NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread

Its looking like Dom Nunez is the scrap heap winner.

Can Yan Gomez be relevant? He was 5 year ago. Looks like he is smacking some hommers around lately.

Old T. Murphy is keepin it real on the west coast.

Scrap heap!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep an eye on Yan Gomes. Some interesting stuff going on with his profile. 1. Underperforming his xwoba (-.60 pts), xSLG (by -.200 pts)  xBA (-0.75 pts) 2. Has close to DOUBLE the barr

William Contreras is going to have mash for the next two months to even be a starter, but I suppose if he had a full year the upside might be .245-255ish, 15-18 homers, and significantly better than a

Jorge Alfaro is my deep league catcher steal. In 2019 had 18 HR and even threw in 4 SB. He had a down year in 2020 while dealing with contracting COVID-19. I'm mainly in because of the occasional SBs

Posted Images

On 5/7/2021 at 1:08 AM, Overlord said:

Varsho is in playing time hell.  I've been through that with the Rockies and it's just such a ******** headache.

I haven't looked at Garver.  Not a bad idea!

Varsho is up because both Ketel Marte and Kole Calhoun are on the IL.  If another D-Back goes down then Varsho could become a full time player and if he does and he lives up to his prospect hype then all is good. 

Right now old man Peralta, Pavin Smith (Christian Walker is back so Smith is in the outfield now) and the currently red hot Josh Rojas are the main people blocking him.  If Rojas starts at 2nd that is when it seems Varsho gets a game.  Well unless they stick in Locasatro who "won" the last place on the roster to the surprise of many over Varsho breaking spring training with the team.

It is hard for a vet let alone a young player to get their timing down if they don't get regular playing time. 

In OBP leagues Jacob Stallings is a possibility as in the doctor's credo of "first do no harm."  Not many counting stats on the Pirates team but his current OBP of .391 helps average out some big bopper you have with a current lousy OBP.  (Looking at you, Marcell Ozuna).

Keep an eye on Yan Gomes.

Some interesting stuff going on with his profile.

1. Underperforming his xwoba (-.60 pts), xSLG (by -.200 pts)  xBA (-0.75 pts)

2. Has close to DOUBLE the barrel rate he normally does in his career

3. All time low K% and SwSTR% all time high contact % and z contact etc

4. Swinging in general at all an all time low and close to a best clip outside the zone although it has yet to materialize into more walks.

Will any of these stick? Remains to be seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/3/2021 at 11:20 AM, Richard Kimble said:

Although he has no upside, Yan Gomes looks to me like a decent ROS option for teams looking to steady the position. He's not being buried in the lineup, and is getting most of the PT over Avila. Most of the projections have him producing around a .250 BA with 10-13 HRs and 40 R/RBI from here on out, and I'd wager he can outperform those numbers slightly. He might not give you the HR production of a Dom Nunez, but also not a risk to crater your BA. His current profile shows his FB% about 10% below career norms, but an increased GB and pull rate also, which should normalize and produce some better ISO/SLG numbers. He's in the "safe but not exciting" category for me alongside guys like Stallings in PIT but behind a guy like Barnhart off to a great start in CIN. 

I never get any credit around here 😉 but glad to see this past week has been good for both and a few other managers have taken notice of Gomes and Stallings, who hit his 2nd HR last night in a losing effort, and is sneaky good in OBP leagues as Bat mentioned. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 4/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Richard Kimble said:

I'm looking at Martin Maldonado's 5/55 start and kind of wondering...is there a chance he hits like sub .150 this year? The Astros even re-signed him for next season, so they clearly don't care about his offense. I thought his modest showing last year was an incredible fluke, and I really could see him having a BA well below Mendoza and a slugging maybe around .300. He belongs in the "punt the category rather than let him hurt you" heap. 

Also...he's currently the worst ranked offensive player in my deep 2-catcher AL only league, one notch below Andrus (who spurred this diatribe b/c I wanted to see if he truly was the worst hitter thus far), demoted Leody Tavares, DFA'd Tsutsugo and Danny Jansen. 🤮

This after Maldonado finally hit a HR to raise his line to .132/.426 OPS and Jansen had HRs in three straight games. The only reason I keep pointing this out is that Jason Castro would certainly be interesting if he had more PT, and if Maldonado really continues to be this terrible, Castro should hit his way into more ABs as the summer progresses. I just wonder if at his age he really can play more than 50 games or even back to back. I'm sure whatever he produces will be more valuable in such deep formats than Maldonado-again, Martin does more harm than good. Maybe DFS formats could give you a rebate on other players if you plug him into your C spot 🤷‍♂️

Not to be bench coach,but this migjt apply to some people:

Narvaez was dropped in many leagues. 

1)Is he a top 12 C? 

2) is it possible he only get like 300 ABs as part of a 3 heqded monster?

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

With Abreu out,  Collins might get some run at 1b or dh?

They're not even done administering smelling salts and fantasy managers are already looking for an angle?!?!?!?

**Yeah, I thought the same thing and am thinking about picking up Collins.  

• Haha 1

If you have a spot, Zunino is worth a stream vs. lefties.

Goes deep against Peterson today. Last time vs. lefty homer also against Montgomery. Note that both times these SPs pitched a good game.

Last time I missed the HR due to an unlucky occurrence with lineup but tonight I got it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Zunino has been on fire the past week plus, although Mejia is back with the team and hit a bomb the other day as well. 

Meanwhile, Varsho back to AAA, and his chance at fantasy relevance this year seems remote. D'Backs are awful so maybe he'll get some run later this summer yet. He reminds me of Jordan Pacheco in that he was someone always hyped up as a C eligible at other positions that would get regular playing time and steal bases, never happened. The verdict is out now on whether Eric Haase, who HAS been getting regular OF reps in Det for the past week, can hit enough to keep getting PT. But he had knocks every game prior to tonight's 0-5, and was a Jordan Luplow diving catch away from a 2 out base hit to take the lead in the 9th. Reasonably speaking, any C eligible with regular PT is instantly in the conversation in many formats, so he has already taken up a profile on here.

Also today, Jorge Alfaro is back from IL in Miami and should be a a serviceable catcher in NL only and 2 catcher leagues. James McCann getting 1B eligibility also seems on the horizon, as the Mets injuries have forced him to 1B, and he has been a slow starter that could have been dropped in some shallower mixed leagues. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

Couldn't find a thread for Austin Nola (not sure he deserves one) so I'm here. 

image.png.a88af519b47c3be3eeb3bae0b2d8cbde.png

At this point going catcherless seems like a decent idea. 

2 hours ago, collucho said:

Couldn't find a thread for Austin Nola (not sure he deserves one) so I'm here. 

image.png.a88af519b47c3be3eeb3bae0b2d8cbde.png

At this point going catcherless seems like a decent idea. 

Looks like Caratini won the hearts of the pitchers. Was hoping for PT and 2B eligibility for Nola

4 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Looks like Caratini won the hearts of the pitchers. Was hoping for PT and 2B eligibility for Nola

It is an injury as Nola will be placed on the IL with a sprained knee. They are saying "not too serious" and just a "few weeks" for now. I think if he returns healthy he should still claim the majority of PT. Caratini is Darvish's personal catcher, and they can work Nola into the lineup in another spot once or twice if they want to play Caratini up to 3 times a week. I don't know how much I trust the Padres timetable either. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, collucho said:

How about this Haase guy?

He's facing the White Sox rotation after a series at home against the Mariners, so we could see him go ice cold real quick. That said, if you're slumming it in this thread you could do a lot worse. 

While you may have missed the boat on Eric Haase, don't sleep on Max Stassi. I was going to mention him earlier after he homered yesterday, but today he has already gone deep for what is now his 3rd homer in his last 3 starts. PT shouldn't be a problem as long as he's healthy, and he was even in the cleanup spot tonight, a juicy spot in the Angels lineup now. Having both guys going for me in a 2-catcher AL only league right now is extra sweet.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, smeeze said:

What happened to Mitch Garver?

He's had surgery and I don't know if we'll see him again this year. Ryan Jeffers has looked pretty good since his recall in AAA, they said he reworked his swing a bit and he's had good results over the past week with a couple of HRs and several multi-hit games, couple more RBI tonight. Another potential option that should be able to get the majority of PT going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Zunino is quietly 2nd among all catchers in homers with 15 on the season. He's 3 behind Perez despite having 120 something fewer at bats. Dude is widely available in a lot of formats. Yeah, he's going to tank your average, but that goes for most catchers. Might as well get a guy who gives you above average production in a category. And because he's sitting so often, it's easier to absorb the other atrocious ratios.

Garver is has been cleared for baseball activities. No return date yet but sounds like he's on his way back.

Austin Nola is now taking batting practice and doing some catching so he's on his way back at some point.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:28 PM, Richard Kimble said:

He's had surgery and I don't know if we'll see him again this year. Ryan Jeffers has looked pretty good since his recall in AAA, they said he reworked his swing a bit and he's had good results over the past week with a couple of HRs and several multi-hit games, couple more RBI tonight. Another potential option that should be able to get the majority of PT going forward.

I thought he was about to start some form of baseball activities?