NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picture this:  it's the year 2098, the world is a nuclear wasteland.  Buildings are merely empty crumbling shells.  The sky is an orange, purple color, constantly highlighted by dust clouds and freque

Yes, this includes myself...

All my players who are clearly hurt also play on teams that wait until 10 seconds before the game starts to put guys on the DL. So now I have to watch people take players on my watchlist. Piss me off

Posted Images

6 hours ago, kirkcameron said:

How can a group of hitters randomly put together with no connections whatsoever in real life all suck this bad for this long?  I dread clicking on boxscores.  

Right?  I swear the mlb commissioner has access to my yahoo league page and emails my roster to every manager with the instructions "make sure these guys suck!".   I see no other plausible explanation.

• Like 1

Yelich. K. Marte. Rendon. My top three hitters all hurt for most of the year so far. Conforto, Laureano, Swanson, and Dominic Smith, my mid round hitters, all woefully underperforming. Now Matt Olson, my only remaining healthy guy who's hitting at all, fouls a ball off his eye in batting practice and is headed for x-rays. Just unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, dele said:

Yelich. K. Marte. Rendon. My top three hitters all hurt for most of the year so far. Conforto, Laureano, Swanson, and Dominic Smith, my mid round hitters, all woefully underperforming. Now Matt Olson, my only remaining healthy guy who's hitting at all, fouls a ball off his eye in batting practice and is headed for x-rays. Just unbelievable.

At least Laureano has most likely helped you with speed? 

3 hours ago, ty5592 said:

4/23 3/31 1/24 so far this week. I don’t think I’ve ever had an offense this cold 

Wow. Even for "vent and rant" we all need to bow in acknowledgement. 

This vent is about Fangraphs. However, if you don't subscribe to one of the two pay options, then I believe you have no beef.

However, as a paid subscriber, what the F' is going on?! The content has dried up, specifically on Rotographs.  The chats are infrequent and seemingly not on any schedule. When they are on the chat hosts seem bored and disengaged. One guy talks about his cats and answers "it's early" more than he gives actually baseball analysis.  No more DFS analysis, some days no Roto roundup. Rankings are infrequent. Bottom line, the quality and content volume has drastically fallen off. 

Look, I know these guys aren't well paid. Hell, maybe some are even volunteers? I don't know.  So God bless them for doing anything. And I know this vent is not important. But damn, it's rough to see an outlet I once could peruse for hours become an afterthought site on a daily basis.  

Seems like just another casualty in the declining interest in baseball. Or writing content. Or I'm just getting old. I mean, the younger generations are a decade away from submitting thesis in text message style, so i suppose if it is not a youtube prank video, promoted by some 18 year old on instagram with enough invested in plastic surgery to carry a mortgage,  or submitted in podcast form nobody cares anymore...but dang.  This sucks. Heck, the only reason I found this board was the death of another forum. I really hope this one isn't next. 

Edited by CardiacDO
17 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

At least Laureano has most likely helped you with speed? 

Yes, but only in week 1! He won that category for me the first week but pretty much hasn't stolen a bag since, since he's hardly been on base during that time.

It’s hard to imagine that I’ve drafted a severely underperforming player at every single position but I’ve done it.  My entire offense has been absolutely putrid.  Betts sucks, Arenado sucks, Robert sucks, thank you Eloy, Laureano sucks, Trea Turner sucks (ok he’s been a bright spot).  f--- all of them.

My pitchers rock though.

• Like 1

The league average is .232. It was .237 in 1968...the year before they lowered the mound. 

Everyone that comes to the Vent and Rant to bltch about their hitters sucking need to understand this is baseball until the league adjusts. Hitters refuse to try making better contact.  Instead, all they do is swing for the fences because clowns with numbers say it's the most efficient despite numbers (all-time league low BA) proving it isn't working. So, in the next few years MLB will make it harder for the pitchers.

The '98 Yankees were one of the best teams ever. 114 wins. 11-2 in the playoffs.

Not ONE player had 30HRs. Two struck out over 100x....(119, 103)

They took advantage of every opportunity/mistake by their opponent. Most of the time this was done by clutch hitting and dare I say.......moving runners without getting a hit. That's right. OUTS CAN BE USEFUL. 

The numbers say it's more likely to hit a home run than string four hits together. Sure, but it's MUCH MORE likely to produce runs when to put the ball in play rather than striking out. Lead off double. Ground out to second. Fly ball to right. Team makes an error on a routine ground ball. Single through the right side. Lead runner moves to third. Passed ball. Run scored. This could go on for ever with situations that involve no HRs to score a run. 

Maybe teams score more runs now. Couldn't find the numbers. Plus, there are more teams/ different roster constructions now. Who cares.

One thing is certain.....Baseball is BORING. Everyone knows this. MLB a problem getting non-fans to watch BEFORE analytics ruined the game. Now hardcore fans are leaving in droves.

The product SUCKS. PERIOD. Hit the damn ball!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

The league average is .232. It was .237 in 1968...the year before they lowered the mound. 

Everyone that comes to the Vent and Rant to bltch about their hitters sucking need to understand this is baseball until the league adjusts. Hitters refuse to try making better contact.  Instead, all they do is swing for the fences because clowns with numbers say it's the most efficient despite numbers (all-time league low BA) proving it isn't working. So, in the next few years MLB will make it harder for the pitchers.

The '98 Yankees were one of the best teams ever. 114 wins. 11-2 in the playoffs.

Not ONE player had 30HRs. Two struck out over 100x....(119, 103)

They took advantage of every opportunity/mistake by their opponent. Most of the time this was done by clutch hitting and dare I say.......moving runners without getting a hit. That's right. OUTS CAN BE USEFUL. 

The numbers say it's more likely to hit a home run than string four hits together. Sure, but it's MUCH MORE likely to produce runs when to put the ball in play rather than striking out. Lead off double. Ground out to second. Fly ball to right. Team makes an error on a routine ground ball. Single through the right side. Lead runner moves to third. Passed ball. Run scored. This could go on for ever with situations that involve no HRs to score a run. 

Maybe teams score more runs now. Couldn't find the numbers. Plus, there are more teams/ different roster constructions now. Who cares.

One thing is certain.....Baseball is BORING. Everyone knows this. MLB a problem getting non-fans to watch BEFORE analytics ruined the game. Now hardcore fans are leaving in droves.

Interesting post. It makes you wonder how we went from the days of watching Magglio Ordonez hit .363 to getting excited for your team's avg. to raise over .250.

Rant about a trade offer: an owner in my league put Rafael Devers on the trade block. I'm thin in the infield and offered J.D. Martinez for him. Two days later, Devers gets traded... for Michael Brantley. How Brantley > Martinez, I do not know.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Aynsley said:

Rant about a trade offer: an owner in my league put Rafael Devers on the trade block. I'm thin in the infield and offered J.D. Martinez for him. Two days later, Devers gets traded... for Michael Brantley. How Brantley > Martinez, I do not know.

Short Answer: He's not. 🤣

• Like 2
3 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Ban. The. Shift. Problem solved. I don't even think this is oversimplifying matters. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Ban. The. Shift. Problem solved. I don't even think this is oversimplifying matters. 

Ban the shift and add the Universal DH.  Well except for the Mets when deGrom pitches being as he is their best hitter.  

5 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Don't ya love getting trade offers where you give up the 2 best players in the deal for 4/5 average at best players one of which would give you a backup catcher!!

I usually reject and tell them to come back with something serious, and if they keep spamming me, I'll try to trade whomever it is they like to ANOTHER owner out of spite 🙂

• Like 2
Just now, Richard Kimble said:

I usually reject and tell them to come back with something serious, and if they keep spamming me, I'll try to trade whomever it is they like to ANOTHER owner out of spite 🙂

Sad thing is I think he was serious.  It's funny because I am actively trying to sell Ynoa somewhat high to someone needing SP and the guy thought adding Bryce Harper on my side would even it out 🤣

9 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Don't ya love getting trade offers where you give up the 2 best players in the deal for 4/5 average at best players one of which would give you a backup catcher!!

counter with your worst IL RP for their Mike Trout. Maybe that will give them the hint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, knifeparty said:

I have one guy in my league notorious for that.  A few weeks ago he offered me Corbin and Yelich for Bieber.  This was immediately after the Corbin massacre.  I guess if you make enough ridiculous offers, eventually you'll get one idiot to bite.  

Just got offered AJ Pollock and Dylan Bundy for Lucas Giolito. Made me think of this convo in here.

Sent him back my Giolito for his deGrom straight up. Sadly, I think my joke offer is closer to fair than his original.

Edited by collucho
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I have one guy in my league notorious for that.  A few weeks ago he offered me Corbin and Yelich for Bieber.  This was immediately after the Corbin massacre.  I guess if you make enough ridiculous offers, eventually you'll get one idiot to bite.  

Wasn't Yelich like 4 picks after Bieber normally?  I know he's been out for the last week, but in terms of horrible offers, this isn't even close to the worst I've seen/have heard about 

6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Wasn't Yelich like 4 picks after Bieber normally?  I know he's been out for the last week, but in terms of horrible offers, this isn't even close to the worst I've seen/have heard about 

It is when you take into account the information we have right now (not on draft day).  Who is trading an ace for Yelich today?  Corbin adds nothing and would actually hurt my team.  The point is this guy will notoriously try to sell low on multiple players to get a stud.  He doesn’t even attempt to sell high.  Anyways this was just the one most recent example.  I have received plenty, plenty more that are way more ridiculous from this guy.

• Like 1