NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Gallo 2021 Outlook

4 minutes ago, collucho said:

How does this man not have a thread?

This forum is shaking the cobwebs off as life slowly returns to this message board.

I don't want to take too much credit, but until I once again started logging on here I literally wasn't seeing any conversations on this site.  You can't explain that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, collucho said:

How does this man not have a thread?

2 for 2 today with another dinger (6). Batting .333 in spring training. Could this be a sign that he's ready to hit .250+? 

I sure hope so.  I read that he was working to lower his launch angle since his was one of the highest in the league and to stop trying to hit home runs everytime..... anything above .230 in my mind would be incredible

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

This forum is shaking the cobwebs off as life slowly returns to this message board.

I don't want to take too much credit, but until I once again started logging on here I literally wasn't seeing any conversations on this site.  You can't explain that!

actually this is easily explained.  If you weren't logging into the forum it was virtually impossible to see any conversations on this forum.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

It was like a switch was turned on and a door opened.  This place lit up like Astudillo’s face at Thanksgiving dinner.  The return of Your inimitable wit and trenchant observations were desperately needed.  I’m sure I say it for everyone when I say “All hail our Overlord!”  Kidding aside it’s good to see your posts again. 

Edited by Wilford Brimley
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Time to panic yet? Someone in my league just dropped him. Never been a player I’ve followed closely. I know he’s not a big average guy but is there something causing the lack of power or is he just getting unlucky?

He’s not getting anything to hit because the rest of the lineup is trash. Frustrating but I’m still holding. 3 weeks isn’t enough of a sample size to make me drop him. 

38 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

He’s not getting anything to hit because the rest of the lineup is trash. Frustrating but I’m still holding. 3 weeks isn’t enough of a sample size to make me drop him. 

I think Nick Solak, Nate Lowe, Willie Calhoun, Adolis Garcia, David Dahl, Isiah Kiner-Falefa all have room to grow. They're at least formidable. It's more so on Gallo who hasn't done the thing he's best at - hitting homers.

There's an article about it, here. Seems like he's trying to become a patient hitter, and he's gotten 21 walks as a result (yet stills rank in bottom 10 for strikeouts), but he's laying off a lot of pitches. Hopefully he can find a happy medium. Either way, it's a good bet, he'll find his power stroke. Let's just hope, once he does, he's not batting .215 again. If he's batting .240/.250 with league best power, you don't want to give up on that early.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2021/04/25/when-will-joey-gallos-power-return-his-unusual-extra-base-drought-is-an-unsolved-mystery-for-rangers/

In the last week, there have been other potentially concerning signs that suggest as the power drought has extended, perhaps Gallo has hunted walks. He’s taken nine called third strikes, seven on the road trip that just ended. Six came on full-count pitches. That included a 94 mph fastball from Michael Kopech on Sunday that Gallo thought was inside. And it might have been.

The StatCast data show a guy who has one of the 10 lowest chase rates in baseball, but one of the 20 highest swing-and-miss rates. Those numbers tell a story of a hitter not expanding the zone, but also one not dominating inside it.

“He’s staying in the strike zone, and that’s all you can do,” Woodward said. “He’s always going to have a tick higher swing-and-miss than other guys based on his swing. If that continues, that’s something he can clean up and fix mechanically to stay above the baseball. But, if you want to hit, the hardest thing to do is stay in the strike zone. He’s doing that. If he cleans up the swing and miss and maintains the quality of swinging at strikes, he’s going to be elite.”

7 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Jeez, a 23% walk rate, and a 33% K rate?  Not putting the ball in play in over 55% of his PAs.  Maybe he just forgot to purchase a bat this year.

It’s coming, one of the Best Buy lows right now. 

• Like 1

He has a .444 OBP which is of little benefit to those of us in standard roto leagues but the fact that his SLG% is almost half of what it has been over the last 4 years makes this a situation where you should hold or look to buy low.  He is averaging 38 HR per 140 games over the last 4 seasons.  The 1 HR so far stinks but just way too early to cut bait, imo.  

3 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

He's trash.  Always has been.  Drop city.

He's only two seasons removed (minus 2020) from batting .253 with 22 HR, 49 RBI in 70 games.

I don’t want to go find it but apparently he came into the season focusing on simply getting on base.  He’s taking his walks, has beaten the shift with a bunt at least once and is hitting singles more than home runs for the first time in his career.  He’s still relatively young and trying to change the approach pitchers take against him, if he finds a happy medium between this and his old self we’re looking at what he did to start 2019, which was elite.  Owners should be patient though, dropping him now is just ridiculous

2 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Anyone can get hot for half a season.   

What about the 3 years before that where he hit 40 hr a year?  Can anyone do that too?  

If you actually want to throw doubt on Gallo bring up his Hamate surgery and how it has sapped power from players on the past.  It’s almost always sapped power for at least a period after their return too.  Gallos EVs have been down ever since surgery and it is concerning, but he’s also only 27 and if his raw power is suffering right now I’m glad as an owner he’s using the time to learn to draw walks and get on base at an elite clip.

13 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Maybe your post was more suited for the vent & rant or a gameday thread, but you shouldn't have drafted him if you thought he was trash.  That's on you.  He is what he is and it's far too early to assume he's otherwise, IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

What about the 3 years before that where he hit 40 hr a year?  Can anyone do that too?  

If you actually want to throw doubt on Gallo bring up his Hamate surgery and how it has sapped power from players on the past.  It’s almost always sapped power for at least a period after their return too.  Gallos EVs have been down ever since surgery and it is concerning, but he’s also only 27 and if his raw power is suffering right now I’m glad as an owner he’s using the time to learn to draw walks and get on base at an elite clip.

EV, Max EV & LA are all down this year.  But again, we're talking about 36 batted ball events.  The guy just simply hasn't put the ball in play enough to really draw much in the way of conclusions.

12 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Anyone can get hot for half a season.   

Joey Gallo Career .822 OPS 

Manny Machado Career .823 OPS

Justin Upton Career .819 OPS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Second player thread I’ve seen you dismiss an edtablished player in the early going, with very little analysis or input to support your reasoning. 

Seems like the type of fantasy baseball manager that ditches their draft pick for a flash in the pan and gets left empty-handed as the season progresses, while other seasoned managers profit off of the lack of patience.  Bless your soul. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Drought ended. Nice line drive HR tonight. Good to see the hard contact is still there. 

Amazing what the guy can do when he brings a bat up to the plate with him.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Amazing what the guy can do when he brings a bat up to the plate with him.

I'm honestly more impressed with what he's done without the bat. I already knew he could hit homeruns.

He looked like this for awhile in 2019, before the injury. Abnormally patient. I can understand why some people might think he's trash; the spectrum on Gallo is as wide as maybe any player. In my OBP league, at least, he's always been a bit of a value cheat code and this recent improvement only amplifies that. AVG or OBP, however, I'm confused as to how anyone paying attention can't see the potential sum of the parts here. 

• 4 weeks later...