NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I thought he was about to start some form of baseball activities?

Garver? First I've heard. Jeffers has been up and down, but Jake Rogers of the Tigers and Reese McGuire of the Jays have been making the most of their ABs recently for deep 2 catcher leagues. I wonder when we'll hear something about Captain Kirk for the Jays soon too.

9 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Garver? First I've heard. Jeffers has been up and down, but Jake Rogers of the Tigers and Reese McGuire of the Jays have been making the most of their ABs recently for deep 2 catcher leagues. I wonder when we'll hear something about Captain Kirk for the Jays soon too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/twins-mitch-garver-resumes-baseball-activities/amp/

Like I mentioned above, don't sleep on Reese McGuire right now in the deep 2-catcher formats. He hasn't shown enough power yet to be mixed-league viable, and is stuck at the bottom of the order. Still, he lined 3 singles last night, and I was impressed with his swing while watching from the stands. He's hitting .346 in the past month with a .908 OPS, and although Alejandro Kirk could return and press for PT, you have to like McGuire to keep getting run in that lineup for the foreseeable future. Unfortunate news for "Coke Bottle" Glasses Jansen, I have an affinity for that last name...

30 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Like I mentioned above, don't sleep on Reese McGuire right now in the deep 2-catcher formats. He hasn't shown enough power yet to be mixed-league viable, and is stuck at the bottom of the order. Still, he lined 3 singles last night, and I was impressed with his swing while watching from the stands. He's hitting .346 in the past month with a .908 OPS, and although Alejandro Kirk could return and press for PT, you have to like McGuire to keep getting run in that lineup for the foreseeable future. Unfortunate news for "Coke Bottle" Glasses Jansen, I have an affinity for that last name...

Reese is really stroking it.

• Haha 2

I will again tout Zunino. There are 13 players in all of baseball who have hit more homers than this guy. Most of them have 100+ at bats more than this guy. Zunino is putting up elite power numbers at a position which is normally a black hole across the board, and he's doing it in limited at bats so his crap average doesn't hurt as much. They tweaked his approach this offseason. His barrel rate is elite. This all looks reasonably sustainable. 

• Like 1

Good call on Zunino, he's still widely available and seems like he's on his way to a 30 HR season. Perfect guy to pair with a Christian Vazquez type who is providing not much in the power department.

I also want to tout someone as having an opportunity, however brief, to put together some PT and make a case for a bigger role. Jonah Heim, Amherst native and the only current non-Cubs MLB player I've had the pleasure of meeting, should get the majority of ABs over the next week plus with Jose Trevino injured following a fall at the team hotel. Jonah has shown some pop, and a little speed at the position, so I'm rooting for him on a personal level to catch fire. I know he's looking forward to playing in front of the home crowd in Buffalo when the Rangers show up on the next homestand, and hoping he can be a viable 2nd catcher option; his plate discipline is good, and I think he can get the BA up in weeks to come with more regular ABs. I admit I'm biased here, though.

• Like 1

I bumped Alejandro Kirk's thread when he failed to get the call-up over Danny Jansen today, and this also downgrades Reese McGuire, who figured to lose PT either way.

A few other situations have evolved in recent games; William Contreras has fallen out of favor in Atlanta recently with Kevan Smith getting more PT, presumably for defensive reasons as William has been rough at times. Contreras' bat has been OK, almost exactly on par with his bigger brother, but both have slumped heavily after some initial HR power, and both are getting hard to roster. Willson obviously needs to be kept around because he's a prominent piece of the Cubs lineup, but its hard to make a case for his lil' brother if there are better options now. 

Don't look now, but Jason Castro has started 4 straight games over Maldonado in Houston. He hasn't gone deep yet, but is a much more interesting catcher for fantasy purposes than Maldonado. If he has PT, he should be added immediately if you are in a 2 catcher league that rewards OBP skills, as his 15:25 BB:K rate shows. The Houston lineup also provides plenty of RBI opportunities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Don't look now, but Jason Castro has started 4 straight games over Maldonado in Houston. He hasn't gone deep yet, but is a much more interesting catcher for fantasy purposes than Maldonado. If he has PT, he should be added immediately if you are in a 2 catcher league that rewards OBP skills, as his 15:25 BB:K rate shows. The Houston lineup also provides plenty of RBI opportunities. 

Didn't do my research; Maldonado is on the bereavement leave list for a few days, plus they've had Tucker dealing with back spasms for a few games. It should go back to Maldonado as the primary catcher, but it is good to see that Castro can still handle a stretch of steady catching, and I'll keep an eye on his PT to see if he can wrestle some away. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Feel like I'm the only one interested in Scrap Heap anymore, but someone should at least mention what John Hicks has done for the Rangers-4 HRs in short order in only a few games since his call-up. I touted Jonah Heim about a week ago when Trevino went on IL, and he's pitched in some hits and a HR since then, but Hicks has gone absolutely Eric Haase-level nuts in the past week. Who knows if he can keep it up, but he's in a good situation to get more PT in Texas. They seem to be alternating starts, and I'm still hopeful for Heim-he's had among the most hard hit balls for catchers in the past month, and today both were in the lineup with Hicks at DH. Heim hit a ball to the warning track earlier, that was caught by Mazara, while an idiot fan in Texas threw a tennis ball onto the field to distract him-he caught both in one of the stranger plays I've seen this year. Anyway, the Rangers' situation is looking similar to the Haase/Rogers platoon in Detroit, good for 2 catcher leagues, but hard to recommend for 1-catcher options. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

43 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Heim hit a ball to the warning track earlier, that was caught by Mazara, while an idiot fan in Texas threw a tennis ball onto the field to distract him-he caught both in one of the stranger plays I've seen this year.

@Richard KimbleDo you happen to have a link to watch this bizarre play?

Posted (edited)

new to this thread, picked up Narvaez May 24th, been pretty satisfied with his .399 OBP through 198 AB's. Zunino was available in our 14 teamer until recently and not gonna lie the dingers were tempting me. Narvaez >> Haase though we can agree right? OF Eligibility gives Haase a big + though so it's debatable. Been a lot of value on the scrap heap for C this year. 

Edited by loro1991

3 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

new to this thread, picked up Narvaez May 24th, been pretty satisfied with his .399 OBP through 198 AB's. Zunino was available in our 14 teamer until recently and not gonna lie the dingers were tempting me. Narvaez >> Haase though we can agree right? OF Eligibility gives Haase a big + though so it's debatable. Been a lot of value on the scrap heap for C this year. 

Generally go to the bench coach forum for this team specific of a question, but Narvaez is a solid top 5 catcher ROS for me, and much better in OBP leagues too. Haase and Zunino take hits for their OBP, but both have massive HR power and that offsets some of the obp/ba downside. You're right, there have been good values, but you don't want to get stuck holding someone like William Contreras too long; I mentioned him recently as a downswing, and today the Braves promoted Jonathan Lucroy, and demoted Contreras. Its better for him long term to play every day in the minor and work on his swing/defense. Lucroy might be a good pickup for NL only leagues, but probably doesn't have much left in his bat.

Just an FYI for we catcher scrap heapers, Yan Gomes has an oblique injury.   These can be a pain (no pun intended) for fantasy owners.  Might be 10 days, might be a month plus.  He's been pretty darn solid so far this year too.  

On 6/25/2021 at 10:20 AM, dkrocka said:

Cal Raleigh in AAA is raking. Pick him up and ride the empty slot train.

Good call. I picked him up a while ago. He got the call Sunday, but went 0-for-4. 

It's really bleak out there in the catcherverse for deep 2 C leagues, but for those in desperation mode like I am, Stephen Vogt just got traded to the Braves. This gives him a path to full-time ABs (more or less) for at least a few weeks, until D'Arnaud returns. It also opens up playing time for one Daulton Varsho, who I see has a SB in the box score today. Everyone has been salivating over Varsho for the past year and a half, but the PT hasn't materialized. Now he has one fewer obstacle, so if you need power, grab Vogt, and if you want some real upside, take a shot on Daulton.

Edited by Richard Kimble

On 7/12/2021 at 3:43 PM, Hanghow said:

Luis Torrens is getting DH at-bats and got put in the cleanup spot the final two games before the break.

I was looking at him last week, but the Raleigh call up scared me away. I guess in Seattle if you can hit at all, they'll find a spot and there aren't a whole lot of great DH options obviously. Just don't see it in his minors resume, but hey with catchers take what you can get, while you can get it. 

• 3 weeks later...

My boy Jonah Heim is starting to figure it out, he's hit 4 HRs in the past 3 games, a 1-2-1 sandwich against Seattle with 4 Rs, 6 RBIs. He's had great hard hit rates all year, now its starting to show in the box score. PT is there, and I'm thinking he can hold more value ROS than any of the Seattle catchers including Torrens, Cal Raleigh who has the talent but is striking out alot, and Tom Wilson, all sapping each other of PT. Also in the AL West, Yan Gomes figures to cut sharply into Sean Murphy's PT, and I might take a gamble on Heim if I owned Murphy in a 12 teamer.