NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yabba Da Baddoo!!!!!

He was a fairly highly-touted prospect at one point, but struggled at High-A in 2019 and then had Tommy John. Good power and speed but he strikes out too much. I wouldn't hold your breath on play

I mean this is beyond ridiculous. That lineup is trash and those guys like castro have done nothing to deserve a lineup spot, nothing. I mean they didn't even give this kid a real jersey number either, #60... He's going to leave so fast in free agency. This is pathetic.

Edited by StevieStats
55 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I mean this is beyond ridiculous. That lineup is trash and those guys like castro have done nothing to deserve a lineup spot, nothing. I mean they didn't even give this kid a real jersey number either, #60... He's going to leave so fast in free agency. This is pathetic.

He is a rule 5 pick this year. In 6 years he can leave as a FA, if the CBA doesn't change. Another words for this year he is going nowhere. If the Tigers want to send him to the minors the Twins have the option of claiming him first.

3 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

He is a rule 5 pick this year. In 6 years he can leave as a FA, if the CBA doesn't change. Another words for this year he is going nowhere. If the Tigers want to send him to the minors the Twins have the option of claiming him first.

Right, when I say leave so fast I don't mean next year I mean the minute he gets the opportunity he's gone. They are burying the kid and can't even give him the respect of a real jersey number.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:48 PM, StevieStats said:

Castro had a .931 OPS in 140 PA last season. Small sample fluke, perhaps, but it's still a much larger sample than we've seen from Baddoo.

He's been a fun story but it's silly to act like Baddoo is some sort of superstar who has to be in the lineup every day. He's striking out 40% of the time. He struggled in High-A in 2019 and didn't play at all in 2020. Minnesota left him unprotected in Rule 5. If Detroit hadn't picked him and given him an opportunity, he'd be  at the Twins' alternate site waiting for the AA season to start (yet apparently he should hate the Tigers for holding him back).

• Like 2

I like how everyone went from unknown to "he's going to be a stud and leave the tigers after 6 years" to "He's an AA player who doesn't deserve to be in the Majors" within about 3 days each.  I'm going to take another couple weeks to fully evaluate him, imo he's always going to have strikeout issues and a low AVG but his calling cards here are power and SB.  I'm interested to see if he's able to adjust to the adjusters- it will determine whether he becomes Aquino, or whether he becomes Story

• Like 1

His PT isn’t safe.  Hinch was probably a little bemused by Baddoo’s uncalled bunt attempt with 1 out and runner on 2nd late in a tie game (what was he thinking?).  There’s no lightning in this bottle, imo. 

5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Castro had a .931 OPS in 140 PA last season. Small sample fluke, perhaps, but it's still a much larger sample than we've seen from Baddoo.

He's been a fun story but it's silly to act like Baddoo is some sort of superstar who has to be in the lineup every day. He's striking out 40% of the time. He struggled in High-A in 2019 and didn't play at all in 2020. Minnesota left him unprotected in Rule 5. If Detroit hadn't picked him and given him an opportunity, he'd be  at the Twins' alternate site waiting for the AA season to start (yet apparently he should hate the Tigers for holding him back).

I'm not acting like he's a superstar that's a bit of a reach lol, but he's clearly been swinging a better bat from the start of spring than virtually everyone on that squad, and that lineup is horrible. No one on that squad has enough of a resume for you to say they can't be moved in the lineup...

So because he was Rule 5 it's suddenly acceptable to bury him and not let his play do the speaking and he's just lucky to be there? Come on... 

Reward players for good play and put your team in the best position to win.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Looks like the party is over.

I feel like with consistent playing time he could adjust. Now if he gets that time, I don't know.

• Like 1

Most likely will end up dropping eventually but I'm gonna give him a week or so on the bench if I can.  Power/Speed combo is legit but not shocking he has had an adjustment phase with all the levels he has skipped. Pessimistic but fingers crossed.

He hadn't played much against lefties to begin with. I think he got one start last week after Mazara got injured and was a windmill.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Most likely will end up dropping eventually but I'm gonna give him a week or so on the bench if I can.  Power/Speed combo is legit but not shocking he has had an adjustment phase with all the levels he has skipped. Pessimistic but fingers crossed.

yea he'll be in the minors this time next month

29 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

yea he'll be in the minors this time next month

He’ll be on the Tigers all year. They aren’t allowed to send him to the minors as a rule 5 pick, otherwise he goes back to the Twins.

How much he actually plays will depend on performance but he’s shown too much upside not to keep.

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Y’all are ready to drop this man after a bad few games.  Yes he’s not going to play much against lefties but let’s give him a chance to adjust for the first time 

Agreed. This was always going to happen once teams figured out his weak spots.

It's time to bench and see if he can adjust. He's shown enough upside to stick with for now.