NBC Sports Edge Forums

On 5/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, AnonymousRob said:

Just a note, but his fastball average velocity has now dropped in 5 straight games. It's a very minor concern at best considering both the results and the fact it's dropped all the way down to...94.4 (as a lefty!!). I wouldn't sweat it all that much considering he was still firing at 96 when he needed. But it's at least something to file away in the corner of your mind. I can't be the only one wondering if/when he's going to start wearing down this year. 

Make it 6 straight games. Velocity has peaks and valleys throughout the year so this doesn't necessarily mean anything. He's approaching 60 innings this year. He had 28 innings in 2020, 136 innings in 2019. His average fastball velocity last game was 93.4.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No thread on him is a testament to how dead this board has been this season + nobody wanting to mention him because their draft is coming up. He's on a bunch of people's breakout list too. Should

With all due respect, everyone needs to calm down if anyone is upset with this line or him not going another inning or two. 7 great innings with over a k per inning, sub 1 whip, QS, Win, 0 ER for a gu

15 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Make it 6 straight games. Velocity has peaks and valleys throughout the year so this doesn't necessarily mean anything. He's approaching 60 innings this year. He had 28 innings in 2020, 136 innings in 2019. His average fastball velocity last game was 93.4.

Yeah, he was all 91-92 in the last 2 innings of this past start.

20 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He was battling his control pretty bad in this one so it would make sense to see a decline in velo from trying to throw more strikes. He threw 21 balls to 16 strikes the first two innings

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

He was battling his control pretty bad in this one so it would make sense to see a decline in velo from trying to throw more strikes. He threw 21 balls to 16 strikes the first two innings

He also looked off right from the get-go in this last one - physically.  The announcers remarked on it.  Not so much that he looked injured - maybe uncomfortable for some reason?  Maybe the humidity?

22 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He also looked off right from the get-go in this last one - physically.  The announcers remarked on it.  Not so much that he looked injured - maybe uncomfortable for some reason?  Maybe the humidity?

Idk could definitely be part of it. Was his first start in Miami since May 7th. He was sweating buckets in the first inning compared to how he usually looks.

4 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Idk could definitely be part of it. Was his first start in Miami since May 7th. He was sweating buckets in the first inning compared to how he usually looks.

Yes that was my thought as well

I hate being the guy who asks this because Rogers has been phenomenal and a league winner based on his ADP, but do you think it is time to cash out your chips and sell high on Rogers?  It's pretty obvious his stuff is legit, but realistically how many innings are we going to get from him?  I think he'll almost certainly be shut down in September, maybe even in August

20 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I hate being the guy who asks this because Rogers has been phenomenal and a league winner based on his ADP, but do you think it is time to cash out your chips and sell high on Rogers?  It's pretty obvious his stuff is legit, but realistically how many innings are we going to get from him?  I think he'll almost certainly be shut down in September, maybe even in August

I wouldn’t - I don’t even mind if they “shut him down” in September or even August.  That probably means he met his limit and pitched well.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'd consider moving him in redrafts. He's outperforming his stats right now and if you can get someone to pay the price of his current level I'd pull the trigger. Add in some durability concerns and he's probably a reasonable sell high.

If you feel compelled to move him a re-draft due to IP/durability concerns, I understand.  Please don’t do so in any form of keeper.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BMcP said:

If you feel compelled to move him a re-draft due to IP/durability concerns, I understand.  Please don’t do so in any form of keeper.

Oh hell no. 

7 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'd consider moving him in redrafts. He's outperforming his stats right now and if you can get someone to pay the price of his current level I'd pull the trigger. Add in some durability concerns and he's probably a reasonable sell high.

I am referring to redraft leagues.  To me, the concern is the innings limit, not that he's outperforming his peripherals.  Yes, he likely won't finish with an ERA under 2.00 (I don't think I'd project any pitcher other than deGrom to have an ERA under 2.00, probably not even Gerrit Cole), but his peripherals are still elite (2.63 FIP) and he pitches in one of the best pitchers parks in baseball.  I expect Rogers to continue to be elite for however long he pitches, I just worry he'll get shut down in August.

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I am referring to redraft leagues.  To me, the concern is the innings limit, not that he's outperforming his peripherals.  Yes, he likely won't finish with an ERA under 2.00 (I don't think I'd project any pitcher other than deGrom to have an ERA under 2.00, probably not even Gerrit Cole), but his peripherals are still elite (2.63 FIP) and he pitches in one of the best pitchers parks in baseball.  I expect Rogers to continue to be elite for however long he pitches, I just worry he'll get shut down in August.

I mean, it’s a pretty league-specific question: if your league has a playoff, it might make sense.  If not, I wouldn’t concern myself with any potential limit - certainly not to the point of trading him on account of it.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BMcP said:

Completely agree with this. I will say, however, if you're a contending team in a keeper with Rogers and have IP/durability concerns and you can sell him to a dumping team for a safer piece for a title run, then I can understand that, too. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Off to the IL - we can only hope it’s COVID/vaccine related

It is COVID related. Beat writer says stay is expected to be minimal

• Thanks 2

If it's vaccine side effects that only supposedly last a day or two, why are these guys going on the IL if they won't miss their start?  If it was covid I think they normally miss a couple weeks.

1 minute ago, AlexxelA said:

If it's vaccine side effects that only supposedly last a day or two, why are these guys going on the IL if they won't miss their start?  If it was covid I think they normally miss a couple weeks.

So the team can roster healthy players

8 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

They get to call up another player while the other guy is on Covid-19 IL, which is especially useful since they wouldn't have used Rogers today or tomorrow anyway.

That they are saying it will be minimal tells us it likely is from getting vaccinated or maybe precautionary because he has been in contact with someone who has Covid-19. In that case he would just need to pass a few tests to be cleared to play himself. Does anyone remember how many days a player has to test negative to be allowed to play?

8 hours ago, Ace_King said:

They get to call up another player while the other guy is on Covid-19 IL, which is especially useful since they wouldn't have used Rogers today or tomorrow anyway.

That they are saying it will be minimal tells us it likely is from getting vaccinated or maybe precautionary because he has been in contact with someone who has Covid-19. In that case he would just need to pass a few tests to be cleared to play himself. Does anyone remember how many days a player has to test negative to be allowed to play?

5cba4f7169237.image.jpg?crop=1149,741,14

• Haha 1

I think it's two. The IL Covid List is has seen guys go on and off daily all year reporting covid like symptoms. If they test positive they have to go through quarantine and testing. If the players are in direct contact with Covid then they get shutdown for 5 days and pass testing. The list likely getting abused by many teams. If it's workload management roster manipulation, yeah, all good. We shall see I guess.