NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miami Dolphins 2021 Outlook

6 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

I'd assume if Bengals decide against OL help, they would go for Burrows former teammate, Chase. 

I don't think it even matters.  At 1.6 there's no bad answer for the Dolphins no matter who the Bengals (and to lesser extent, the Falcons or whoever trades for the 1.4 or 1.5 picks) chooses;  Sewell, Pitts, or Chase would all be great picks for the 'Fins. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I think Parsons is in the conversation, I think they are targeting a weapon for Tua at #6. Pitts, Chase, Smith and Waddle in that order for me. Sewell I don't think it making it to #6. But,

it’s kinda funny to think that if Miami wins a super bowl in the next 10-20 years it will likely be because of Bill O’Brien and Laremy Tunsil. The gifts that keep on giving.   thanks for the

8 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Tua will be just fine with real weapons to throw to. Hoping they snag Pitts, one of Najee/Javonte and a WR in the 3rd or so

Pitts is growing on me now as the best option at #6. They really could use a pass rusher or two to compete against the Bills. 

8 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Tua will be just fine with real weapons to throw to. Hoping they snag Pitts, one of Najee/Javonte and a WR in the 3rd or so

Tua was one of the least accurate QBs in the league last year and that didn't have much to do with weapons. He needs to get a lot better this offseason and I think a more traditional offseason program this year will help that. 

There were too many throws down the field that he just missed. 

On 4/3/2021 at 2:25 AM, Deuce1042 said:

Tua was one of the least accurate QBs in the league last year and that didn't have much to do with weapons. He needs to get a lot better this offseason and I think a more traditional offseason program this year will help that. 

There were too many throws down the field that he just missed. 

where are you getting your information from?

Tua had a completion percentage of 64%

I saw plenty of rookie QBs miss throws. 

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

where are you getting your information from?

Tua had a completion percentage of 64%

I saw plenty of rookie QBs miss throws. 

Completion % =/= Accuracy. Tua had low average depth of target and yards per completion (meaning he didn't push the ball downfield much at all), so his completion percentage doesn't mean much in that context. You can check pro football reference for this information. He also had one of the lowest depth adjusted accuracies in the NFL among starters and was terrible in the intermediate last season. 

Edited by Deuce1042

Tua is a bust so far, but I still have hope for him. He's not showing any touch on his throws, it's just fast balls into coverage or uncatchable inaccurate passes. However, as all know he's coming off some serious injury issues and perhaps needed more time to get comfortable post injury. I think Miami should have let him sit last year and strengthen the team around him this offseason so he can better exploit his talents. He looked too nervous last year throwing early into coverage, not setting his feet and just seemed like he was trying to avoid contact. Some post injury doubts are to be expected and I'm looking forward to seeing him this year with more time with the team and hopefully some upgrades around him. Best wishes Tua, hope u light it up this year!  

• Like 1

I’ve written more about Tua so far this off-season than I ever expected - but man, rejoice if league-mates peg him as inaccurate and a bust at the pro level.  I’m frightened to see how much more talent the team adds in this draft.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:06 AM, theSPANKER said:

Pitts is growing on me now as the best option at #6. They really could use a pass rusher or two to compete against the Bills. 

what’s the obsession with Pitts to Miami?

who was the last TE drafted that had an immediate impact on offense?

I feel like Gesicki is as good a pass catcher as Pitts. So I don’t think he gives you a lot more than what you have already got.

Unless you are planning on turning him into a straight up WR. Do you start him over Gesicki? Do you play Gesicki and Pitts at the same time? Mostly 12 personnel? When your QB is an RPO guy?

pitts is talented but how does he fit with Miami?

13 hours ago, Blazer said:

Tua is a bust so far, but I still have hope for him. He's not showing any touch on his throws, it's just fast balls into coverage or uncatchable inaccurate passes. However, as all know he's coming off some serious injury issues and perhaps needed more time to get comfortable post injury. I think Miami should have let him sit last year and strengthen the team around him this offseason so he can better exploit his talents. He looked too nervous last year throwing early into coverage, not setting his feet and just seemed like he was trying to avoid contact. Some post injury doubts are to be expected and I'm looking forward to seeing him this year with more time with the team and hopefully some upgrades around him. Best wishes Tua, hope u light it up this year!  

Tua is a bust so far? Lol, based on what? He has more wins as a starting QB than Burrow or Herbert, are they busts?

You would have rather let Tua sit all year so he could go through his growing pains to start the 2021 season after not having played any football in a game in over 2 and a half years? Hard to imagine he would not have had some struggles at that point as well.

I was hoping for a head coach or offensive coordinator who could play to Tua’s strengths but he didn’t get that. Drew Brees was a back up QB under Mart Schottenheimer, under Sean Peyton he is a HOF QB. So it’s yet to be determined how Tua’a career will go but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him a bust.

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

what’s the obsession with Pitts to Miami?

who was the last TE drafted that had an immediate impact on offense?

I feel like Gesicki is as good a pass catcher as Pitts. So I don’t think he gives you a lot more than what you have already got.

Unless you are planning on turning him into a straight up WR. Do you start him over Gesicki? Do you play Gesicki and Pitts at the same time? Mostly 12 personnel? When your QB is an RPO guy?

pitts is talented but how does he fit with Miami?

You may be completely right with your overall assessment with Pitts talent-wise and if he would be a good fit within Miami's offense.

I'm just lookin at it from the perspective of how deep the talent pool is for TEs in this draft. From my readings on Pitts, he's essentially an elite WR in a TE's body supposedly a generational talent in a scarce position. While WR is relatively deep for this draft class?

Also, Flores being a disciple of Belichick may want to utilize the same offense philosophy Belichick used in NE.   Having two elite TEs supposedly opens up the offense and puts a lot of pressure on defenses like when NE had Gronk and Hernandez.  

My statement about Pitts are just from my readings and opinions of players by commentators I've watched in draft videos.  

Who do you think Miami should draft at #6?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

You may be completely right with your overall assessment with Pitts talent-wise and if he would be a good fit within Miami's offense.

I'm just lookin at it from the perspective of how deep the talent pool is for TEs in this draft. From my readings on Pitts, he's essentially an elite WR in a TE's body supposedly a generational talent in a scarce position. While WR is relatively deep for this draft class?

Also, Flores being a disciple of Belichick may want to utilize the same offense philosophy Belichick used in NE.   Having two elite TEs supposedly opens up the offense and puts a lot of pressure on defenses like when NE had Gronk and Hernandez.  

My statement about Pitts are just from my readings and opinions of players by commentators I've watched in draft videos.  

Who do you think Miami should draft at #6?

thank you for this well thought out response.

you make a few salient points that I’d taken for granted.

1. you are right on the money about Miami needing pass catchers whether it be TE or WR or a hybrid they just need playmakers and Pitts is supposedly one of the best in this draft. 

2. you couldn’t be more right about Flores wanting to be like Belichick. I completely agree, it’s the only guy he ever coached for and had ridiculous success with him so it makes sense that he would craft his entire team in that image. You can see that happening on defense already. They have one of the best defenses in the league and I think that is a direct result of Flores being a Belichick disciple, he certainly gets the best from his defense. I’ve come around to the idea of pairing Pitts with Gesicki for the reasons you have pointed out, the pressure it puts on a defense. I just wish Flores could find his Josh McDaniels cause he has failed with all his OC hires so far. That’s my only real concern, is getting an offensive guru who can unlock help unlock this offense.

im not sure who the Dolphins should take at 6, I had thought the Bengals should take Pitts because they have no good TE but if Sewell is available I’d have to think Cincy goes Sewell or Jamar Chase. 

Miami probably predicted the first 4 picks would be QBs when they moved down to 6 so they figured they would get the 2nd best non QB on the board. 

I guess after re-considering the Dolphins can sit back and see who the Bengals take. If Cincy takes Sewell of Chase then I think Miami probably takes Kyle Pitts. If the Bengals take Pitts they can choose between Sewell/Slater, Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. That’s a win/win in my opinion.

• Like 1

You are inordinately concerned with the OC situation.  It’s gonna be just fine, Cleats.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:05 AM, Deuce1042 said:

Completion % =/= Accuracy. Tua had low average depth of target and yards per completion (meaning he didn't push the ball downfield much at all), so his completion percentage doesn't mean much in that context. You can check pro football reference for this information. He also had one of the lowest depth adjusted accuracies in the NFL among starters and was terrible in the intermediate last season. 

He also had som of the least efficient WR’s in the NFL. And he also came in to his rookie season without a training camp coming off a near catastrophic hip injury. He had some bright spots given the circumstances. As a dynasty owner I had zero expectations for him to even play - let alone play well - in 2020. He’s set up to have a much better 2021. People want to say he’s no good because Alabama had all those stars but it was Tua making all those throws. And where were all those amazing Bama receivers tearing up the NFL last year with Jeudy and Ruggs? How come Lock and Carr weren’t vying for NFL MVP? I’m not saying it was all Tua, but it also wasn’t all his players. People used to say great QBs have the ability to elevate those around them. People also forget that he played in the SEC which is an NFL factory but have no problem praising the future star Zach Wilson out of BYU. Not all of my comments are directed at the OP, just a general Tua rant as so many to want to pass final judgment on Tua based on a fragment of a rookie season in a pandemic. The jury is still out. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

thank you for this well thought out response.

you make a few salient points that I’d taken for granted.

1. you are right on the money about Miami needing pass catchers whether it be TE or WR or a hybrid they just need playmakers and Pitts is supposedly one of the best in this draft. 

2. you couldn’t be more right about Flores wanting to be like Belichick. I completely agree, it’s the only guy he ever coached for and had ridiculous success with him so it makes sense that he would craft his entire team in that image. You can see that happening on defense already. They have one of the best defenses in the league and I think that is a direct result of Flores being a Belichick disciple, he certainly gets the best from his defense. I’ve come around to the idea of pairing Pitts with Gesicki for the reasons you have pointed out, the pressure it puts on a defense. I just wish Flores could find his Josh McDaniels cause he has failed with all his OC hires so far. That’s my only real concern, is getting an offensive guru who can unlock help unlock this offense.

im not sure who the Dolphins should take at 6, I had thought the Bengals should take Pitts because they have no good TE but if Sewell is available I’d have to think Cincy goes Sewell or Jamar Chase. 

Miami probably predicted the first 4 picks would be QBs when they moved down to 6 so they figured they would get the 2nd best non QB on the board. 

I guess after re-considering the Dolphins can sit back and see who the Bengals take. If Cincy takes Sewell of Chase then I think Miami probably takes Kyle Pitts. If the Bengals take Pitts they can choose between Sewell/Slater, Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. That’s a win/win in my opinion.

Happy to hear the logic I presented makes sense to you. Pitts is supposedly a unicorn at the position therefore based on positional scarcity it may make a lot of sense to take him to help Tua's confidence/development and still get value at the WR later in the draft. 

I was all on the Chase hype-train until I did more in depth reading on Pitts potential.  

As you somewhat stated, CINN logically should take Sewell at #5.  I really can't see how they pass over him given how much Burrow was under duress leading to his season injury. They must shore up their OL and protect their franchise QB no matter what IMHO.

If the draft logically goes the way it should (like you stated), Miami will get the second non-QB in the draft.  If anyone leapfrogs #6, they are likely trading up for a QB which doesn't affect Flores/Grier draft plans.

The Tunsil trade to Houston was a gift from heaven that continues to keep on giving.

Now all the Dolphins must do is capitalize on their good fortune and not mess this up.... 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Happy to hear the logic I presented makes sense to you. Pitts is supposedly a unicorn at the position therefore based on positional scarcity it may make a lot of sense to take him to help Tua's confidence/development and still get value at the WR later in the draft. 

I was all on the Chase hype-train until I did more in depth reading on Pitts potential.  

As you somewhat stated, CINN logically should take Sewell at #5.  I really can't see how they pass over him given how much Burrow was under duress leading to his season injury. They must shore up their OL and protect their franchise QB no matter what IMHO.

If the draft logically goes the way it should (like you stated), Miami will get the second non-QB in the draft.  If anyone leapfrogs #6, they are likely trading up for a QB which doesn't affect Flores/Grier draft plans.

The Tunsil trade to Houston was a gift from heaven that continues to keep on giving.

Now all the Dolphins must do is capitalize on their good fortune and not mess this up.... 

it’s kinda funny to think that if Miami wins a super bowl in the next 10-20 years it will likely be because of Bill O’Brien and Laremy Tunsil. The gifts that keep on giving.

thanks for the discourse, I believe our thoughts on this line up pretty well.

I was unsure how Pitts would fit initially since they have Gesicki but I’m open to having my mind changed and you don’t want to pass up on someone with such a high ceiling who fits what you want to do on offense. 

as a Tua dynasty owner I’m pulling for them to take Pitts now. Haha.

they can take Ihmir Smith Marsette and Jaelon Darden later rounds to get some explosive WRs and run after the catch guys to pair with Pitts.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

You are inordinately concerned with the OC situation.  It’s gonna be just fine, Cleats.

rightfully so. 

was Bill Belichick doing great with the Browns and early years of NE before he got the GOAT Brady and an offensive mind like McDaniels?

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

rightfully so. 

was Bill Belichick doing great with the Browns and early years of NE before he got the GOAT Brady and an offensive mind like McDaniels?

I don’t understand how one example over the last quarter-century proves anything - except that cheaters flock together?

53 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don’t understand how one example over the last quarter-century proves anything - except that cheaters flock together?

I can give more examples where a Head Coach hires someone who is equally as good at their coordinator position as the Head Coach is at his specialty

Bill Belichick HC and Defense, Josh McDaniels as OC

Bruce Arianas as HC and Offense, Todd Bowles as DC

Andy Reid as HC and Offense, Steve Spagnuolo as DC

Flores needs to fine someone equally as cutting edge on offense as he is on defense. Someone who can play to his players strengths and maximize their potential.

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I can give more examples where a Head Coach hires someone who is equally as good at their coordinator position as the Head Coach is at his specialty

Bill Belichick HC and Defense, Josh McDaniels as OC

Bruce Arianas as HC and Offense, Todd Bowles as DC

Andy Reid as HC and Offense, Steve Spagnuolo as DC

Flores needs to fine someone equally as cutting edge on offense as he is on defense. Someone who can play to his players strengths and maximize their potential.

Flores is still in the process of figuring out who his offensive players are - he still doesn’t know and neither do we.  It’s not necessarily about being “cutting-edge” either - unless you are citing guys like Spags and Bowles as recent arrivistes who are just now beginning to change the way the NFL approaches defense.

3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

He also had som of the least efficient WR’s in the NFL. And he also came in to his rookie season without a training camp coming off a near catastrophic hip injury. He had some bright spots given the circumstances. As a dynasty owner I had zero expectations for him to even play - let alone play well - in 2020. He’s set up to have a much better 2021. People want to say he’s no good because Alabama had all those stars but it was Tua making all those throws. And where were all those amazing Bama receivers tearing up the NFL last year with Jeudy and Ruggs? How come Lock and Carr weren’t vying for NFL MVP? I’m not saying it was all Tua, but it also wasn’t all his players. People used to say great QBs have the ability to elevate those around them. People also forget that he played in the SEC which is an NFL factory but have no problem praising the future star Zach Wilson out of BYU. Not all of my comments are directed at the OP, just a general Tua rant as so many to want to pass final judgment on Tua based on a fragment of a rookie season in a pandemic. The jury is still out. 

It's not fair, and I agree with you, but I don't think Miami is gonna be thinking that way given how Justin Herbert performed and all of these young QBs having MVP level seasons short into their careers. The development timetable for young QBs is accelerated in today's game unfortunately and the tape doesn't lie. Tua has to get a lot better. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Some of the better tight ends in recent memory got drafted after the 2nd round. George Kittle, Darren Waller, Mark Andrews, Travis Kelce, and Gronk was a 2nd rounder. I hope I'm wrong but Pitts *feels* like another in a long line of "generational" TE prospects who didn't do that much in the league. Who was the last 1st round TE who became a star? Was it Tony Gonzalez? Help me out here folks. 

53 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

It's not fair, and I agree with you, but I don't think Miami is gonna be thinking that way given how Justin Herbert performed and all of these young QBs having MVP level seasons short into their careers. The development timetable for young QBs is accelerated in today's game unfortunately and the tape doesn't lie. Tua has to get a lot better. 

Tua went almost his entire run without throwing an INT under pressure and aggressively threw into tight windows.  I don’t think you can look at his accuracy statistics in that COVID year while recovering from injury, with a limited playbook and a conservative offensive scheme, and make any long-term conclusions regarding his performance.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, BMcP said:

Flores is still in the process of figuring out who his offensive players are - he still doesn’t know and neither do we.  It’s not necessarily about being “cutting-edge” either - unless you are citing guys like Spags and Bowles as recent arrivistes who are just now beginning to change the way the NFL approaches defense.

i don’t know what arrivistes means but I’m happy to elaborate on my point to help you further understand my perspective. 

the coaches i mentioned and the 2 you pointed out, Spags and Bowles both had track records of success in their coordinator positions so much so that they both got head coaching opportunities because of it. Those opportunities didn’t work out so they went back to what got them noticed in the first place and that was being a game changing type of OC or DC. 

miami does not have that. Flores has not made a good OC coordinator yet, quite the contrary, he has flopped pretty badly at it. Flores is a dominant DC to be sure but he has yet to find someone equally as ingenuitivie and creative enough to match his defensive mind on offense and that’s not really up for debate. 

will George Godsey and Eric Studesville be the answer for Flores after trying out The dinosaur known as Chan Gailey and the Chad O’Shea experiments? Color me skeptical.

Now, if Flores had gone out and hired Bill O’Brien as his OC it might be a different story but a more well rounded coach made that hire first, which was a shrewd move.

Flores is working an his 3rd season as coach, if he doesn’t know who his offensive players are then who would? Maybe he doesn’t know because he isn’t good at offense and his offensive assistants are average? Or does he have some offensive coaches on staff right now who have enjoyed a lot of previous NFL success?