NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread

25 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I guess Nola’s not ready yet?

Austin Nola (finger) is now targeting a weekend return to the Padres' active roster.

Advice: There had been some hope that Nola would be ready earlier than that, but he's still getting back in the swing of things after suffering a fractured middle finger on his left hand back in mid-March

• Like 1
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep an eye on Yan Gomes. Some interesting stuff going on with his profile. 1. Underperforming his xwoba (-.60 pts), xSLG (by -.200 pts)  xBA (-0.75 pts) 2. Has close to DOUBLE the barr

I never get any credit around here 😉 but glad to see this past week has been good for both and a few other managers have taken notice of Gomes and Stallings, who hit his 2nd HR last night in a losing

Elias Diaz looks like a full time starter in Colorado with only Dom Nunez as a backup.  If he's getting close to 400 ABs he's likely pretty usable.

Posted Images

I'm looking at Martin Maldonado's 5/55 start and kind of wondering...is there a chance he hits like sub .150 this year? The Astros even re-signed him for next season, so they clearly don't care about his offense. I thought his modest showing last year was an incredible fluke, and I really could see him having a BA well below Mendoza and a slugging maybe around .300. He belongs in the "punt the category rather than let him hurt you" heap. 

I'm happy Jacob Stallings hit his 1st HR at last, and I think if he can manage 10-12 bombs this year he can be a valuable 2nd catcher with above average counting stats and BA for the position. I think he's basically what we expected Buster Posey to be, except Buster decided to remind everyone he's still got some life left in that bat. 

Daulton Varsho was recalled April 28th and Kalhoun had surgery today, out for the foreseeable future. Granted, Varsho hasn't started the 3 days since being recalled, but if he starts off hot and plays outfield he could be top 5 catcher easy, taking into account the unicorn-like SBs he brings to the catcher position. Could be league winner. Or could be back to the minors and scrap heap. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Tumultuous 48 hours for the Braves and Brewers at catcher, as each team lost its primary & backup catchers. The news for D'Arnaud was the worst, as his torn thumb ligament requires surgery, leaving his return this season completely in doubt. For now the Braves have promoted William Contreras, brother of Willson, and he figures to get a decent look. At 23 he's certainly worth a look for needy owners, but also of note was the return to Milwaukee of Jacob Nottingham, who had been DFA'd/claimed by the Mariners. The emergency situation led the Brewers to re-acquire him for cash, and he hit  2 HRs in his immediate return to the lineup today. Guess he didn't back his bags for Seattle right away, good move. He also has some sneaky power and could help owners in NL only leagues. The crazy thing about that is that he must be subject in those leagues to waivers again due to the brief league change.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, octapuss said:

your not feelin Higashioka eh?

Im leaning Varsho for the replacment. Catchers took a big hit this past week.

Yeah, it’s league dependent but catchers like higashioka, narvaez, Kelly have graduated from the scrap heap for me because they’ve been long gone in my league but I would definitely have them still above these new 3. The only thing about Varsho, though, I’m not sure he’ll get more than a couple starts a week, so I would still take higashioka over him until varsho starts getting more consistent playing time

Edited by pbjfb

Although he has no upside, Yan Gomes looks to me like a decent ROS option for teams looking to steady the position. He's not being buried in the lineup, and is getting most of the PT over Avila. Most of the projections have him producing around a .250 BA with 10-13 HRs and 40 R/RBI from here on out, and I'd wager he can outperform those numbers slightly. He might not give you the HR production of a Dom Nunez, but also not a risk to crater your BA. His current profile shows his FB% about 10% below career norms, but an increased GB and pull rate also, which should normalize and produce some better ISO/SLG numbers. He's in the "safe but not exciting" category for me alongside guys like Stallings in PIT but behind a guy like Barnhart off to a great start in CIN. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Dom Nunez getting top adds on yahoo? Any new changes in colo?

[...] He's playing more, has flashed some power, and I believe 3 out of his next 4 series are at home in Colorado. Add in that people need a replacement for injuries at the position and you get a spike in adds.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, Overlord said:

I'm giving William Contreras a whirl.  He's been on my radar since this Spring ... my 2022 radar.  

Hopefully he's a fast learner!

I have gone with him as well (after losing Travis dA and then Kirk)...there simply isn't much available in 16+ teamers...but I do like Wilson's younger bro a bit, can hit enough and does not seem like 38 yr old Mathis is gonna take much of his PT.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2021 at 3:07 PM, Overlord said:

I'm giving William Contreras a whirl.  He's been on my radar since this Spring ... my 2022 radar.  

Hopefully he's a fast learner!

Don't know how he looks catching but his bat is definitely doing it's thing.  Wonder if he can stay up over Jackson when Jackson is due to return.  If so he will be a steal.

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Don't know how he looks catching but his bat is definitely doing it's thing.  Wonder if he can stay up over Jackson when Jackson is due to return.  If so he will be a steal.

All I know is if he regularly produces a dong out there on the field, they'll find a way to get him some action. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I think varsho needs 5 more OF injuries and he’ll get the PT. Hashtag#stashtag!

Diamondbacks are getting young player development tips from Bud Black. 

• Like 2

Garver should be grabbed if you're hurting and he's out there. Guy is absolutely crushing baseballs right now. And with a career high LA, there's some solid homer upside waiting to breakout.

• Like 2

I’m torn on a few of these big uglies in a couple leagues.. I have been looking at the FA catchers available in both and it’s looking like:

Varsho - he seems to be getting some hype because solid hit tools and playing OF. He hasn’t got a ton of Abs but he has snuck into the game each time. Calhoun out for 6-8 so I think he should stick, but it’s not like he’s an every day guy.

Garver - I know he was solid in like 2019.. could be 2018 but too lazy to confirm. I think it’s 19.. but anyway nothing special, should be majority C for the Twins and hit 26 homers with a .240 average 

Contreras - Hit a dinger tonight and seems to be the guy while Travis out indefinitely. Upside???

Alfaro - I don’t know why I have always like this dude but I’m guessing he should be the main guy when healthy. I think he could be a 20 homer and .270 hitter at some point. 

Ranking those guys based off pickups.. I think I’d lean Varsho, Contreras, Garver and then Alfaro. But I’d love to hear some others opinion. Catching lighting in a bottle at catcher is always tempting because the position is so gross, if you get a baller there it is a such an advantage. I would hope Varsho or Contreras would randomly be that 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Contreras - Hit a dinger tonight and seems to be the guy while Travis out indefinitely. Upside???

Alfaro - I don’t know why I have always like this dude but I’m guessing he should be the main guy when healthy. I think he could be a 20 homer and .270 hitter at some point. 

William Contreras is going to have mash for the next two months to even be a starter, but I suppose if he had a full year the upside might be .245-255ish, 15-18 homers, and significantly better than average counting stats due to his pretty good OBP track record (particularly for a catcher).  He could also flame out cause he was an emergency call-up.  We'll see. 

Alfaro a .270 hitter?  As I pointed out preseason, coming into this year Alfaro was the all-time leader in BABIP among major leaguers with 1000+ plate appearances.  Not for catchers, not over the past decade, not even for the 21st century.  ALL-TIME.  He's up to his old tricks again this year with a BABIP of .342.  If that number ever normalizes even mildly close to league average he's going to be a sub .200 hitter.  Someone should really take a hard look as to how he's managing to have such ridiculous BABIP numbers cause it's truly remarkable ... and it may be camouflaging his "true" bat-to-ball skill level. 

**BABIP is notorious for being a statistic that takes an incredibly long time to stabilize, something like 800+ balls in play, which is a staggeringly large sample size.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Overlord said:

William Contreras is going to have mash for the next two months to even be a starter, but I suppose if he had a full year the upside might be .245-255ish, 15-18 homers, and significantly better than average counting stats due to his pretty good OBP track record (particularly for a catcher).  He could also flame out cause he was an emergency call-up.  We'll see. 

Alfaro a .270 hitter?  As I pointed out preseason, coming into this year Alfaro was the all-time leader in BABIP among major leaguers with 1000+ plate appearances.  Not for catchers, not over the past decade, not even for the 21st century.  ALL-TIME.  He's up to his old tricks again this year with a BABIP of .342.  If that number ever normalizes even mildly close to league average he's going to be a sub .200 hitter.  Someone should really take a hard look as to how he's managing to have such ridiculous BABIP numbers cause it's truly remarkable ... and it may be camouflaging his "true" bat-to-ball skill level.

From what I read.. it’s possible Travis injury will run into September/season ending. I hope that isn’t the case, but if so, I’d guess the leash and Abs are there for him. I just have nothing to go off besides limited numbers and does kind of look like his brother.. I guess no surprise there. 

Fair enough on Alfaro. I didn’t realize all the BABPIP stuff, I also hadn’t really looked.. I was just speaking in general and obviously .270 is just a bad thrown out number. But I mean I followed him throughout the minors and he’s a career .262 with a ton of Abs all through there. I just always thought he was a pretty solid looking at bat for a catcher when I was watching. 

Im curious now since you hit on Contreras/Alfaro (appreciate that). What about Varsho/Garver? 

Varsho is in playing time hell.  I've been through that with the Rockies and it's just such a ******** headache.

I haven't looked at Garver.  Not a bad idea!