nominate players you feel will be overvalued, maybe it's a hunch or maybe it's good stats analaysis.

4) nominate the best player in whatever city you live in first.  Watch inflation kick in.  For  example, I live in Toronto and could nominate Bo Bichette.

Try to get your opponents to overspend early, giving you more money to go shopping.

I agree with the rest of these, bottom line is nominate players you don't want that you think drafters will overvalue. It is just important to be cognizant of where other owners are at and if you sense some weakness you can throw out a guy you want to try to get cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never roster a catcher.

You'll get much more yield rostering either an extra reliever, an extra starting pitcher, or a bench hitter that you can plug in on off days / days when your regular starter is getting a day off.

Won't work in leagues where you are required to fill every position in a starting lineup...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never roster a catcher.

You'll get much more yield rostering either an extra reliever, an extra starting pitcher, or a bench hitter that you can plug in on off days / days when your regular starter is getting a day off.

Can’t say I agree with this even a little. I struggle to see how I’ll get “much more yield” from an extra pitcher or a bench bat. I guess I can understand the extra SP more than the other two options, but SPs can hurt your ratios, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Auction strategy is worth it's own post, but I always try to keep people off-balance. Generally put up guys that you don't want, but not always; throw some mid or lower-tier guys out early before anybody has any idea how to value them; throw out some bids close to your limit early so opponents are forced into a quick decision; oh, and every dollar makes a difference toward the end of the draft, so it can pay to be the guy with a few bucks left rushing the bid from $1 to $2 on any quality names hanging around toward the end.

Honestly, when you're putting the guy up is the best time to throw people off; put guys up close to your limit and give the league a few seconds to register the name and decide if they're comfortable matching.

Edited by Hanghow
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Can’t say I agree with this even a little. I struggle to see how I’ll get “much more yield” from an extra pitcher or a bench bat. I guess I can understand the extra SP more than the other two options, but SPs can hurt your ratios, too. 

I would say that the earlier your draft, the more value there is to using bench to manage the changes before season starts than during it.

So, if drafting in early March using a bench slot (or a P slot) on someone who might win a closer gig or a minor-leaguer who might make roster is likely the highest and best use of the slot.  But if you drafted yesterday, you probably do better just grabbing the guys you actually want on your roster for management purposes Thursday-on when season starts.

Unless you really like the bench option you grab early (and sometimes you do) I tendt to play the market a bit like above.  But sometimes, sure, you like the guys you drafted even if early.

Edited by Whizzinator
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whizzinator said:

I would say that the earlier your draft, the more value there is to using bench to manage the changes before season starts than during it.

So, if drafting in early March using a bench slot (or a P slot) on someone who might win a closer gig or a minor-leaguer who might make roster is likely the highest and best use of the slot.  But if you drafted yesterday, you probably do better just grabbing the guys you actually want on your roster for management purposes Thursday-on when season starts.

Unless you really like the bench option you grab early (and sometimes you do) I tendt to play the market a bit like above.  But sometimes, sure, you like the guys you drafted even if early.

That’s a different strategy than he was talking about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 12-team leagues with single catcher, DO NOT DRAFT a catcher. In the first 10 rounds, you want to load up on 7-9 bats and 1-3 pitchers. 

This only works in leagues that have no seasonal moves limit, and atleast 5 allowable moves for the week. 

Just do the ol pick up and drop of catchers. Get as many ABs in as possible from good hitting catchers. 

A guy I'm targeting is Kirk, from the Jays. Currently an FA, but even if he gets 150 ABs, those might be some quality ABs from the C-spot. Play the pick/drop game with these catchers based on matchups, and you should have atleast top 5 production from the C spot without spending a dime in the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs Popular Searches

This one is sneaky and a real "trick of the trade" type move... If you want to expand your knowledge and discover guys beyond fantasy articles... Go to Fangraphs a couple times a day, click in the search bar, it will auto-populate a list of the most common recent searches, both MLB and Minors... Click through and check out the guys, they are typically popular searches for a reason and help you stumble across some low key breakouts.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Auction. I agree with most of the ones stated. I think the biggest one is know other owner tendencies (if you run with the same group year after year). closers always used to go for high prices until the last two or three years in our league. Hendricks was thrown own as the the first closer this year and it went silent at $9. I waited a few seconds and got him at $10 (my personal limit for my #1 closer). There are two guys in our league who always overspend for closers and when I noticed neither were in the bidding, I hopped in. The next few closers went for over $10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 3:40 PM, StevieStats said:

Always bench SPs starting at Colorado

I don't care if they are a stud, I don't care if they had a good game there last time, bench your SPs at Coors. We aren't talking about park dimensions, we are talking altitude, pitchers are literally less effective there and pitches do not move as much. The risk of blow ups is too severe.

For illustration purposes, Clayton Kershaw and Madison Bumgarner have both been longtime studs in the NL West. See their career, career road, and career Coors numbers below. No matter the temptation, just don't do it.

 

Clayton Kershaw

Career: 2333 IP, 2.43 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

Road: 1104 IP, 2.74 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

Coors: 140 IP, 4.44 ERA, 1.25 WHIP

 

Madison Bumgarner:

Career: 1887 IP, 3.20 ERA, 1.12 WHIP

Road: 954 IP, 3.63 ERA, 1.18 WHIP

Coors: 100 IP, 4.56 ERA, 1.47 WHIP

 

 

Did I save any Kershaw owners today? I benched him lol... Will look to actively buy in my other league.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 6:40 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never roster a catcher.

You'll get much more yield rostering either an extra reliever, an extra starting pitcher, or a bench hitter that you can plug in on off days / days when your regular starter is getting a day off.

I am starting to believe this myself.  Never thought I would.  Catchers just are brutal.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 9:40 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Never roster a catcher.

You'll get much more yield rostering either an extra reliever, an extra starting pitcher, or a bench hitter that you can plug in on off days / days when your regular starter is getting a day off.

I should add that this trick is especially valuable early in the year: With all the off days, rainouts and, now COVID postponements.

An extra bench hitter you can deploy as sort of a rover is so much more valuable.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I should add that this trick is especially valuable early in the year: With all the off days, rainouts and, now COVID postponements.

An extra bench hitter you can deploy as sort of a rover is so much more valuable.

David Fletcher is perfect for this. He's west coast too which someone mentioned earlier as a bonus on your bench.

Edited by StevieStats
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for some "newb" type help as this is my first go around with Fantasy Baseball. ESPN League (head to head) scoring. What exactly is a matchup acquisition, how does it work and if you could possibly give an example. Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jjb428 said:

Looking for some "newb" type help as this is my first go around with Fantasy Baseball. ESPN League (head to head) scoring. What exactly is a matchup acquisition, how does it work and if you could possibly give an example. Thanks in advance!

There might be a limit on acquisitions per matchup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, B&F said:

I am starting to believe this myself.  Never thought I would.  Catchers just are brutal.

I actually roster 2 in a 1 catcher Roto, but with games played limits. There are more counting stats than % stats and I want to accumulate as many as I can at each position. If you get 2 decent avg. catchers then this will work to your advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I actually roster 2 in a 1 catcher Roto, but with games played limits. There are more counting stats than % stats and I want to accumulate as many as I can at each position. If you get 2 decent avg. catchers then this will work to your advantage.

I have d’Arnaud and IKF rostered in a Yahoo league. Assuming health, reaching 162 games at catcher shouldn’t be an issue, and IKF adds 3B and SS as positional flexibility. I’m far more in agreement with you, than I am the no catcher thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I have d’Arnaud and IKF rostered in a Yahoo league. Assuming health, reaching 162 games at catcher shouldn’t be an issue, and IKF adds 3B and SS as positional flexibility. I’m far more in agreement with you, than I am the no catcher thing. 

I do agree not to spend a lot for a catcher or use a high draft selection, but going no catcher when there are games played limits at each position is giving away stats/cats to the competition.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, duke of queens said:

I do agree not to spend a lot for a catcher or use a high draft selection, but going no catcher when there are games played limits at each position is giving away stats/cats to the competition.

Assuming you can actually hit your 162 game cap per position.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...