Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Clayton Kershaw 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

His velo below 90...... all those curveballs finally caught up to him it looks like, I mean hey everyone falls off sooner or later , look at wainwright and Bumgarner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He threw four pitches above ninety all night.  His first pitch was 91 and change, so was one about 40 pitches in, then for his 87th and 88th pitches he reared back and ran it up there at 92.0 and 91.2.

Maybe it was cold, but I'm thinking Kershaw would be far more effective if he could consistently work his fastball in the 91-93 range as opposed to the 88-90 range. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Why? You always bench your SPs at Coors. I have him and did. It's Coors.

Maybe in roto. In H2H the risk is worth it for a guy who was most people's first SP drafted (his Coors ERA is ~4.50 compared to a his career 3.03ish ERA... that's probably not going to kill you in H2H). Burned us today but his defense did him no favors, ran up his pinch count and he got eaten alive by singles. 

Now, for your mid-tier to back end SPs? Yeah, bench @Coors even in H2H.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

He threw four pitches above ninety all night.  His first pitch was 91 and change, so was one about 40 pitches in, then for his 87th and 88th pitches he reared back and ran it up there at 92.0 and 91.2.

Maybe it was cold, but I'm thinking Kershaw would be far more effective if he could consistently work his fastball in the 91-93 range as opposed to the 88-90 range. 

 

That's a good point. On a similar note, I've always felt those 32ish yr old wide receivers in the NFL would be much better off if they just consistently ran 4.4 instead of 4.6 40yd times

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

1 bad start in the worst hitters park and he’s already written off for dead?

Side note - the lack of strikeouts is alarming.

Coors Field is the worst hitters park in the league?...is this like Kela being named the closer the other day? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, CFN said:

Maybe in roto. In H2H the risk is worth it for a guy who was most people's first SP drafted (his Coors ERA is ~4.50 compared to a his career 3.03ish ERA... that's probably not going to kill you in H2H). Burned us today but his defense did him no favors, ran up his pinch count and he got eaten alive by singles. 

Now, for your mid-tier to back end SPs? Yeah, bench @Coors even in H2H.

Yeah no thanks, I got one roto and one H2H league and I jump for joy when my matchup runs his guys out there at Coors... What do you expect to get out of it? Small chance at a QS? Getting blown up on a small sample weekly matchup is just as damaging if not more.

Regardless, anyone passing judgement based on 1 start at Coors needs to pull back and calm down from opening day excellent. Sending anyone out at Coors is a risk.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kershaw is certainly past peak and there are warning signs there for him not being elite anymore, but it was a game at coors. 10 hits against him, only 2 XBH, none were home runs. He really got BABIPed to death more than anything.  It's frustrating when your pitcher is allowing a bunch of dribblers between the fielders, but also important to realize those will often be outs and aren't indicative of poor pitching.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Kershaw is certainly past peak and there are warning signs there for him not being elite anymore, but it was a game at coors. 10 hits against him, only 2 XBH, none were home runs. He really got BABIPed to death more than anything.  It's frustrating when your pitcher is allowing a bunch of dribblers between the fielders, but also important to realize those will often be outs and aren't indicative of poor pitching.

They weren't dribblers but neither were they rockets. He couldn't put anyone away but it can be blamed on Coors I agree.

Next game at home he'll probably roll along just like clockwork again. Would like to see slightly improved velo above 90mph though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 5:10 PM, Brye said:

His velo below 90...... all those curveballs finally caught up to him it looks like, I mean hey everyone falls off sooner or later , look at wainwright and Bumgarner 

You were saying?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Anyone concerned about the dip in velocity across the board on all pitches in his last outing?

Nope, he was only down a tick on his fastball and it can be solely attributed to the weather conditions in Chicago. Super cold, overcast... definitely looked like he had trouble gripping the baseball. Chalk it up as a bad outing. Kershaw is still a top 5-10 starter ROS

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Dodgeritis maybe?  Limiting his innings with the All Star break coming up so he's fresh for the playoffs?

That's what they kindof alluded to on the fantrax blurb (and whoever writes that burb, maybe rw).  I pray, but I feel like it would have been  a less scary reason?  Also seems like a weird time with all these weird starts they've had to do lately with Bauer being gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...