NBC Sports Edge Forums

They are going to experiment with a mound 61-6 from home plate in some game in the minors this yr. Image pitching your whole life on a mound 60-6 and then having to try to pitch on a mound a foot farther away? Of all these dumb gimmick rule changes this is the the dumbest of them all.  I image a lot of breaking balls bouncing a foot in front of the plate is all that will happen.

Edited by mks
  • Like 2
  • Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picture this:  it's the year 2098, the world is a nuclear wasteland.  Buildings are merely empty crumbling shells.  The sky is an orange, purple color, constantly highlighted by dust clouds and freque

Yes, this includes myself...

Donkey Johnson? Did he play in the pre 1900 era?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

15 team Draft and Hold league with 50 player roster - currently 15 of my players on IL  😩

ouch!  I'm in 1 of those leagues and I thought I was hurting with 7 on the IL

47 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

15 team Draft and Hold league with 50 player roster - currently 15 of my players on IL  😩

15?? Egads!  Even by "vent and rant " standards.  That'd awful!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mks said:

They are going to experiment with a mound 61-6 from home plate in some game in the minors this yr. Image pitching your whole life on a mound 60-6 and then having to try to pitch on a mound a foot farther away? Of all these dumb gimmick rule changes this is the the dumbest of them all.  I image a lot of breaking balls bouncing a foot in front of the plate is all that will happen.

Pitchers spend so much time trying to hit the edges and bottom of the zone with their pitches and this could throw everything off.

21 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Ugh!!  Give me ONE good thing. ONE!!!  Everyone else gets one....just one...im not being selfish.  Sorry, had to get it out of my system 

You and I might have some of the same players; Castillo, Plesac, Abreu, Moncada, Lourdes, d’Arneau, Gleyber, Santander, Yelich, Paddack....   Haven’t batted above .200 in five days and one homer all week.   And pitching has been a nightmare.   The only good start I’ve had this week was from Cueto, who of course hurt himself and lost the QS.   

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mbc1999 said:

You and I might have some of the same players; Castillo, Plesac, Abreu, Moncada, Lourdes, d’Arneau, Gleyber, Santander, Yelich, Paddack....   Haven’t batted above .200 in five days and one homer all week.   And pitching has been a nightmare.   The only good start I’ve had this week was from Cueto, who of course hurt himself and lost the QS.   

Hahah...thanks for making me laugh.  Needed it after this week.  I'm STUNNED we share no players.  Well glad the worst week of the season is behind us right....RIGHT?   

Best of luck the rest of the way.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SpazAB said:

So.... What's going on with Joc Pederson?? 

Thought for sure he was gonna be solid. Could be pressing, since none of the Cubs bats are tearing it up at the moment. 

17 hours ago, mks said:

Highly recommend you read / listen to the article with Theo Epstein about the state of the game today on the athletic. He has a great point in there that fans want a more enjoyable game on the field but don’t want the changes that would actually lead to it. This is one of those changes. 

Specifically has to do with velocity, batter reaction time and strikeouts. I know I would love to see a game with more balls in play and fewer “three true outcomes” I’m all for testing ideas like this in the minors to get us there. 

Link (Paywall but worth the cost): https://theathletic.com/2486998/2021/03/30/theo-epstein-speaks-we-should-be-shooting-for-the-absolute-very-best-version-of-the-game/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by mudrummer
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, mbc1999 said:

4 hours ago, mudrummer said:

Highly recommend you read / listen to the article with Theo Epstein about the state of the game today on the athletic. He has a great point in there that fans want a more enjoyable game on the field but don’t want the changes that would actually lead to it. This is one of those changes. 

Specifically has to do with velocity, batter reaction time and strikeouts. I know I would love to see a game with more balls in play and fewer “three true outcomes” I’m all for testing ideas like this in the minors to get us there. 

Link (Paywall but worth the cost): https://theathletic.com/2486998/2021/03/30/theo-epstein-speaks-we-should-be-shooting-for-the-absolute-very-best-version-of-the-game/?source=user_shared_article

I am all for tweeks to rules to modernize the game. BUT this is changing the diminsions of the field. The dimisions of the field has never changed in 150 year that must stay the same IMO. What about moving the bases to 89 or 91 feet or making the size of home plate bigger. Move the mound in 6 inches not farther away. These changes I don't like. People talk about the DH in thr NL I don;t like that but a rule change I could accept would be a 8 hitter line up skip the pitcher if you don;t want pitchers hitting. I feel baseball players should be able to play defense and hit over all abilities. If you can't field a position you don't get a spot in the batting order.  Raising the mound back to pre 1968 levels would be cool that would help pitchers more. A home run should be more rare then it is now. Its not special when 4-5 are hit a game. I rather teams have to try to score runs on RBI  singles and doubles then just sit and wait on the 3 run homer. Stealing bases would be more importent too to get into scoring position. I don;t know, to much change IMO ruins the game.  

Edited by mks
5 minutes ago, mks said:

I am all for tweeks to rules to modernize the game. BUT this is changing the diminsions of the field. The dimisions of the field has never changed in 150 year that must stay the same IMO. What about moving the bases to 89 or 91 feet or making the size of home plate bigger. Move the mound in 6 inches not farther away. These changes I don't like. People talk about the DH in thr NL I don;t like that but a rule change I could accept would be a 8 hitter line up skip the pitcher if you don;t want pitchers hitting. I feel baseball players should be able to play defense and hit over all abilities. If you can't field a position you don't get a spot in the batting order.  Raising the mound back to pre 1968 levels would be cool that would help pitchers more. A home run should be more rare then it is now. Its not special when 4-5 are hit a game. I rather teams have to try to score runs on RBI  singles and doubles then just sit and wait on the 3 run homer. Stealing bases would be more importent too to get into scoring position. I don;t know, to much change IMO ruins the game.  

Moving the mound back is mlb’s aim to get the ball in play more rather than just the three true outcome. Pitchers are throwing harder than they did in the past and hitters have even less time to react. I am not totally saying it’s the hitters fault cause they could maybe take a cue from players in the past about how to be better hitters. 

22 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Moving the mound back is mlb’s aim to get the ball in play more rather than just the three true outcome. Pitchers are throwing harder than they did in the past and hitters have even less time to react. I am not totally saying it’s the hitters fault cause they could maybe take a cue from players in the past about how to be better hitters. 

I agree. Hitters could get the ball in play more if they didn't go up to the plate swinging for the fences every AB. Thats the part of baseball thats changed. Rememember when striking out was a shameful thing to do? Well its not any more its been accepted so batters just take 3 hard wacks at trying to hit a homer and if they strike out so be it. Balls are not in play has much now cause the hitters are not making contact lots of swinging and missing. Ichiro was really the last contact 1st guy in baseball we had in. He never cared so much to hit a homer just put it in play someplace.

I went batter heavy as always. Usually a safe bet. Here are guys I can't start right now:

Mookie

Springer

Kyle Lewis

Ketel Marte

Yordan Alvarez

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I went batter heavy as always. Usually a safe bet. Here are guys I can't start right now:

Mookie

Springer

Kyle Lewis

Ketel Marte

Yordan Alvarez

🤦‍♂️

i forgot ii had lewis and springer on my team!

Y’all ever get these...

”Hey man, would you trade Player X for Player Y?”

”Yea, I’d do that.”

”Ok, let me think about it longer.”

Like, YOU offered it dude! 😄

26 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Y’all ever get these...

”Hey man, would you trade Player X for Player Y?”

”Yea, I’d do that.”

”Ok, let me think about it longer.”

Like, YOU offered it dude! 😄

I think it’s fine to gauge interest in a hypothetical trade?  Usually when I do this I say “in theory, and I’m still not sure I would 100% pull the trigger, would you do X for Y” to preface it though 

Half my team will be missing games again today due to illiness hammys or snow outs its always something. I basically have lost so many games played this yr already  My teams never going to catch up to the few teams that managed to make it thru uneffected. In other words My seasons pretty much over already in all my points lgs.