NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pitcher substances/spin rate crackdown

Average 4-seam fastball spin rate since May 4

May 4-12: 2,319 RPM

May 13-21: 2,332 RPM

May 22-30: 2,317 RPM

May 31-June7: 2,306 RPM

June 8-17: 2,266 RPM

Noticeable decline in spin rate just this week. Monday it goes into full effect.

• Like 1
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only if you ignore the fact that MLB has used the same empty sternly-worded threat approach before but didn't do any enforcement.  This led to a loss in credibility, and a sense that MLB was just cove

"It's so hard to grip the ball," a frustrated Cole said after the New York Yankees' 3-2 win. "For Pete's sake, it's part of the reason why almost every player on the field has had something, regardles

I'm drafting all knuckleballers this year. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

Average 4-seam fastball spin rate since May 4

May 4-12: 2,319 RPM

May 13-21: 2,332 RPM

May 22-30: 2,317 RPM

May 31-June7: 2,306 RPM

June 8-17: 2,266 RPM

Noticeable decline in spin rate just this week. Monday it goes into full effect.

I should have shorted Spider Tack stock.

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, Words said:

It's not false at all. A rule with no teeth might as well not exist. Pitchers have been breaking the rule and MLB has been ignoring it for many years. To suddenly start handing out punishments in June is absolutely changing the rules in mid-season. 

Lol it's not a change, the rule is not new, and they did issue a memo in the off-season on this very topic with all these details... The suspensions clarified are based off ones they already issued in the past it's not new punishment, it's based on history of what they have already done. 

No rules are changing. Notice was given in the off-season. 

Cheating and ignoring your notice to stop is not ground for crying about "new" rules just because you ignored them and your warnings to stop lol.

26 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I should have shorted Spider Tack stock.

There's still time. Maybe we sell calls. 🤔

I'll cook up an iron condor.

Edited by collucho
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, collucho said:

There's still time. Maybe we sell calls. 🤔

I'll cook up an iron condor.

MOASS incoming when Manfred is forced to reverse the policy.

Hedgies gonna get caught over-shorting and all of us diamond-handed apes can HODL the gammaa squeeze rocket ship straight to the moon.

Apes together strong!  NO PAPER HANDS OR FUD ALLOWED!!!

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 3

A lot to digest here and I don’t love the flow and format of the article, but here’s a comprehensive guide to the (alleged) sticky substance offenders…

• Thanks 2
On 6/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, Richard Kimble said:

If an umpire catches Joakim Soria or Sergio Romo using sticky on the mound in garbage time, trying to hang onto their careers, kind of a "sticky" spot for an umpire too IMO.

I kinda called this one...most of the umps are just like "Hey I'm just doing my job" but I figured Romo would be the type who resents this clown show that Manfred has started. I don't blame him or Scherzer one bit.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Doesn't this become a win-win-win for MLB if they catch any player or better yet catch no one?

Win number one they are enforcing the rules if they "catch" someone

Win number two even if they don't catch anyone they can claim they cleaned up the game

Win number three is any publicity is good publicity as it gets people talking about the game. My dialysis techs today were asking about it. Previously they just wondered why I was so into baseball. Maybe they never watch it but it was at least conversation for the day. Small steps

Your right in not blaming individual pitchers for their reactions is pointless but then do you get to blame pitchers as a group for bringing the league to want to correct the imbalance between offense and defense? With PED both hitters and pitchers were taking so the imbalance just wasn't as notable. 

24 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Sticky substances aside, let's say the MLB decides to undo this "deadened" baseball, do you guys see any pitchers that are doing well this season that may not do so well next season? 

A few, yes.

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If the ball being too slick the the big complaint with pitchers. Why doesn’t MLB bring back the design of the pre juiced ball that was apparently fine? 

Oh quite being logical and sane.  Those two traits are not allowed in the front office of MLB.

And again, MLB, look into how the balls in Japan are made with the tacky coverings as part of the manufacturing process and not a sticky add on used later.  Oh whoops, now I am being too logical.  Me bad.

PS:  Another problem with the balls according to a discussion in Boston announcers' booth is that club house boys can't even begin to rub up the balls anywhere near specs as the umpires could in the past.  So at the very least as a stop gap these lazy umps should do what they used to do and dig into that Delaware River mud and get their hands dirty again.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, fantasymad said:

Has anyone been caught yet?

I saw some pitcher had his hat confiscated. Another brought out his own rasin bag and that was taken away. No suspensions that I’ve seen yet.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:31 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh quite being logical and sane.  Those two traits are not allowed in the front office of MLB.

And again, MLB, look into how the balls in Japan are made with the tacky coverings as part of the manufacturing process and not a sticky add on used later.  Oh whoops, now I am being too logical.  Me bad.

PS:  Another problem with the balls according to a discussion in Boston announcers' booth is that club house boys can't even begin to rub up the balls anywhere near specs as the umpires could in the past.  So at the very least as a stop gap these lazy umps should do what they used to do and dig into that Delaware River mud and get their hands dirty again.

Well I mean the clubhouse boys would doctor balls and mix up stuff for the pitchers so makes sense.

4 minutes ago, posty said:

Hector Santiago suspended ten games...

I really hope they divulge what exactly the substance is that was on his glove.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Hector Santiago suspended ten games...

They didn’t even inspect the glove after. They just went off the initial report. 

What an absolute ******** clown show of a joke this league is. Manfred is the stupidest commissioner in sports. No wonder the MLB ratings have been declining for two decades. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, collucho said:

I really hope they divulge what exactly the substance is that was on his glove.

They won’t…because they didn’t even check.