NBC Sports Edge Forums

Salfino has a lot of these one off kind of crazy takes based off eye test / small sample, but Chisholm is still a player to pay attention to. He's having a very nice spring with 3 HR and 4 SB, .351 OBP. Still striking out a lot, but at this point that looks like its a part of his game. He seems to have won the 2B job so no service time issues here. Should have SS and 2B eligibility in most formats. Not someone I am targeting in standard and even deep leagues, but might be someone I'd be quick to pick up if he gets off to a good start based on the upside potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Except he didn’t say he could be the next Tatis. He just suggested Jazz could be sorta like Tatis in that he succeeds despite the K rate. At least that’s how I read it .

I am thinking 50-60/15-20/15-20/50-55 and a .200-.220 batting average ... which seems higher than all the projection system prognostications (even ZIPS). As is the case with most prospects, my en

Posted Images

[...] I love keeping rookie eligible guys who will earn significant playing time. Add in the fact that he’s a speed demon with 10-15 HR pop and I feel like this is a bargain. He’s worth a flier after 200 overall in 12 team mixed leagues as a middle infielder.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
6 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Salfino has a lot of these one off kind of crazy takes based off eye test / small sample, but Chisholm is still a player to pay attention to. He's having a very nice spring with 3 HR and 4 SB, .351 OBP. Still striking out a lot, but at this point that looks like its a part of his game. He seems to have won the 2B job so no service time issues here. Should have SS and 2B eligibility in most formats. Not someone I am targeting in standard and even deep leagues, but might be someone I'd be quick to pick up if he gets off to a good start based on the upside potential.

I"m not familiar with him, but this Salfino guy seems like a click bait poster. Saying Chisolm could be the next Tatis is like saying  Jennifer Lopez could be the next Meryl Streep. That said, he's definitely someone to keep an eye on for a middle infield slot even in shallow leagues. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I"m not familiar with him, but this Salfino guy seems like a click bait poster. Saying Chisolm could be the next Tatis is like saying  Jennifer Lopez could be the next Meryl Streep. That said, he's definitely someone to keep an eye on for a middle infield slot even in shallow leagues. 

Except he didn’t say he could be the next Tatis. He just suggested Jazz could be sorta like Tatis in that he succeeds despite the K rate. At least that’s how I read it :).

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Except he didn’t say he could be the next Tatis. He just suggested Jazz could be sorta like Tatis in that he succeeds despite the K rate. At least that’s how I read it :).

That's the rub in getting clicks. Seems overblown for a 12-teamer, maybe a 16+ teams. 

I've read a few articles which mention his impressing at the Alt Site last summer, and now he's apparently calling Jeter daily for tips on being a better SS.  Seems like he's got the "Get Ownership Buy-in" side covered for getting a real shot.

On a skills side, he's struggled with K at each level and then somewhat figured it out prior to going to Mia and then the Shortened season last year, I'm expecting similar here, but if he can hit .250 I think he's got a chance to hold on to the gig.  25hr-30+sb future potential at SS/2B.  Maybe 10+-15+ this year even without 500 ABs.

I'm THRILLED in NL-Only, but for 10 team mixed I think he's just "Watch List" for now.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

I've read a few articles which mention his impressing at the Alt Site last summer, and now he's apparently calling Jeter daily for tips on being a better SS.  Seems like he's got the "Get Ownership Buy-in" side covered for getting a real shot.

On a skills side, he's struggled with K at each level and then somewhat figured it out prior to going to Mia and then the Shortened season last year, I'm expecting similar here, but if he can hit .250 I think he's got a chance to hold on to the gig.  25hr-30+sb future potential at SS/2B.  Maybe 10+-15+ this year even without 500 ABs.

I'm THRILLED in NL-Only, but for 10 team mixed I think he's just "Watch List" for now.

Projection systems have him at around .200 this year. Honestly I think the upside is he hits .220 - .230 this year and delivers 20 HR and 25 SB. There's definitely value in that but that is the upside in redraft. Its more likely he ends up around the Mendoza line with high teens HR and high teens SB. Maybe there is value in that too but it likely comes with weak R and RBI so its a negative in 3 stats, positive in one (SB) and average in one (HR).

Jazz Chisholm has been awarded the Marlins second base job according to General Manager Kim Ng.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add a little to the above post, Bad news for Isan Diaz:

Jazz Chisholm has been awarded the Marlins second base job according to general manager Kim Ng.

Isan Diaz will start the season in Triple-A as a result. Chisholm is 11-for-41 (.268) with three home runs and four stolen bases in Grapefruit League play. The 23-year-old is ranked as the Marlins fourth-best prospect and the sixty-sixth best in baseball according to MLB Pipeline. Chisholm is viewed as the shortstop of the future in Miami but will occupy the keystone this upcoming season.

Source: Craig Mish on Twitter                        Mar 28, 2021, 3:48 PM ET

Remember that the Marlins traded away Zac Gallen to get Jazz.

• Like 1

I am thinking 50-60/15-20/15-20/50-55 and a .200-.220 batting average ... which seems higher than all the projection system prognostications (even ZIPS).

As is the case with most prospects, my enthusiasm correlates directly with whether I own shares of them, and since I have no investments in Jazz I am fairly meh on him for 2021.  If I draft him next year I expect big things.

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I am thinking 50-60/15-20/15-20/50-55 and a .200-.220 batting average ... which seems higher than all the projection system prognostications (even ZIPS).

As is the case with most prospects, my enthusiasm correlates directly with whether I own shares of them, and since I have no investments in Jazz I am fairly meh on him for 2021.  If I draft him next year I expect big things.

The projection systems are low based on playing time and likely take 0 value into his Spring (which maybe is right).

36 minutes ago, Overlord said:

IMO - If he bats .200 he's not going to get enough plate appearances to hit those counting stat numbers. 

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To add a little to the above post, Bad news for Isan Diaz:

Remember that the Marlins traded away Zac Gallen to get Jazz.

I also remember that the Marlins traded Christian Yelich for Lewis Brinson. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

IMO - If he bats .200 he's not going to get enough plate appearances to hit those counting stat numbers. 

The second he hits those counting stats he will proceed to go zero for forty and THEN will be benched.

Edited by Overlord

It's an uber small sample size, but good to see no Ks through two games. And those games were against Tampa, who is a good K team (and Glasnow specifically). The key to Chisholm is limiting the Ks. Everything else looks amazing. Great bat speed. Good tools. Even a decent eye. Chisholm is from the Bahamas, so he hasn't had the most traditional developmental path. So he's a bit of a wild card as to how he develops and if/when he can reign in the Ks. Could be this year, though odds are he's not there yet. But the rest of the package is pretty impressive if he ever figures it out.

He's definitely exciting to watch. I like the blue hair.   [...] he should provide some needed SBs until Mondesi comes back.  Hopefully he'll move up in the lineup though.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
  • Like 1

I scooped in a 14 teamer. Desperately need steals. Wish I’d grabbed him yesterday since he swiped 2 today

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Wonder why he was pulled in the 5th inning

Hopefully just for the double switch

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This kid is going to be a star. I don’t play in any dynasty leagues but if I did I’d be doing everything I could to pry him off the owner’s hands.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, meh2 said:

This kid is going to be a star. I don’t play in any dynasty leagues but if I did I’d be doing everything I could to pry him off the owner’s hands.

Barrels are awesome, but his plate discipline remains sorely lacking - I would need to see some evidence of a major turnaround before counting on him in the way I would those others listed.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Barrels are awesome, but his plate discipline remains sorely lacking - I would need to see some evidence of a major turnaround before counting on him in the way I would those others listed.

I don’t think the person on Twitter who posted that nor I are saying he’s in the category of those hitters right now. The point is he’s doing some impressive things this year that we should start paying attention to and that he has significant upside to turn into an all star level player down the road.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I don’t think the person on Twitter who posted that nor I are saying he’s in the category of those hitters right now. The point is he’s doing some impressive things this year that we should start paying attention to and that he has significant upside to turn into an all star level player down the road.

Ok.  I agree with that.

• Like 2