NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread

3 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

They didn't play yesterday and he played August 1st, July 31st, July 29th, 28th, and is starting today. Probably easing him in. 

I don't count games where he comes in to pinch hit. Games that he starts are what matters. Easing him in, maybe. Or maybe he's just splitting time. Either way, he has not been good this year. Get Stassi or something if he's available.

Edited by hangin n wangin

9 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don't count games where he comes in to pinch hit. Games that he starts are what matters. Easing him in, maybe. Or maybe he's just splitting time. Either way, he has not been good this year. Get Stassi or something if he's available.

The thread is called scrap heap for a reason. Good god, man. Yes go pick up Stassi if he's available, duh. Not everyone has that luxury.

• Like 3

Riley Adams seems intriguing. He’s Washington catcher 1 B to barreras 1A and the latter doesn’t exactly set the world ablaze.

acquired for brad hand, large man with some large power tools. Blocked in Toronto but with the aforementioned PT in Washington. Homered the other day. I think he’s worth a scrap heap look 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, hangin n wangin said:

He sucks this year.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, hangin n wangin said:

Hardly plays.

Regards Austin Nola:  No.  He has been great.  Darvish has his personal catcher and Nola had been out a long time on the IL and is just getting into regular play.  With an OBP of an even .400 he hardly sucks.  Please check your stats before saying something like that in the future.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Regards Austin Nola:  No.  He has been great.  Darvish has his personal catcher and Nola had been out a long time on the IL and is just getting into regular play.  With an OBP of an even .400 he hardly sucks.  Please check your stats before saying something like that in the future.

Trying to decide between D'Arnaud and Nola.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

K. Let me get him. 

16 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Thinking about dropping Willson Contreras for either d’arnaud or Alfaro 

I'm only considering dropping him because I have Kyle Farmer who plays every day. Would have dropped him by now but there are no arms to add in the league I have him.

2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Yohel Pozo - called up today.

🔬👁

Great call and heck of a debut for the kid. I really know nothing about his prospect viability, other than he was having a great year...but at his age and IF he can catch, there should be nothing standing in his way of regular PT...the DH'ing helps too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Great call and heck of a debut for the kid. I really know nothing about his prospect viability, other than he was having a great year...but at his age and IF he can catch, there should be nothing standing in his way of regular PT...the DH'ing helps too.

Not even available yet in ESPN leagues

😡

21 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It sounds like he’s going to be their DH and if he hits he should be the everyday DH. I hadn’t heard of him this morning but it looks like he’s been one of the hottest hitters in the minors over the last 2 months and an everyday player that qualifies at catcher can be a real cheat code. I’m in.

• Thanks 1

I'd take a long look at Robinson Chirinos in 2C leagues now, with Willson Contreras out he figures to get the bulk of the PT, and is one of the more experienced hitters in the Cubs lineup now. Came into today's action hitting .250 in 44 ABs with 4 HR, 6 R/5 RBI and a .956 OPS in limited action, and is 2-2 so far. He even got an inning at 2B late in one game due to Ross running out of other options, so there has to be some crazy deep league dynasty where he now has added positional value due to this!

PS-I'd be recommending Seby Zavala, too, if it didn't look as if Grandal is due to come back any day and take most of his PT. They should still split things for awhile as the Sox will be cautious with the Yasmanian Devil, but Zavala was impressive in this stint. He basically made Zach Collins a non-factor, and may force the Sox to make a tough decision between the two as the backup.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1