NBC Sports Edge Forums

10 team Yahoo H2H 5 keeper league. Fairly standard cats with OPS and QS instead of Ws. You lose the round the keeper was drafted. If picked up from FA, you lose last round (R22). My locked keepers are Degrom (R2), Cole (R5), Bieber (R12), Bregman (21).

The options I'm considering for my last keeper are Ketel Marte (R22) and Mondesi (R19). Matt Olson (R13) is a distant third option. I had "decided" to go with Marte, but re-thinking it now.

What would you do and why? WHIR! TIA!

2 hours ago, squidthunder said:

I like Marte - brings more to the table than Mondesi (to me, a 1 trick pony)

That's what I was thinking as well, but the avg draft position of Mondesi vs Marte got me thinking. Thx for the help.

• Like 1

Mondesi here for me. Though it's a long shot, he could squeeze out a 20 HR/50 SB year. OPS won't likely be as strong as Marte, but Marte won't come close to the SB total. In the end, the power production could be a wash.

Help here?

Appreciate the help. Starting to lean that way now. The other benefit of Marte is the MPE, especially with 2B being pretty shallow compared to SS (my opinion of course). And Bregman has SS eleg. Thanks again.

11 hours ago, IkeDawg said:

Mondesi in the 19th round would be my pick.  His ceiling is just sooo high that it's worth the risk.

Appreciate the help. Starting to lean that way now. The other benefit of Marte is the MPE, especially with 2B being pretty shallow compared to SS (my opinion of course). And Bregman has SS eleg. Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Smacdaddy said:

I personally like Marte...but Mondesi is probably the better pick due to scarcity of SB.

That's what has me thinking this, the SBs. I do like the MPE of Marte a lot. Mondesi is SS only and SS is incredibly deep this year in my opinion. But Mondesi can win SBs every week for me by himself. 

Marte, outside of one unreal season, has been a middling fantasy player for years.  If you're looking for steals and to help you win one cat, I'd go with Mondesi.  Look at Marte's numbers - he's not really going to help you on the base paths/swiping bases.

You'd be keeping Marte with the belief that his 2019 season wasn't just a fluke.

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Marte, outside of one unreal season, has been a middling fantasy player for years.  If you're looking for steals and to help you win one cat, I'd go with Mondesi.  Look at Marte's numbers - he's not really going to help you on the base paths/swiping bases.

You'd be keeping Marte with the belief that his 2019 season wasn't just a fluke.

Ha!!!! That's what makes it so hard. I was obviously a Marte owner in 2019 and he carried my team in a bunch of cats for a good portion of the season. And he has been swinging it very well in ST (I know, ST is ST). Really appreciate the feedback.

2 hours ago, thebestpr21 said:

Ha!!!! That's what makes it so hard. I was obviously a Marte owner in 2019 and he carried my team in a bunch of cats for a good portion of the season. And he has been swinging it very well in ST (I know, ST is ST). Really appreciate the feedback.

I'd keep Mondesi.  Marte is getting older, his steals have declined a little bit in recent years and I expect that trend to continue as he gets older.  Also the trade to MIA, which has a very pedestrian lineup, is arguably the worst hitters park in baseball, did his fantasy value no favors.  There was quite a big difference in his production with ARI compared to with MIA last year.  I'm avoiding Marte this year considering he's still going in the early 30s in most leagues.

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'd keep Mondesi.  Marte is getting older, his steals have declined a little bit in recent years and I expect that trend to continue as he gets older.  Also the trade to MIA, which has a very pedestrian lineup, is arguably the worst hitters park in baseball, did his fantasy value no favors.  There was quite a big difference in his production with ARI compared to with MIA last year.  I'm avoiding Marte this year considering he's still going in the early 30s in most leagues.

Ketel Marte, not Starlin Marte.