NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Austin Meadows 2021 Outlook

4 HRs and 2 SBs in spring so far. I'm definitely throwing Meadows' 2020 season out the window, but should we expect his 2019 numbers? I'm willing to find out, current adp around 80-85. He's almost 26 years old, we may not have seen the best season from this former 1st round (real life) draft pick. I'll be buying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

4 HRs and 2 SBs in spring so far. I'm definitely throwing Meadows' 2020 season out the window, but should we expect his 2019 numbers? I'm willing to find out, current adp around 80-85. He's almost 26 years old, we may not have seen the best season from this former 1st round (real life) draft pick. I'll be buying.

He will be a third round pick in fantasy next year. Excellent value guy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He's been pretty a** throughout May...I don't think his incredibly flyball heavy approach is working with these new baseballs. He's barreling at a high rate with his usual 70th percentile EV, but it isn't translating to a whole lot. xStats say he's been unlucky on his SLG, but not sure how much of that is due to flyballs losing their umph this year and not translating into XBHs at their normal rate. Expected average is pretty ugly. Guess we will see if he adjusts, I don't know why he changed his launch angle approach after his massive 2019 season. Counting stats have bee nice minus the lack of swipes.

I've always liked Meadows, but I'm starting to lose some faith. He isn't hitting against lefties (sometimes not even playing against them). I don't even care about the stolen bases, honestly. I just want him to hit for a decent average and play every day.

• 2 weeks later...

is it wild to consider cutting this guy, mainly out of necessity? 

Looks like just a guy without the SBs.  None of the projection systems like him either ROS.

Prolly holding in my dynasty, but next on the chopping block in keeper seeing as how i can't get anyone to take him, even as a throw-in in a deal.

On 5/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, crotchcrickets said:

is it wild to consider cutting this guy, mainly out of necessity? 

Dear God No! He's slashing .240/.330/.893 over the past 30 days with 17 R, 7 HR and 27 RBI, plus a steal. Don't know why you're calling him a guy who doesn't steal, as he still figures to nab a few SB by year's end. He's going to return the value necessary for his draft position, so cutting him is absolutely insane in any format. Even his subpar .229 BA right now figures to continue to ciimb as the summer progresses. His BABIP is very low at .259, when even last season it was .288 with a .205 avg, and prior years was above .330. The only other thing in his profile that really jumps up right now is that he's hitting a lot more flyballs than years past, which figures to translate to more HRs. The BA might not make it to .270 as we hoped, but even .250 with these counting stats will do nicely. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Dear God No! He's slashing .240/.330/.893 over the past 30 days with 17 R, 7 HR and 27 RBI, plus a steal. Don't know why you're calling him a guy who doesn't steal, as he still figures to nab a few SB by year's end. He's going to return the value necessary for his draft position, so cutting him is absolutely insane in any format. Even his subpar .229 BA right now figures to continue to ciimb as the summer progresses. His BABIP is very low at .259, when even last season it was .288 with a .205 avg, and prior years was above .330. The only other thing in his profile that really jumps up right now is that he's hitting a lot more flyballs than years past, which figures to translate to more HRs. The BA might not make it to .270 as we hoped, but even .250 with these counting stats will do nicely. 

It’s low because he hits so many fly balls. He could really use more line drives, his launch angle is too high. But he’s hot right now so fingers crossed. 

Agreed, the babip sucks because he's hitting flyballs in like 60% of his ABs. His batted ball profile looks the same in May, but he's got a 260avg/1.00x OPS so cant complain about that. If he can hit 250+ and keep up the power, I will be happy. Really wish he'd bring down his launch angle some and get back to 2019 meadows, but it doesnt seem like the FB heavy approach is going anywhere. I just hope he can stay away from a Joey Gallo-esque average, he's got too much bat talent to revert into that kind of hitter.

• 1 month later...

I just acquired Meadows as well in my keeper league, and I am looking forward to his second half. I see him more as the type of guy who will quietly be productive, as opposed to the type of guy who's thread will be bumped every night he plays. He's not going to be the most exciting player to own, but at the end of the season he will finish somewhere around 50-60 overall. My prediction down the stretch: .240/15HR/8SB/85R+RBI.

3 hours ago, fatbob166 said:

I just acquired Meadows as well in my keeper league, and I am looking forward to his second half. I see him more as the type of guy who will quietly be productive, as opposed to the type of guy who's thread will be bumped every night he plays. He's not going to be the most exciting player to own, but at the end of the season he will finish somewhere around 50-60 overall. My prediction down the stretch: .240/15HR/8SB/85R+RBI.

I agree with your take and prediction looks good minus the 8SB. It doesn't really look like he's ever going to be a base stealer after 12 in 2019. He's only 3/3 this season... be lucky to get 2 or 3 more.

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Won the Rays the game with a CLUTCH 2 out 2 rbi single to walk it off, hes solid, performing below expectations tho

Caught Stealing in the game as well which is unfortunate 

i like the optimism but he is not even a solid performer. 1 homer and 1 steal over the past month,  batting like .240 overall.

don't really see much changing.

can't trade him and can't cut him so basically he has to sit there on your bench and you gotta somehow fin a hot streak.

3 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i like the optimism but he is not even a solid performer. 1 homer and 1 steal over the past month,  batting like .240 overall.

don't really see much changing.

can't trade him and can't cut him so basically he has to sit there on your bench and you gotta somehow fin a hot streak.

Yea the rough month has dropped him just outside the top 30 OF in 5x5

But all it takes is one lil hot streak and hes back as a top 25 OF so i wouldn't lose all hope 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

Do we think the Cruz trade effects his playing time at all?

Yes, unfortunately. He’s got a 68 wRC+ vs lefties this season (146 vs righties) so he’ll probably sit more against lefties. With the way Tampa operates though, even in those games he’ll still end up getting an at bat or two coming in off the bench when the starter is removed. Assuming it pans out that way I don’t think it’ll be a huge hit to his value since he really hasn’t done much anyway against lefties.

• Like 1