NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Yastrzemski 2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

At least this gives his hand time to heal a bit.

I still believe. I know he hasn’t produced what we were hoping yet, but I still think it’ll come eventually. 

He's actually had a solid last couple of weeks prior to this injury. 

Giants placed OF Mike Yastrzemski on the 10-day injured list with a left oblique strain.

Advice: The Giants were hoping the 30-year-old would avoid the injured list, but have obviously opted to be cautious after the outfielder tested the oblique Wednesday afternoon.. Sam Selman was recalled from the team's alternate site to take Yastrzemski's place on the roster.

Let's hope he heals up soon enough, I kind of suspected this was coming today after seeing the Giants traded for Mike Tauchmann last night. 

4 minutes ago, FearTheHawk said:

Last I heard was that he's on track for a saturday activation.

Yes - the last report I saw was this weekend he is being activated.

He was starting to hit when this injury happened - should be interesting to see how he bounces back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

His OPS over the last two weeks is .940 so while the counting stats haven't been great this seems like a good sign for the rest of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I didn't even hear about this thumb sprain until now, late west coast games always miss me.

Mike Yastrzemski has been diagnosed with a right thumb sprain.

Advice: The good news is that X-rays turned up negative for any structural damage. Yastrzemski sprained the thumb while crashing hard into the right field wall at Oracle Park in the top of the fourth inning Tuesday night against the Angels. Steven Duggar pinch hit for him in the bottom of the fourth and then moved into the outfield.

So he's going on the IL right? He seems ready to take off and then keeps getting a nagging setback, its getting annoying but what can you do. Hope they give us a clear timeline soon. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

It’s definitely been pretty frustrating owning him  so far. I don’t know if I’m delusional or just really like the guy, but I just feel that he’s going to figure it out at some point. Waiver wires are pretty ugly at this point so I’m just hoping for the best. You can’t really drop him unless you’re in shallow leagues.... I would think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

It’s definitely been pretty frustrating owning him  so far. I don’t know if I’m delusional or just really like the guy, but I just feel that he’s going to figure it out at some point. Waiver wires are pretty ugly at this point so I’m just hoping for the best. You can’t really drop him unless you’re in shallow leagues.... I would think.

I think he has it figured out a lot.  But the body isn't able to do what the mind is telling it to do right now.  And the more he is out the more his timing gets messed up.  He has been snake bit so far this year.  When healthy and after the rust is off I have full confidence in him.  Just need to prevent any more snakes from biting him.

Posted (edited)

The injuries have sucked so far but my hope is that they are the cause for his struggles this season.  I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't creep in my mind that maybe we are seeing why it took him so long to make a big league roster at 28 years old.  I really do hope that is not the case but we really only have a full season to go off of if you combine his 2019-2020 stats.  Now those combined stats are really good but prior to that he was a average at best player at the minor league level.  I own him in a lot of leagues so I 1000% hope I am a fool for thinking this but we will have to see.

Edited by knifeparty

I believe I saw something that the Giants haven't had a 30 homer hitter since... Barry Bonds.  Even with a healthy Yaz, he's not going to hit homers at the level some of us hoped he might this season (someone that would be that late draftee/30 homer hitter);  couple in the continuous injuries and I'm perfectly OK with someone else rostering him with some semblance of hope.

I don't think any Giants player hits 30 this year, but that stat still blows my mind.

I still like Yas a lot.... but it is fair to question if he wasn't a one-year wonder journeyman. They're pretty plentiful, even on active rosters. They're just not expected to hit 25 HR and be your heart-of-the-order hitter...

11 hours ago, knifeparty said:

The injuries have sucked so far but my hope is that they are the cause for his struggles this season.  I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't creep in my mind that maybe we are seeing why it took him so long to make a big league roster at 28 years old.  ...

Do you not know his back story?  He wasn't up because he was in the Baltimore organization for years where their coaching screwed him up.  Gets shipped off to SF and he is up and playing in about a month of the trade and hasn't looked back.  What organization a prospect is with makes a big difference. Just ask the endless players that got screwed in the Seattle minors.

6 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I believe I saw something that the Giants haven't had a 30 homer hitter since... Barry Bonds.

That is all about their ballpark.  It sucks for hitters.  It is the anti-Coors.

6 hours ago, nlm said:

I still like Yas a lot.... but it is fair to question if he wasn't a one-year wonder journeyman. They're pretty plentiful, even on active rosters. They're just not expected to hit 25 HR and be your heart-of-the-order hitter...

He has had two really good seasons, not one.  And no he is not a mere journeyman.  He is a Giant and not in the O's organization and that has made the difference. 

JP Martinez went through the same skepticism when he started hitting like crazy with Detroit.  Why did Houston give up on him?  Must be a journeyman one-season wonder because he wasn't doing this at age 23 with the Astros etc etc.  The coaches you work with can make a huge difference.  Players can change their whole approach and change their future in so doing.  Context matters.

Also is is YAZ, not Yas.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Do you not know his back story?  He wasn't up because he was in the Baltimore organization for years where their coaching screwed him up.  Gets shipped off to SF and he is up and playing in about a month of the trade and hasn't looked back.  What organization a prospect is with makes a big difference. Just ask the endless players that got screwed in the Seattle minors.

I do remember the story about that but just looking at his minor league numbers I have some concerns.  Not saying a player can't find his game in his late 20's but it's rare.  Again I watched him since his call-up in 2019 and am a huge fan.  I don't want him to be bad I just hope this season's struggles are a result of the nagging injuries and not him reverting back to his pre 2019 self.