NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pitcher substances/spin rate crackdown

still have my draft coming up and I'm trying to figure out what the LIKELYHOOD  is that these guys have been cheating and will get caught.

MLB must already have been convinced of the fact that doctoring is the major reason for these spin increases.

Yet 75% of the pitchers are supposedly doing it.

I think I'm going ignore all this and hope my team does not have to deal with suspensions.

• Like 1

The main effect of this crackdown will be to force guys to be less obvious about their doctoring of the ball.

Kind of like how PEDs testing has made the chemistry and dosing regimen far more complicated for the many, many players who are still juicing.

Edited by Overlord

19 minutes ago, Overlord said:

The main effect of this crackdown will be to force guys to be less obvious about their doctoring of the ball.

Like not having a nail file or sandpaper fall out of your pocket?

• 2 months later...

Since MLB reportedly started cracking down on pitchers using stuff to boost their spin rate, we've seen several guys have a notable dropoff in spin rates, with Bauer and Cole being the most prominent. If this trend continues, you've gotta think we're going to start seeing a jump in offensive production while surprising aces start crashing back to earth. Anyone have any thoughts on how this can be applied to maximize our fantasy performances?

17 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Since MLB reportedly started cracking down on pitchers using stuff to boost their spin rate, we've seen several guys have a notable dropoff in spin rates, with Bauer and Cole being the most prominent. If this trend continues, you've gotta think we're going to start seeing a jump in offensive production while surprising aces start crashing back to earth. Anyone have any thoughts on how this can be applied to maximize our fantasy performances?

I’m not sure there’s anything exploitable here as we really have no idea which pitchers have been doing it (aside from the obvious ones) and we have no idea if the pitchers that have been cheating will figure out a legal modification. If you’re really concerned about a major drop off with a guy like Bauer I suppose you could look to sell if someone’s interested in paying full price. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, umphrey said:

As a Brewers fan, I am scared for our 3 good starters if they actually crack down

Burnes had a big drop in his spin rate on his pitches today but still put up a phenomenal outing against Arizona. These could all be various ebbs and flows you'll see throughout the year, but it's interesting timing if nothing else.

10 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

When did this start. Was it this season.

Nothing has been made official to my knowledge, but reports say MLB told owners about the pending crackdown a couple days ago, and there are plans to make an official stance before the ASB. Several pitchers have seen a clear dip in spin rate, so it does appear to be something going on behind the scenes.

Edited by AnonymousRob

2 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

When did this start. Was it this season.

The crackdown will start this year. MLB thinks most pitchers are doing it. Watching Twins relivers it doesn't appear any of them were in the pipeline for using it.

If you are wondering when it became a problem (more than an occasional pitcher) I think that Astro pitchers have been dong it for quite awhile. Struck me as strange that pitchers traded to them became semi Acs or had a miraculous  career  revitalization (Verlander). Provable no but sure would help explain a lot and it is a sorry thing but the organization has a reputation of cutting corners for results.

I’d also like to add that it’s ridiculous that MLB has let it get to this point and it’s equally ridiculous that they are intervening this drastically in the middle of the season because their other intervention (the deadened ball) is leading to depressed scoring. They’re like a mad scientist conducting an experiment that has run amuck and he has no idea to fix it so he’s randomly mixing in crap hoping it fixes it.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’d also like to add that it’s ridiculous that MLB has let it get to this point and it’s equally ridiculous that they are intervening this drastically in the middle of the season because their other intervention (the deadened ball) is leading to depressed scoring. They’re like a mad scientist conducting an experiment that has run amuck and he has no idea to fix it so he’s randomly mixing in crap hoping it fixes it.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

The crackdown will start this year. MLB thinks most pitchers are doing it. Watching Twins relivers it doesn't appear any of them were in the pipeline for using it.

If you are wondering when it became a problem (more than an occasional pitcher) I think that Astro pitchers have been dong it for quite awhile. Struck me as strange that pitchers traded to them became semi Acs or had a miraculous  career  revitalization (Verlander). Provable no but sure would help explain a lot and it is a sorry thing but the organization has a reputation of cutting corners for results.

What about the rays. Glasnow and Morton became studs.

I would say you really cannot jump the gun trading someone like Cole or Bauer.

10 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Sure but I would imagine the Astros traded some pitchers who brought it to the new team. Pitchers on the next team got traded, dropped, became FA and brought the practice with them.

Case in point was Morton was an Astro and went to Tampa Bay and now Atlanta

On 6/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Morton pitched well in Houston before going to Tampa. Glasnow had his mechanics and sequencing changed. Pittsburgh can’t develop pitchers so the Rays had to fix him. He’s always had talent to be a stud. With Glasnow I’d be more worried about his elbow blowing out than him using sticky stuff (which I don’t believe he’s using but I guess we’ll find out tonight)

White Sox Broadcast/former Cy Young winner Steve Stone was discussing his idea for preventing the use of sticky substances on last night's broadcast. He suggested MLB having a league approved sticky substance, based in rosin, that pitchers would be allowed to use. Then he said the next step would be to measure the spin rates of every single MLB pitcher's entire diet of pitches, during spring training, to establish a "Baseline". He said that you would then monitor the spin rates, and allow for some fluctuation, but that a noticeable jump of 300-500 RPM would be a red flag of someone abusing the sticky substances. It's an interesting idea, but requires way too much reliance on computerized data to be practical. It might have some fairness, but what about pitchers coming along slowly in their throwing programs coming out of spring training? What if a guy makes some minor adjustment in the middle of the start that results in a jump in RPM? If a pitcher has a great outing that results in increased RPM, is MLB going to warn him he'll be suspended if his RPM don't go down in the next game? I could see this leading to a pitcher having a panic attack on the mound.

The point I'm making also is that you can't look at a decrease from a pitcher like Cole in one outing and assume its related to him not using substances any more. There could be other reasons beyond the obvious, and I'm still a believer in being innocent until proven guilty (although in the court of public opinion, this does not exist.) I'd like to see the cheaters rooted out, naturally, but believe there should be better due process than what MLB is talking about so far.

I also really don't think it should be the umpires job to check these guys and be the arbiter of such an important issue, because it brings all kind of bias questions into play. If an umpire catches Joakim Soria or Sergio Romo using sticky on the mound in garbage time, trying to hang onto their careers, kind of a "sticky" spot for an umpire too IMO. I'm not sure what the solution is, but its also clear that MLB teams won't police themselves, so some reasonable standard has to be created. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

Posted this on the June closers thread; David Cone was saying a couple of nights ago during the Yankees telecast vs the Twins, a spin rate increase/decrease of +/- 100 is negligible where a spin rate increase/decrease of +/- 300-500 is a flag. Gerrit Cole was in that +/- 100. Not sure about some of the other names mentioned previously. In the case of AroIdis Chapman, I'm more  concerned about the 5 MPH drop that Fbaseballgod mentioned in the closer thread and figuring out is this a case of using/ not using the sticky stuff or a sign of a potential injury.  I'll let the posters familiar with spin rate shed more light but I'm more concerned with any of my pitchers having a 5 MPH drop.  

Edited by PinstripeGM

• tonycpsu changed the title to Spin Rate 2021 Outlook