NBC Sports Edge Forums

Willians Astudillo 2021 Outlook

Looks like he's making the team (Kiriloff was optioned to the minors on March 23rd).

Fantasy baseball is supposed to be fun, and plucking this guy off the waiver wire last night brought a smile to my face.  What's not to love?

--Catcher eligible

--True 80 (or near 80) hit tool ... he strikes out something like 2-3% of the time, which is simply preposterous.  

--Catcher eligible

--Infectiously fun to watch play as his physique defies everything we know about how Major League ballplayers are supposed to look (though he definitely looks thinner this Spring Training)

--Catcher eligible

--Is tearing it up in Spring Training this year

--Catcher eligible.

Is this going to work out for my fantasy team?  Probably not, but I'm along for the ride ... obviously counting on Astudillo to start more than a few times a week, even in a near-best-case scenario, would be foolhardy.    If he stays hot and everything breaks exactly right, and I mean exactly, he'll give you 200-300 at-bats of .300+ batting average and ... oh, who am I kidding.  I'm in it for memes.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rabaak said:

I think I read he has played every fielding position except SS at least once.

Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Administrators:  "Eh, he got close enough, give him SS eligibility, anyway!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
44 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Looks like he's making the team (Kiriloff was optioned to the minors on March 23rd).

Fantasy baseball is supposed to be fun, and plucking this guy off the waiver wire last night brought a smile to my face.  What's not to love?

--Catcher eligible

--True 80 (or near 80) hit tool ... he strikes out something like 2-3% of the time, which is simply preposterous.  

--Catcher eligible

--Infectiously fun to watch play as his physique defies everything we know about how Major League ballplayers are supposed to look (though he definitely looks thinner this Spring Training)

--Catcher eligible

--Is tearing it up in Spring Training this year

--Catcher eligible.

Is this going to work out for my fantasy team?  Probably not, but I'm along for the ride ... obviously counting on Astudillo to start more than a few times a week, even in a near-best-case scenario, would be foolhardy.    If he stays hot and everything breaks exactly right, and I mean exactly, he'll give you 200-300 at-bats of .300+ batting average and ... oh, who am I kidding.  I'm in it for memes.  

Thinking about taking a flier on him. Better than other options at C and won't be worn out by catching. I wish there was more clarity about how much he is gonna play.

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Thinking about taking a flier on him. Better than other options at C and won't be worn out by catching. I wish there was more clarity about how much he is gonna play.

How can you not root for this guy:

5b9a9056aac29b8b95000001.png

**for him to even get 250+ at-bats he's going to have hit .300+ and maintain the power-spike we're seeing in ST.

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Overlord said:

**for him to even get 250+ at-bats he's going to have hit .300+ and maintain the power-spike we're seeing in ST.

lol. I think he also is known for not striking out at all. I'm definitely rooting for him.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Overlord said:

chubby girl run Blank Template - Imgflip

Wish I still had photoshop. Feels lazy but it's all I could think of when I saw Willians pic.

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
15 hours ago, Overlord said:

I thought this: 

download.jpeg-2.jpg

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

1 inning pitched.  7 pitches.  0 hits 

lookout now, but he's gonna be rated one of the best RP's on yahoo! tomorrow morning.

6 hours ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

1 inning pitched.  7 pitches.  0 hits 

Top 5 RP ROS. He has mastered position eligibility. 

Is there video of that performance? I gotta see it!

I enjoyed watching him when the Sox played the Twins this past week.  He has this thing that when he chases a pop-up he grabs his cap off and holds it in his throwing hand careful not to let it fall to the ground.  Which it wouldn't if he didn't take it off I guess so why he does it I know not.  But it seems to be a quirky "thing" with him. 

Also one of the games he was playing 1B and Xander got on and Astudillo was trying to pick his pockets and steal his cap, lol.  He is really fun to watch.  He likes to have fun while playing and obviously does.  (Hey Kris Bryant, take notes).  We need more colorful and entertaining characters like him in baseball.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Astudillo is great! His face and the lackadaisical way he pitched to the Angels last night was hilarious! He just tossed 46 mph HIGH curves to them, and they didn't know what to do. I think he threw 1 fastball? I don't have any shares of him, but like y'all have said, he's a fun player to watch PLAY.

New user here, and this is my first post. I've been lurking for years but this forum is too fun to not actively join in the conversations. I used to fear my leaguemates might discover this place or worse, ME, if I posted here, but I'm hiding no more!!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I enjoyed watching him when the Sox played the Twins this past week.  He has this thing that when he chases a pop-up he grabs his cap off and holds it in his throwing hand careful not to let it fall to the ground.  Which it wouldn't if he didn't take it off I guess so why he does it I know not.  But it seems to be a quirky "thing" with him. 

Also one of the games he was playing 1B and Xander got on and Astudillo was trying to pick his pockets and steal his cap, lol.  He is really fun to watch.  He likes to have fun while playing and obviously does.  (Hey Kris Bryant, take notes).  We need more colorful and entertaining characters like him in baseball.

On a roll and starting frequently is it a trend?

57 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

No, Twins sent Ryan Jeffers down recently. They did call up another catcher, but I don't expect him to stick.  So that leaves Astudillo as likey the backup catcher.  Starting 2-3 games a week.

1 hour ago, rotoguy74 said:

I think it was due more to players missing time. With most of the players back, I feel he is an elite utility option. Right now with Sano out Kirilloff can play first with Arreaz moving to LF. There just doesn't seem to be a place for regular AB. When Sano gets back it will get even murkier if Kirriloff continues putting up good PA though he would seem to become the odd man out.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 8:56 AM, Low and Away said:

I think it was due more to players missing time. With most of the players back, I feel he is an elite utility option. Right now with Sano out Kirilloff can play first with Arreaz moving to LF. There just doesn't seem to be a place for regular AB. When Sano gets back it will get even murkier if Kirriloff continues putting up good PA though he would seem to become the odd man out.

Another week at least of starts?