NBC Sports Edge Forums

51 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I do want to rant about something in fantasy in general that I have always hated-what happens when you have players you manage against your favorite team. Tonight Waino is starting against the Cubs, and so I want him to be destroyed, but that would not be good for one of my fantasy teams. He pitches well, I'm very guilty that I feel happy for my fantasy squad. 

It really is the aspect that I dislike most about playing fantasy, the way it taints some enjoyment of the bigger games when you're more focused on the impact to your team than enjoying the special game. I feel like this will get much worse in years to come, as Daily becomes more popular and betting opens up in sports books at stadiums across the country. People will be more invested in their wager than anything, so you'll go see Vlad Jr. come to town, but hate him when you make a prop bet that he hits a HR and he doesn't. 

When you’re a Pirates fan like me, none of this matters.  You know their season is over Day 1 so may as well just root for your fantasy team!

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, this includes myself...

Picture this:  it's the year 2098, the world is a nuclear wasteland.  Buildings are merely empty crumbling shells.  The sky is an orange, purple color, constantly highlighted by dust clouds and freque

All my players who are clearly hurt also play on teams that wait until 10 seconds before the game starts to put guys on the DL. So now I have to watch people take players on my watchlist. Piss me off

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

When you’re a Pirates fan like me, none of this matters.  You know their season is over Day 1 so may as well just root for your fantasy team!

That is how I really got into fantasy baseball. I knew some very dark days were coming when they let Barry Bonds and Doug Drabek go as free agents after the 1992 season. The system is stacked against them and ownership refuses to even try. I haven't really cared whether they won or lost since Sid Bream beat the throw home to beat them in Game 7 of the NLCS that season. 

That was also my first year of fantasy baseball, and I was hooked. 

Then we have weeks like this one. My money-league team was dead last two weeks into the season. The injuries have just been brutal, but I had managed to scrape together a decent pitching staff to go with a good offense and climbed back into contention. Then May blew out his arm and Eduardo Rodriguez forgot how to pitch. This on top of Castillo completely falling apart this season. My offense is as good as any in the league and I'm hopefully getting Bellinger and Hayes back soon, but my pitching is a disaster. I even traded for Strasburg, which is a serious roll of the dice. 

I feel like this entire season has been filling a sieve with sand. (I'm re-reading Fahrenheit 451, for those who get the reference.)

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

Today is "family day" and I have a low supply of edibles so 1) kill me and 2) since I'm actually winning going into a sunday for the first time in weeks, I'm going to preemptively rant about the collapse of my merry bunch of losers.

It happens every sunday. Every damn sunday.  

I'm convinced Freeman and Acuna are alcoholics since they never do anything on a sunday unless it's a late game. 

Ah yes, Atlanta scores 7 and those drunks Acuna and Freeman do nothing.  My team goes 1/23 and I go from a 10-4 lead to a 9-5 loss. Literally everything went wrong down to a reliever loss to lose a category. 

This is the most unsatisfying year I have had in 20 years of playing. I went on a rage dropping spree today.  I really shouldn't get this pissed about fantasy baseball. I never have in the past. I don't know why this year is driving me absolutely f'n crazy. 

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Its a dang shame the Pirates don't try a little harder to put a competitive team on the field. I am a Reds fan and we have our problems also with front office persoanal. But at least from time to time we have a good team that can compete for a division title every once in a while. PNC park is also the best baseball park in the league its almost perfect IMO and I have  been to  47 diffrent MLB parks. 

Edited by mks
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, mks said:

Its a dang shame the Pirates don't try a little harder to put a competitive team on the field. I am a Reds fan and we have our problems also with front office persoanal. But at least from time to time we have a good team that can compete for a division title every once in a while. PNC park is also the best baseball park in the league its almost perfect IMO and I have  been to  47 diffrent MLB parks. 

Their owner is a notorious skinflint who’s only in it to make money and cut costs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Their owner is a notorious skinflint who’s only in it to make money and cut costs

Don't encourage me. I can go on for quite a while about Bob Nutting being among the very worst owners in all of professional sports. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It's criminal what their ownership is doing.  Not really but it still sucks.  No interest in winning at all.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Words said:

Don't encourage me. I can go on for quite a while about Bob Nutting being among the very worst owners in all of professional sports. 

Remember a long time ago when there were rumors that Mark Cuban wanted to buy the team?  That was the most excited I've ever been in my life (and I'm 43 years old with a wife and 2 kids).

Edited by mehtavg2000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

It's criminal what their ownership is doing.  Not really but it still sucks.  No interest in winning at all.  

I made these same arguments a few weeks ago in the Pirates team thread, definitely suggest the mods take this over there if they view it as a thread derail, although it is venting and ranting to complain about terrible team ownership. There are the incompetently overconfident (Rockies, Phillies, Angels) the impressively unoriginal (Diamondbacks, Rangers, Mets) and the mid-market apologists (Indians, Athletics, Mariners, Pirates) who never commit to free agents and are always trading players away before arbitration. There are others I could name but you get the idea, they're mostly operating their franchises with little desire to win and some don't even care to put an entertaining product on the field (Pirates slowplaying Hayes this year and betcha he gets shutdown late this year) so I hate the colluding oligarch owners that control MLB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Thats what the Bengals do ha ha ha. We know all about that in cincy. However the Reds use to have a owner who wanted to win but shes dead now. WE miss you Marge. 1990 was a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Words said:

Mike Brown is in the top 3 worst at least.

1 hour ago, mks said:

Thats what the Bengals do ha ha ha. We know all about that in cincy. However the Reds use to have a owner who wanted to win but shes dead now. WE miss you Marge. 1990 was a long time ago.

Yeah.  Um...she had some other problems of her own, I’m afraid.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I do want to rant about something in fantasy in general that I have always hated-what happens when you have players you manage against your favorite team. Tonight Waino is starting against the Cubs, and so I want him to be destroyed, but that would not be good for one of my fantasy teams. He pitches well, I'm very guilty that I feel happy for my fantasy squad. 

It really is the aspect that I dislike most about playing fantasy, the way it taints some enjoyment of the bigger games when you're more focused on the impact to your team than enjoying the special game. I feel like this will get much worse in years to come, as Daily becomes more popular and betting opens up in sports books at stadiums across the country. People will be more invested in their wager than anything, so you'll go see Vlad Jr. come to town, but hate him when you make a prop bet that he hits a HR and he doesn't. 

I barely care about the teams I'm a fan of now for all the reasons you mentioned. 

It's liberating. Don't have to worry about things like do I root for this wife beater*? Do I root for this entertainment corporation that just extorted millions of dollars in school money from my city? Do I root for a team that is genuinely not even trying to win?

I root for guys I like, on or off the field. For teams that try to win. For my fantasy/betting interests. If I go to a game I usually just root root root for the home team, wherever that might be. My enjoyment of watching games has gone up, if anything.

*Sure I might be hoping for a wife beater to aid my cause, but I'm not standing up and cheering for him or trying to play down what he did. I feel no conflict about it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BMcP said:

Name a sports owner thats without sin?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BMcP said:

That is an entirely different issue. She certainly wanted to win, but maybe not the best example of what we should want in a sports owner. 

I don't know of any such issues with Bob Nutting. I do know he has way to much money to pinch pennies the way he does. The Pirates went 22 years without a winning record, much less a playoff berth, most of that on his watch. When they finally broke the streak and made the playoffs in 2013, his response was to cut payroll and raise ticket prices, lying to Pirates fans about trying to win. The only thing he is trying to do is protect his profit margin. 

Turning this back to fantasy baseball, hopefully, Ke'Bryan Hayes is back when he is eligible in early June. Sadly, he will have very little around him. Even with Adam Frazier playing way over his head, that team is a joke. 

Edited by Words
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Don't have to worry about things like do I root for this wife beater*

Oh man this was me in 2016 when the Cubs went and got Aroldis Chapman, and them winning at last was very liberating because I more or less don't care who wins the title anymore, either. Definitely agree with what you said. I'm also less than surprised to see mks defending Marge Schott of all people. 

Posted (edited)

The only people NOT injured in all of baseball are the guys on the pool douchebags team, only the guys on my team that have been awful all season,  and the guys blocking  My prospect stashes.  All perfect models of health.

Edited by Cesare13
4 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

Why do I keep thinking David Peterson can pitch? 🤬

I wonder the same thing with Blake Snell. Why do I believe he will ever be close to his CY season again. Ever since he dropped a statue on his foot and broke it he has sucked.

First time playing fantasy baseball and figured with how long the season was drafting some injured players at a discount could really pay off. Drafted Soroka, Carrasco, and Syndergaard looking like I might go 0-3 there.

Also Machado and Ozuna as my 2nd and 3rd picks, so much pain.