NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Gallo 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, CrimsonGhost said:

Leads the league in walks.  Just an amazing eye and plate discipline? 

He also strikes out quite a bit. While there has to be some amount of discipline to take those walks, I'd say it's more on the pitchers not wanting to give up a homer because Joey is swinging for the fences nearly every time.

One good thing with Gallo walking so much is that he will steal the odd base. 

Last month 18/9/17/3 .264 1.095

Last two weeks 10/7/12/0 .282 1.261

Last week 6/5/9/0 .368 1.678

Interesting to see that his hot streak is going on at the same time mlb is cracking down on spider tack. Now that pitchers can’t cheat anymore we might finally get to see Gallo breakout. I don’t have the quote in front of me but on the Rangers broadcast a couple of weeks ago they mentioned that Gallo had a lot of trouble hitting high spin rate fastballs up in the zone. I know there’s a infograph for Schwarber showing the same thing wondering if anyone has it for Gallo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So is this 1st half 2019 form or an aberration that should be sold high? I suppose the rumor is true, that Joey was impacted by high spin fastballs.

https://www.mlb.com/news/joey-gallo-homers-twice-in-win-over-athletics

"I would say I'm hot. That's how baseball goes, right? You try to ride a hot streak as long as you can,” Gallo said. “People would talk to me and ask me, 'Hey, what's going on, you're not hitting home runs.' I'm like, 'I have a plan.'

“I went into this year knowing they're going to attack me a certain way, and pitch around me. So for me, I just kept adding walks when I could and tried to be patient when I could.”

"It's just been more consistently putting the ball forward,” Woodward said. “Like I've said many, many times -- when he does that, he's one of the best, if not the best hitter in baseball. He's not swinging and missing in the zone, he's making contact. He's dangerous.”

“I've been working really hard to hold my swing in, so I can hit balls like I did in my second at-bat, the other way and still hit a home run,” Gallo said. “That's really it. I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possible: Getting a pitch to hit and trying not to miss it. And if they throw a ball, I take my base.”

His skipper said that Gallo can connect for a hit against anybody, which has elevated his confidence but kept him humble, as well.

"Things are going my way. I felt good all year,” Gallo said. “Things have just worked out so far, so it's good to see.”

• Like 1

Definitely the 2019 version now it seems lol. If this Joey Gallo goes to a team like the Padres and bats in the middle of their lineup...scary. But I have a feeling, like previous years, now that good Joey is back, the Rangers will end up holding onto him and saying they didn't receive a good enough offer at the deadline. You'd think that with all the highs and lows of Gallo's career, they'd capitalize on a haul if they can get one, but the temptation to keep Joey as the clubhouse leader might be too much.

Gallo had 7 HRs on June 4th, since then he's hit 16 (including 2 today, 1 more than when I first started to post this update) and has been unreal in OBP leagues, where he is a top 10 player for the season. He's gotten himself up to 52 R, 23 HR, 50 RBI and 6 SBs on the year, and this is looking like a true breakout. No reason to think he can't blow past 40 HRs, and if teams keep pitching to him, this is one of the few guys that has a legitimate chance at 50. He's a little off the pace currently, but has shown in the past month how quickly he can put them up. Congrats if you bought low on him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is there any chance Gallo gets traded to a team that lets him play 1B? I have no clue how his 1B defense was. Suppose his OF defense is too good for that too happen but I want him to end up in SF lmao

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

That power from the left side in that stadium? Be still my heart.

As long as he can handle the pressure it should be scary. I'm afraid he might revert back to his old self trying to hit a dinger every AB.

*knocks on wood*

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, collucho said:

As long as he can handle the pressure it should be scary. I'm afraid he might revert back to his old self trying to hit a dinger every AB.

*knocks on wood*

Thats a good point, getting traded to the Yanks when they need a boost for the playoffs, lots of pressure there. Could go south as well if he cant handle it. 

• Like 1

He immediately took a huge leap forward after the sticky stuff enforcement. His defense is superb too. Very smart get by the Yanks.

It has to be costly, but I'd bet well worth it...plus next year too!

• Like 1