NBC Sports Edge Forums

38 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Barrels are awesome, but his plate discipline remains sorely lacking - I would need to see some evidence of a major turnaround before counting on him in the way I would those others listed.

Small sample size obviously...but he's at 7 walks vs. 12 K's so far this season.  That's not terrible.

• Like 2
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also remember that the Marlins traded Christian Yelich for Lewis Brinson. 

Look at the location on this 100 mph heater from Alvarado: And look at the swing he puts on it: And look where the ball lands: Making any contact at all on a ball with th

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Small sample size obviously...but he's at 7 walks vs. 12 K's so far this season.  That's not terrible.

It’s not “terrible” but even in that small improved sample size, he has near a 30% K rate. I’m not sure how many people play in standard leagues but even the best hitters on the planet can’t sustain a high AVG with that kind of strikeout potential (see: Acuna last year) 

Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

It’s not “terrible” but even in that small improved sample size, he has near a 30% K rate. I’m not sure how many people play in standard leagues but even the best hitters on the planet can’t sustain a high AVG with that kind of strikeout potential (see: Acuna last year) 

More and more standard leagues are moving to OBP or OPS.  Batting average leagues are disappearing quickly.  In my OBP leagues he is at .405.  I'll take that any day.  And yes he nor anyone else pretty much won;t end up over .400 but for a 23 year old pumped to be in the Majors that is a pretty damn fine start.

He's only played about 30 games so far in the MLB. He's developing his bat. He's got the confidence to do so. I wouldn't want to miss out.

Like Big Bat Theory said on page 1, Derek Jeter traded Zac Gallen for Jazz in 2019, when Jazz struck out 123 times over 314 at-bats (good for a .204 average) with the Diamondbacks' AA affiliate, just as Gallen looked the like the top SP (MLB-ready) prospect in the game at the time. It was a fairly shocking trade. But maybe, if it wasn't regarding Gallen's potential longevity, one of the greatest SS of all-time saw something in a fellow middle infielder others didn't.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

The league batting average total so far is .235.    The last 3 years it's hovered around .245-.250.  So even if Jazz hits .230 or so, that's not that terrible compared to league average.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Buttttt. He's cut back on his chasing out of the zone so those whiffs are happening in the zone, which I think should be seen as a positive improvement.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

The league batting average total so far is .235.    The last 3 years it's hovered around .245-.250.  So even if Jazz hits .230 or so, that's not that terrible compared to league average.  

Is that fantasy or every real life player?

• Like 1

He could hit .260-.280. I dont expect near .300 with that K rate, its pretty rare.

27 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Is that fantasy or every real life player?

That is modern day baseball period with the three true outcome brought on by the radical shifts.  Until the shifts are forced to be modified into less extreme shifts an average of .230 is considered perfectly acceptable.

That is why OBP is a truer measure since it includes BB which is one of the three true outcomes.  And Jazz has a .405 going into today which is awesome.  Again he can't keep this up nor could 99% of the league but it shows he has a good eye at the plate and is getting on base wonderfully.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
19 minutes ago, Evincar said:

He could hit .260-.280. I dont expect near .300 with that K rate, its pretty rare.

Do you have any examples of a 280 average with 30% K rate? I feel like the closest would be Franmil’s season where he hit 275 but even that seems like a rare outcome 

Do you have any examples of a 280 average with 30% K rate? I feel like the closest would be Franmil’s season where he hit 275 but even that seems like a rare outcome 

I would say guys like Judge, Baez, Hiura, and Moncada are good examples.

Edited by Evincar

If we just look at 2019, here's some in the ballpark:

Trevor Story hit 293 with a 26.5% K rate

Trevor Story hit .293 with a 26.5% K rate

Yoan Moncada hit .315 with a 27.5% K rate

Ronald Acuña hit .280 with a 26.3% K rate

If you want something higher, Danny Santana hit .283 with a 29.5% K rate.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jahmon4 said:

The next Lindor

I did no research to back that up tho. Just feels.

Same position, similar haircut and personality. 

• Haha 1

I just picked him up, but I didn’t realize that Mattingly is fond of benching him via double switches.  He did it in the 4th inning yesterday.  Is that old time baseball?  I can’t see how that really helps you win, but then again, who am I to question the great Don Mattingly?

• Like 1

Love this dude, he oozes talent. However his BABIP is sky high right now at .429. Brace for impact when regression comes.

I'm curious what type of BABIP he can run with the exit velo and speed profile.