NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dynasty Deal: Moncada for Luzardo? WHIR

This is a 10 team h2h, we keep 8, OBP and QS instead of AVG, W. In the process of a slow draft. I have been offered Moncada and an 18th round selection for my Luzardo and 12th round.

My team so far: 

Freeman, Lux, Glebyer, Lindor, Harper, Kelenic, Woodruff, Glasnow, Luzardo 

I tend to lean toward hitters, however, it also helps to compare what is left on the board at this point. 

For 3B, instead of Moncada, I could be looking at K. Hayes or Kris Bryant 

For SP, if I deal Luzardo, I'm likely looking at replacing him with Julio Urias or Lance McCullers 

With that context in mind, and the pick loss, would you still deal for Moncada, or hold onto Luzardo?

To me, in a dynasty league Luzardo has a slight edge in value over Moncada. That's definitely the case in my league that goes nuts over SPs.  I think you can approach it that way and do trade 1x1 or get a better draft round in return.

Help w/ mine? 

I think Luzardo, Urias & McCullers are very similar at this point.  At the end of the season you could tell me who was the best or worst of the 3 & I would believe any outcome.  That said, if you trade Luzardo & replace him with either Urias or McCullers you basically didn't sacrifice anything.  I would lean with McCullers over Urias only because he has a secured spot in the Astros rotation & the Dodgers have Gonsolin, May & Urias all waiting in the wings for a rotation spot.

I feel Moncada & Bryant aren't worlds apart either.  I'm high on Hayes but the jury is still out on him.  If I were you I would try make a splash & pull off a big trade because in 10-Team leagues the waiver wire is very deep so you can always find suitable replacements if anything were to go wrong.

Thanks for the help with mine!!

37 minutes ago, Padrino said:

I think Luzardo, Urias & McCullers are very similar at this point.  At the end of the season you could tell me who was the best or worst of the 3 & I would believe any outcome.  That said, if you trade Luzardo & replace him with either Urias or McCullers you basically didn't sacrifice anything.  I would lean with McCullers over Urias only because he has a secured spot in the Astros rotation & the Dodgers have Gonsolin, May & Urias all waiting in the wings for a rotation spot.

I feel Moncada & Bryant aren't worlds apart either.  I'm high on Hayes but the jury is still out on him.  If I were you I would try make a splash & pull off a big trade because in 10-Team leagues the waiver wire is very deep so you can always find suitable replacements if anything were to go wrong.

Thanks for the help with mine!!

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps I could see "not sacrificing much" FOR THIS SEASON if Luzardo has an ok year and McCullers has a good comeback year (he was a nightmare to own last year ;). So maybe I could see your point in a a redraft league. In a dynasty league, I believe there is a significant gap between McCullers and Luzardo. Luzardo is one of the best young arms in baseball with the potential of being a top SP. Again, my opinion.