NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Bryce Harper 2021 Outlook

38 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I flat out admit that I didn't see any of Sundays game and it may be exagerated.... But from what I read on twitter, he couldn't even swing the bat and threw a 15 bouncer from the OF.  Given the circumstances, I'd prefer he got a few days rest.

I still think he lands on the IL.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:52 AM, OrangeCrush said:

Hasn't looked great of late. Shoulder the issue? This guy has been banged up this season. Numbers aren't great the last few weeks as a whole. 

That's putting it nicely.  He's been flat out putrid the last week.

Second straight healthy scratch today.  Girardi just giving him a couple days to clear his head or something?  Or just to rest his shoulder/wrist/eye socket/whatever is ailing him?

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

That's putting it nicely.  He's been flat out putrid the last week.

Second straight healthy scratch today.  Girardi just giving him a couple days to clear his head or something?  Or just to rest his shoulder/wrist/eye socket/whatever is ailing him?

I hope so.  After Willie calhoun was hit in the face, he was a complete mess at the plate.   

35 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I hope so.  After Willie calhoun was hit in the face, he was a complete mess at the plate.   

Oh, by no means was I implying he’s soft. I’d probably never even watch baseball again, let alone face an MLB pitcher, if I got hit in the face.

To the disabled list...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/phillies-bryce-harper-injured-list.html

The Phillies announced that right fielder Bryce Harper is headed to the 10-day injured list with a forearm contusion. Harper was out of the team’s lineup both Sunday and Monday. Manager Joe Girardi maintained yesterday that his absence from the lineup was not due to injury (link via MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki), but Harper has been mired in a slump and was previously said to be battling various arm ailments (including shoulder and wrist troubles). The team will surely have more on his IL placement later today. Outfielder Roman Quinn is up from Triple-A to take Harper’s spot on the roster for now.

More to come.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like we went from this:

June 4, 2021

Harper has decreased swelling in his forearm but isn't ready to be activated from the injured list, Matt Breen of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

ANALYSIS

The 28-year-old was eligible to return from the injured list Wednesday, but he'll need more than the 10-day minimum to recover from a forearm contusion. Harper remains without an official timeline for his return, but based on comments from manager Joe Girardi, the outfielder is unlikely to be activated this weekend.

To this pretty quickly:

Reinstated from 10-day IL

June 5, 2021

Harper (forearm) was reinstated from the 10-day injured list Saturday.

ANALYSIS

Harper's swelling in his forearm recently decreased, and he'll be now be available to return ahead of Saturday's game against the Nationals. The 28-year-old is slashing .274/.395/.489 with seven home runs, 25 runs and 13 RBI this year, and he'll reclaim his starting role going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kwelch said:

ANALYSIS

Harper's swelling in his forearm recently decreased, and he'll be now be available to return ahead of Saturday's game against the Nationals. The 28-year-old is slashing .274/.395/.489 with seven home runs, 25 runs and 13 RBI this year, and he'll reclaim his starting role going forward.

Oh good, I'm glad he's going to reclaim his starting role, there was a lot of doubt there.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else just "burnt" on Harper like I feel lately? Dynasty owner, and I'm very much thinking the unthinkable...

(I'm tired of his hair, his persona, his vibe... and he just seems despite the (3) excellent years, that the 5-6 others have been average or slightly above. Not that above average is bad, but he's supposed to be a generational guy, he's Bryce Effing Harper, yet the constant injuries and creeping age make me wonder if he's more of a name/brand than a first round pick sure fire HOF player?)

Maybe I'm trippin, but I've passed on so many good offers over the years. Thoughts?

*** Weekly lineups, and this is the 3'rd time he's been hurt this year in the first day or two of scoring period... very irritating, but not his fault obviously. Still though, get your $h!t together Bryce. 🤬

Edited by LarryChip10

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

13 homers and only 23 RBIs. That's amazing.

Honestly holy crap man get out of my head!!!  I was just looking over some player stats and noticed this about Harper.  I hate that they bat him 4th but hopefully with Segura back his RBI totals improve.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bryce has been a monster this year, and will be another of a few guys that deserve to push their way into the first round conversation next year ahead of busts like Lindor, Yelich, etc., and his overall line of .303-29 HR-68 RBI-83 R-12 SB is a healthy ROI for a 2nd round pick. The RBI total is flukishly low, although also a reflection of the poor table setters in front of him in the Phillies lineup. Still, any disappointment there is saved by the elite average and very useful steals. He's very healthy, too, that's an underrated aspect of his game. Even if he doesn't duplicate his MVP season again, this version of him is well worth an early round investment, and I'm going to bet the Phillies add a big bat in FA to give him some more protection next year, too.