NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Catcher Scrap Heap Thread

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Anyone interested in Tyler Stephenson?

I like this tout. With today’s pinch hit HR today he’s now homered in 3 straight. Reds have 7 home games this week with 3 against the Cubs and 4 against the Marlins. Since he sat today he’ll be back in tomorrow and I’d expect him to play 5 games this week barring any rainouts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the surprise IL trip of Mitch Garver (back soreness) and Ryan Jeffers dealing with an injury, all of a sudden La Tortuga is the only healthy catcher on the Twins roster. I'm down for some Tortoise if he's got the PT, this guy does not strike out and definitely has some pop-he launched one over the monster yesterday, that hit off the very top of the last grandstand row and bounced back, or otherwise would have left the park entirely. I'm actually quite curious what he would do in a full-time role, just because his profile is so unique it would seem to be a perfect fit for some kind of points leagues. I don't know if it will ever materialize, he's certainly more useful to a team in his super-utility role, but he's probably worth a look in deep 2-C leagues at this moment. 

Zunino is still available in a surprising number of leagues. He has the second most homers among all catchers, behind only Perez. Zunibomber has 27 homers compared to Salvador's 35. Perez has 200+ more at bats than Zunino this year. Go double check your waivers to see if he's still somehow available in one of your leagues.

10 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Zunino is still available in a surprising number of leagues. He has the second most homers among all catchers, behind only Perez. Zunibomber has 27 homers compared to Salvador's 35. Perez has 200+ more at bats than Zunino this year. Go double check your waivers to see if he's still somehow available in one of your leagues.

He's regarded in the exact same way as Adam Duvall. I passed him over for returning Grandal and was happy with the result, but otherwise would have added him. Back to Garver, it really has been an up and down year, a lot of injuries, some fluke-ish, but he's never emerged from the platoon, either. Even a few weeks ago both he and Jeffers were hitting, but Baldelli stubbornly refused to put one at DH and the other at catcher aside from perhaps one or two games. So I'm not very high on him next year, he's got some pop but I regard his 2019 year as a juiced ball outlier.