Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

There seems to be a lot of possibilities for a breakout at the bottom heaps. I drafted varsho and kirk, but watching collins, posey, diaz, jeffers, astudillo, higashioka, and bart call up. Who's your money on for the 1 out of those catchers that will break out (top 10 catcher)?

I'll put my money on Zack Collins. Lucroy didn't make the team, should give Collins at bats behind the plate.  They signed Jake Lamb today, but when's the last time Lamb had any value. Zack Collins top 10 catcher, bank on it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep an eye on Yan Gomes. Some interesting stuff going on with his profile. 1. Underperforming his xwoba (-.60 pts), xSLG (by -.200 pts)  xBA (-0.75 pts) 2. Has close to DOUBLE the barr

I never get any credit around here 😉 but glad to see this past week has been good for both and a few other managers have taken notice of Gomes and Stallings, who hit his 2nd HR last night in a losing

Elias Diaz looks like a full time starter in Colorado with only Dom Nunez as a backup.  If he's getting close to 400 ABs he's likely pretty usable.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

I'll put my money on Zack Collins. Lucroy didn't make the team, should give Collins at bats behind the plate.  They signed Jake Lamb today, but when's the last time Lamb had any value. Zack Collins top 10 catcher, bank on it.

It would be nice since I just picked him up but he has competition to even being the main back-up catcher right now:

Quote

Héctor Gómez of Deportivo Z 101 reports that catcher Yermín Mercedes has made the White Sox Opening Day roster.

Jonathan Lucroy was given his release Monday, so this suggests that Mercedes and Zack Collins will make the Opening Day roster as backups for Yasmani Grandal. Mercedes, 28, batted .283/.340/.348 with three doubles in 50 plate appearances during Cactus League play.

Source: Héctor Gómez on Twitter                Mar 29, 2021, 2:02 PM ET

Eloy being out allows Zack Collins his chance as a DH so he better run with it as catching is a crowded position on this team and Grandal won't just go away either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pbjfb said:

There seems to be a lot of possibilities for a breakout at the bottom heaps. I drafted varsho and kirk, but watching collins, posey, diaz, jeffers, astudillo, higashioka, and bart call up. Who's your money on for the 1 out of those catchers that will break out (top 10 catcher)?

Out of those listed.  My money is on Diaz.  Probably a bit old for a next level breakout.  But I wonder why CJ Cron is getting a ton of helium when Diaz has a similar type situation with even less competition.   He's being completely overlooked.  

from a true breakout perspective, my guy is Alfaro.  He was once THE catching prospect not so long ago and is in an improved lineup with seemingly a lot of plate appearances to come.  Also entering his age 27 season (remember the age 27 thing?)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brent Rooker sent down by the Twins today. Clearing another avenue for Astudillo to get at bats.  I'm guessing the Twins look a lot like the Rays this year, mixing and matching guys.  1 game a week at 3B to try to keep Donaldson healthy, 1 at first to keep Sano from leading the league in strikeouts, 1 behind the plate, and maybe another game in LF?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Brent Rooker sent down by the Twins today. Clearing another avenue for Astudillo to get at bats.  I'm guessing the Twins look a lot like the Rays this year, mixing and matching guys.  1 game a week at 3B to try to keep Donaldson healthy, 1 at first to keep Sano from leading the league in strikeouts, 1 behind the plate, and maybe another game in LF?

I could see him shuffling about, but I doubt he gets to catch at all. Already have Garver and Jeffers

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 2:44 AM, gregp said:

Omar Narvaez.

He was real solid in 2019, had 22hrs and .353 obp. Down year last year playing for new team, but could easily bounce back in 2nd year and normal season. Hits in an easy park, and not much competition behind him.

Could realistically hit 20+ hrs and .350+ obp

I took this guy in the last, or next to last round in a 2 catcher league.  In 2017, 18, and 19 he hit over .275 each season with a combined OPS above .750.   Last year would seemingly be the aberration.  Milwaukee is a nice hitters part and they have a solid lineup.    If he hits like he did prior to last year, he'll be a very profitable draft pick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find myself with Molina often.  He'll probably bat 5-6 in the order and won't kill your average, which is good for a catcher.  I think his adp sunk early because of the retirement rumors and it never really got back up.  It's puzzling why he's been taken after part timers and catchers who don't even have a MLB job.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I'll put my money on Zack Collins. Lucroy didn't make the team, should give Collins at bats behind the plate.  They signed Jake Lamb today, but when's the last time Lamb had any value. Zack Collins top 10 catcher, bank on it.

problem with Collins is he's a UT in most formats.  He may be a catcher in Yahoo where if you caught in middle school one day you're eligible there.  

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I find myself with Molina often.  He'll probably bat 5-6 in the order and won't kill your average, which is good for a catcher.  I think his adp sunk early because of the retirement rumors and it never really got back up.  It's puzzling why he's been taken after part timers and catchers who don't even have a MLB job.

At his age, do you.reckon he himself will be a part timer?  Like a 50/50 type? Or does he still look like 1A on rje team?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

At his age, do you.reckon he himself will be a part timer?  Like a 50/50 type? Or does he still look like 1A on rje team?

probably 2/3.  110-115 games?   I dont think they brought him back to platoon with Knizner  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

problem with Collins is he's a UT in most formats.  He may be a catcher in Yahoo where if you caught in middle school one day you're eligible there.  

I have owned shares of three "catchers" this year: Daulton Varsho, Willians Astudillo, and Zack Collins.

Basically, my standards are extremely low, but I do insist that anyone who wants to play catcher for my fantasy squad not actually engage in real life catching duties.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I have owned shares of three "catchers" this year: Daulton Varsho, Willians Astudillo, and Zack Collins.

Basically, my standards are extremely low, but I do insist that anyone who wants to play catcher for my fantasy squad not actually engage in real life catching duties.  

White Sox kept that other guy too.  Yermin something.  It may take a few months before Collins becomes C eligible if he isn’t already 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

White Sox kept that other guy too.  Yermin something.  It may take a few months before Collins becomes C eligible if he isn’t already 

*LAUGHS IN YAHOO*

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

*Runs in gasping out of breath to this thread*

I have been targeting Alfaro and Posey. I hate Alfaro's swing and miss, but I hate Posey's power sap. Its a lose/lose. I am going to run with Alfaro though. It think that he can still do a 17hr and 65/65 if the cards fall right. Posey is my safety play.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, drunkb said:

*Runs in gasping out of breath to this thread*

I have been targeting Alfaro and Posey. I hate Alfaro's swing and miss, but I hate Posey's power sap. Its a lose/lose. I am going to run with Alfaro though. It think that he can still do a 17hr and 65/65 if the cards fall right. Posey is my safety play.

Jorge Alfaro is the all-time BABIP leader among players with at least 1000 MLB at-bats.

Let that sink in for a moment and realize just how horrible the situation might get if he begins to regress to the mean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Jorge Alfaro is the all-time BABIP leader among players with at least 1000 MLB at-bats.

Let that sink in for a moment and realize just how horrible the situation might get if he begins to regress to the mean.

Tanks for nuttin'!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, drunkb said:

*Runs in gasping out of breath to this thread*

I have been targeting Alfaro and Posey. I hate Alfaro's swing and miss, but I hate Posey's power sap. Its a lose/lose. I am going to run with Alfaro though. It think that he can still do a 17hr and 65/65 if the cards fall right. Posey is my safety play.

Since catchers get so few ABS, they don't have the ability to "Kill" you in average.   350 ABs compared to 600 does damage it, but it OS mitigated. Also, a "big difference" between catchers is like 20 points whereas its like 50 to 60 for other hitters.  Pretty much everyone in your league is likely getting a BA minus from their c.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Jorge Alfaro is the all-time BABIP leader among players with at least 1000 MLB at-bats.

Let that sink in for a moment and realize just how horrible the situation might get if he begins to regress to the mean.

That's true??  Wow...wojld not have guessed that.  You would not expect that from a catcher.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Since catchers get so few ABS, they don't have the ability to "Kill" you in average.   

My experience with Gary Sanchez last season begs to differ!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeffers is a little bit of a sleeper.   Should be average but goes late in drafts.

Cisco too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

It would be nice since I just picked him up but he has competition to even being the main back-up catcher right now:

Eloy being out allows Zack Collins his chance as a DH so he better run with it as catching is a crowded position on this team and Grandal won't just go away either.

Andrew Vaughn made the White Sox roster, I doubt (Although you never know) hes made the roster to sit on the bench.  Larussa seems to like Leury Garcia in LF so that leaves DH between Collins and Vaughn. Not a great situation for Collins there it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mejia (TB) looks pretty interesting and he oozes prospect pedigree.  I usually stay away from Rays. Any idea why zunino would get time over him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...