Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread


Recommended Posts

*mods please delete if this against the rules thank you. 

I thought a collective thread on (presumably)undrafted or available  catchers in 1 amd 2 cagcher leagues, would be more conducive than searching through limited threads on guys without much information.  Looking for things for community input on things like playing time, other starter injuries etc..  sort of like the closers and middle relievers threads.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep an eye on Yan Gomes. Some interesting stuff going on with his profile. 1. Underperforming his xwoba (-.60 pts), xSLG (by -.200 pts)  xBA (-0.75 pts) 2. Has close to DOUBLE the barr

William Contreras is going to have mash for the next two months to even be a starter, but I suppose if he had a full year the upside might be .245-255ish, 15-18 homers, and significantly better than a

Jorge Alfaro is my deep league catcher steal. In 2019 had 18 HR and even threw in 4 SB. He had a down year in 2020 while dealing with contracting COVID-19. I'm mainly in because of the occasional SBs

Elias Diaz looks like a full time starter in Colorado with only Dom Nunez as a backup.  If he's getting close to 400 ABs he's likely pretty usable.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jorge Alfaro is my deep league catcher steal. In 2019 had 18 HR and even threw in 4 SB. He had a down year in 2020 while dealing with contracting COVID-19. I'm mainly in because of the occasional SBs and playing time. His sprint speed is 79th percentile, and he does have a SB in Spring. I think he can throw in 5 SB. Playing time, the only backup is Chad Wallach. Pitchers also like throwing to Alfaro. I'd expect him to play 130 games this year. I'm expecting 15 HR and 5 SB this year with solid R and RBI based on playing time. Great C2 option.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Omar Narvaez.

He was real solid in 2019, had 22hrs and .353 obp. Down year last year playing for new team, but could easily bounce back in 2nd year and normal season. Hits in an easy park, and not much competition behind him.

Could realistically hit 20+ hrs and .350+ obp

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gregp said:

Omar Narvaez.

He was real solid in 2019, had 22hrs and .353 obp. Down year last year playing for new team, but could easily bounce back in 2nd year and normal season. Hits in an easy park, and not much competition behind him.

Could realistically hit 20+ hrs and .350+ obp

Like that one.  Better lineup,  better ballpark, still in prime.  His statcast shows him as pretty much the worst hitter in the league (mind you a lot of catchers are like that.)  Anyone have any idea if he projects to get the bulk of the starts or a more even split?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wilson Ramos looking to be the regular catcher in Detroit.  Has 4 HR in st.  Got paid. Very sadly, might be one of tje best bats in the Tigers lineup.   I started a seperate thread on him.  Anyone that watched him last year swore he was done and it looked like he'd retire.  I'm still intrigued. He's one year removed from being one of the best catchers and is the same age as D"arneaud 🤫.  If miggy gets hurts,  he might even be the regular dh.  As the bottom guy in tje $0 bin, what's to lose?

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Wilson Ramos looking to be the regular catcher in Detroit.  Has 4 HR in st.  Got paid. Very sadly, might be one of tje best bats in the Tigers lineup.   I started a seperate thread on him.  Anyone that watched him last year swore he was done and it looked like he'd retire.  I'm still intrigued. He's one year removed from being one of the best catchers and is the same age as D"arneaud 🤫.  If miggy gets hurts,  he might even be the regular dh.  As the bottom guy in tje $0 bin, what's to lose?

Second this Ramos bulletin.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolled the dice on Jeffers-- Twins... youth, talent, pop, seems to have the ability to leap Garver, plays better defense Im hearing and hits better too...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a healthy Posey provides a good floor on avg/obp. Kapler said he is looking at 100-120 games estimate for Posey. Power is the question. Really cheap and a Posey resurgence isn’t a stretch. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Like that one.  Better lineup,  better ballpark, still in prime.  His statcast shows him as pretty much the worst hitter in the league (mind you a lot of catchers are like that.)  Anyone have any idea if he projects to get the bulk of the starts or a more even split?

Pina will start day games and against all LHP, I predict. Luckily for Narvaez owners, the NL Central has very few LH starters.

I'd guess something like 100-110 starts for Narvaez, assuming he stays healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

I think a healthy Posey provides a good floor on avg/obp. Kapler said he is looking at 100-120 games estimate for Posey. Power is the question. Really cheap and a Posey resurgence isn’t a stretch. 

I’ve punted on catcher in every league so far this year and Posey is usually who I’m grabbing for $1 (I only do auction/salary cap drafts) at the end. He’s as safe a bet as any catcher to hit .275+ and that’s basically all I need him to do. Any counting stats are just cherries on top. If you’re drafting/bidding heavily on offense and punting on catcher, you just need a guy who is a lock to play 100+ games and whose AVG won’t kill you. Posey is pretty much the ideal candidate for that. Plus, he won’t be batting at the bottom of the lineup like most other $1/last round catchers will.

I do like Wilson Ramos too, but still favor Posey.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like Kyle Higashioka; Sanchez is unlikely to stay healthy for the whole season.  Also a chance the Yankees get sick of his defense behind the plate and turn to Higashioka.  Probably not someone worth drafting (outside of AL only) but keep an eye on for a waiver claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to mention Higashioka when I saw this thread but had one too many beers last night and passed out.

His HR Rate over the past 2 seasons, though in a SSS has been amazing, he’s been almost as impressive as Sanchez himself.  I’m also pretty sure I read something about him being Coles personal Catcher ensuring at least some regular plying time.

a good dart throw is Max Stassi if you need a regular. About 90 percent sure his amazing stats last year were a fluke but in a deep 2 catcher league you are at least dart throwing at a guy who showed quality numbers. Unfortunately the Angels team is loaded with DH candidates, Ohtani, Pujols. So there’s no extra playing time there.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another dart throw for me...Zack Collins in Chicago.  If they are serious about playing Vaughan in LF; that opens up some DH time for Collins. As well as giving Grandal more time off at DH and putting Collins behind the plate.  They have Jonathon Lucroy as a backup, but he's looked done the last few years.  Collins only qualifies at DH currently, but should get some starts at catcher soon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tucker26 said:

I think a healthy Posey provides a good floor on avg/obp. Kapler said he is looking at 100-120 games estimate for Posey. Power is the question. Really cheap and a Posey resurgence isn’t a stretch. 

I don’t know man. I think Posey is just cooked. He’s gonna give you a passably ok average and almost nothing else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Alejandro Kirk count or are you looking deeper than that?  Guys can rake. Wasn’t drafted in my 14 teamer last night. I’ll be monitoring his playing time in the first couple weeks

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I don’t know man. I think Posey is just cooked. He’s gonna give you a passably ok average and almost nothing else.

 My big concern with posey is the fact that Kapler said he won’t play first ever, and the presence of Bart.  Too many risks for not nearly enough reward.  

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Does Alejandro Kirk count or are you looking deeper than that?  Guys can rake. Wasn’t drafted in my 14 teamer last night. I’ll be monitoring his playing time in the first couple weeks

I’d guess anyone other than the top 6 or 7 ranked guys are on some waiver wires and not others.  Toronto unfortunately looks like an even split, with Jansen likely starting out as the guy looking to get a majority of starts.  Not a huge deal, but I can see Kirk being taken for pinch runners quite often, slightly lowering his run total.  I can also see him being taken out possibly for a defensive replacement possibly (although that’s not super common).  Unlike posey though, I think the reward is big here and if Jansen ever gets hurt he could be a top 5 C....but I’d rather have consistency at first to accumulate some counting stats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Willians Astudillo qualifies at catcher..another one to look for.  Not sure how much he will play, but when he plays he will hit.  The Twins could end up using him 2-3 times a week in the OF/3B/C.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

If Willians Astudillo qualifies at catcher..another one to look for.  Not sure how much he will play, but when he plays he will hit.  The Twins could end up using him 2-3 times a week in the OF/3B/C.

I'm avoiding the twins.  The fact that 2 of them are mentioned on this thread and so many industry guys love Garver says it all.  If Jeffers or Garver gets hurt though...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, Cesare13 said:

*mods please delete if this against the rules thank you. 

I thought a collective thread on (presumably)undrafted or available  catchers in 1 amd 2 cagcher leagues, would be more conducive than searching through limited threads on guys without much information.  Looking for things for community input on things like playing time, other starter injuries etc..  sort of like the closers and middle relievers threads.

Great thread idea!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

I'm avoiding the twins.  The fact that 2 of them are mentioned on this thread and so many industry guys love Garver says it all.  If Jeffers or Garver gets hurt though...

Guess I'd rather have a Garver or Jeffers for 80 games each. If it's an when split. Then someone like Alfaro/ Zunino who could hurt your batting average.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Does Alejandro Kirk count or are you looking deeper than that?  Guys can rake. Wasn’t drafted in my 14 teamer last night. I’ll be monitoring his playing time in the first couple weeks

And officially made the opening day roster. I could see him eventually taking over cause he can flat out hit. I took a dive and picked him up in one catcher league and not looking back. Jansen might be getting 60/40 of the starts now, but I betting Kirk will surpass him as the season rolls along.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

im running with Jorge Alfaro and Kurt Suzuki in a two catcher league.  Alfaro for the reasons stated a few posts above.  Kurt, becuase he is back in Cali, where he went to college and won the 2004 college world series and is the #1  catcher in Angels.

dude is a solid bet for .270 38r 15hr 50rbis  just look at his last 4 years (2017-2020)

Also he gets to play close to his family, here is what kurt said in an interview after signing with Angels:

“I was right down the street watching Angels games throughout my college career. When the Angels won the World Series, I thought that was the coolest thing ever,” Suzuki said during a Zoom call on Thursday. “I’ve always had that thought of coming back to Orange County to play for the Angels and hopefully bring another championship back to Anaheim. At this point in my career, what’s more fitting than to join the Angels and win a championship?”

The veteran backstop was so intent on joining the Angels this offseason that he left offers on the table for more money and playing time, settling on a one-year, $1.5 million deal with Los Angeles last week. Location was an obvious factor in Suzuki’s decision, as he’ll now get the chance to live with his wife and three children on a full-time basis at their home in Redondo Beach."

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a lot of possibilities for a breakout at the bottom heaps. I drafted varsho and kirk, but watching collins, posey, diaz, jeffers, astudillo, higashioka, and bart call up. Who's your money on for the 1 out of those catchers that will break out (top 10 catcher)?

Edited by pbjfb
_
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...