NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, this includes myself...

Picture this:  it's the year 2098, the world is a nuclear wasteland.  Buildings are merely empty crumbling shells.  The sky is an orange, purple color, constantly highlighted by dust clouds and freque

All my players who are clearly hurt also play on teams that wait until 10 seconds before the game starts to put guys on the DL. So now I have to watch people take players on my watchlist. Piss me off

Posted Images

6 weeks ago I was really excited about this start to my draft:

Rd 1 Tatis Jr

Rd 2 Giolito 

Rd 3 Seager

Rd 4 Eloy Jimenez 

Now, not so much….

• Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Rd 1 Tatis Jr

Rd 2 Giolito 

Rd 3 Seager

Rd 4 Eloy Jimenez 

Now, not so much….

Man...thats absolutely brutal! Even by vent and rant standards.  I also legitimately without question feel like I'm in the 1 percentile for injury bad luck (17 ILs thus far and 3 season enders).   How do you stay motivated?  Any advice?

24 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Rd 1 Tatis Jr

Rd 2 Giolito 

Rd 3 Seager

Rd 4 Eloy Jimenez 

Now, not so much….

OUCH!

My plan for dealing with teams that get crushed by injuries begins with drafting more teams than I think I'll have time to manage.  Invariably, a pecking order emerges within the first couple of months for the leagues that I need to pay the most attention to vs. the ones where injury luck or poor draft day decision-making has me in a position where I need more of a "Hail Mary" approach.  For the latter category I still set my roster, try to make waiver pickups and trades, etc. but I do so in a way that's more about swinging for the fences, which can sometimes get me back into contention in some of the leagues where things haven't worked out as well.

If you're doing this with at least 3 or 4 leagues each season, the chances are pretty good that you end up with at least one league where you're in contention for most of the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Man...thats absolutely brutal! Even by vent and rant standards.  I also legitimately without question feel like I'm in the 1 percentile for injury bad luck (17 ILs thus far and 3 season enders).   How do you stay motivated?  Any advice?

Sounds like you picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

• Haha 3
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I’d echo what Tony said and add that the fantasy baseball season is a long grind and there is still a ton of season left to go. Many managers lose interest as the season goes on, some start focusing on fantasy football, and others start giving up. I’ll keep grinding and hope for some positive regression with the injuries and underperforming players and look to remain very aggressive on the waiver wire. There are likely several players that are sitting on the waiver wire that will perform as top 100 players over the rest of the season and I’m going to try my best to hit on them. Focus on your process and decision making and try not to dwell on things beyond your control like injuries. 

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

My plan for dealing with teams that get crushed by injuries begins with drafting more teams than I think I'll have time to manage.  Invariably, a pecking order emerges within the first couple of months for the leagues that I need to pay the most attention to vs. the ones where injury luck or poor draft day decision-making has me in a position where I need more of a "Hail Mary" approach.  For the latter category I still set my roster, try to make waiver pickups and trades, etc. but I do so in a way that's more about swinging for the fences, which can sometimes get me back into contention in some of the leagues where things haven't worked out as well.

If you're doing this with at least 3 or 4 leagues each season, the chances are pretty good that you end up with at least one league where you're in contention for most of the season.

Good advice. Probably need to focus on my other 2 teams.  I'm decided to effectively give up on my main event league team. Put the "best" players in the hitting slots, and my good starters in the pitching slots (to get the minimum innings) so I don't completely screw the league since it's a H2H.  Really not enjoying baseball this year at all. It's hard to admit this, but it's been affecting my mood. I lost 5 players this week alone and my team hasn't hit for anything. Weird thing is I'm not even losing, I'm a middle of the pack team right now. But the under .200 with no counting stat days that are almost every night, just suck. It's not the losing to my opponent, that's H2H baseball. It's the total lack of hitting that is just maddening. I'm  not even putting up a fight.  Bottom line, it's not worth my mood or my relationships. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, meh2 said:

Rd 1 Tatis Jr

Rd 2 Giolito 

Rd 3 Seager

Rd 4 Eloy Jimenez 

Now, not so much….

I feel you.  Started a draft with Soto, Freeman, Mondesi, Bogaerts, Jimenez, Suarez, Lynn, and Conforto.  Only 2 of my first 8 picks have done anything

21 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I simply cannot believe that Framber ******** Valdez, the guy they said was going to miss the season, is going to come back before my Kebryan Hayes 

The way this year is going for me,  Dustin May might be back before Kebryan Hayes.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

19 IL on the year, one team has had 1 (a releiver).  Yeah....youre gonna see a lot of me on here.

Edited by Cesare13
On 5/16/2021 at 9:36 AM, Cesare13 said:

How do you stay motivated?  Any advice?

Accept that it is all luck...

• Like 4
3 hours ago, billofwash said:

I can't field a full lineup this week and I can't care due to numbness.

That makes two of us. I'm just letting it ride with an empty spot or two this week because I'm exhausted from figuring out how to replace people on that team. I'm out of reasonable drops. 

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever had a fantasy team have two pitchers go down within a month from hitting their hands on something off the field. Way to go Luzardo and Ynoa!

4 minutes ago, Caelum said:

I don't think I've ever had a fantasy team have two pitchers go down within a month from hitting their hands on something off the field. Way to go Luzardo and Ynoa!

Yeah, Ynoa injury hurts. That's why I'm here. Have him in every league. Had Luzardo as well. Oh well.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Caelum said:

That makes two of us. I'm just letting it ride with an empty spot or two this week because I'm exhausted from figuring out how to replace people on that team. I'm out of reasonable drops. 

Exactly.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Caelum said:

I play in a daily H2H, I made all my moves (4) I have this week today. Still don't have a full team.  Looked at each day and set the pitching up for the starters, batters are set (I have no bench).  I'm sure the 4 losers I picked up today will be injured or totally ineffective by the end of the week. So I set it and now I'm not looking.  This year has just sucked. I've never lost interest in baseball so fast. Really never lost interest before period, but the product this year is just bad. And funny thing is, I'm a middle of the pack team, just not enjoying it at all. 

Edited by CardiacDO
  • Like 1

Had to put Stanton on the IL. He joins Marco Gonzales, my only other player to hit the IL this year.

Brutal stretch of injuries I'm battling through at the moment.  Feel free to send sympathy. 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

I play in a daily H2H, I made all my moves (4) I have this week today. Still don't have a full team.  Looked at each day and set the pitching up for the starters, batters are set (I have no bench).  I'm sure the 4 losers I picked up today will be injured or totally ineffective by the end of the week. So I set it and now I'm not looking.  This year has just sucked. I've never lost interest in baseball so fast. Really never lost interest before period, but the product this year is just bad. And funny thing is, I'm a middle of the pack team, just not enjoying it at all. 

You are not alone my friend!  Basically the same thing sitting in 7th out of 12 in a H2H but it feels like I should be in dead last.  Combo of just not hitting and injuries that hit you nonstop everyday have made this year so unenjoyable thus far.  On top of that every trade I have offered has been declined or countered with nonsense.  Had a deal to get Kyle Tucker when he was really struggling for my Ynoa but then the guy lost Buxton and backed out of the deal.  That trade that could have been has been my season in a nutshell.