NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corbin owners RN 🙄    

I’m not listening to you Corbin truthers. I’m out. Good luck fellas. 

15 minutes ago, Gumbercules said:

So what's the deal with this guy?  How has he looked this spring training? Is he worth drafting?

Was thinking the same last night between drafting him or Paddack, I ended up taking Paddack but I’m rooting for both.  He has a wicked slider jus tho long he regains the velo on his fastball , heard some good reports so far 

• 3 weeks later...

This guy was rage dropped in my league.  I imagine he will be available in many leagues.  Not asking specifically for my team, but for everyone's sake:  is there anything here?  The basic,standard research shows  decreased velocity across all pitches and a blue stats cast page.   Anything to see here?  Can his velocity increase as strength builds up back to his sp2 levels of not so long ago?  How do guys just drop off the earth like this?   Could thursdsys start be vaccine related (strasburg got tattooed as well)?

This was my long winded way of asking.  Is there anything to indicate a possible rise to 2019 level?

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

This guy was rage dropped in my league.  I imagine he will be available in many leagues.  Not asking specifically for my team, but for everyone's sake:  is there anything here?  The basic,standard research shows  decreased velocity across all pitches and a blue stats cast page.   Anything to see here?  Can his velocity increase as strength builds up back to his sp2 levels of not so long ago?  How do guys just drop off the earth like this?   Could thursdsys start be vaccine related (strasburg got tattooed as well)?

This was my long winded way of asking.  Is there anything to indicate a possible rise to 2019 level?

It makes you really wonder if the vaccine had something to do with both Corbin and Strasburg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

He look really bad last night. Spring training stats plus last year stats was horrible. Its very possible he is on the decline as a pitcher which is unfortunate.

The question is if you pick him up will you even start him? Corbin is more of a heads to heads category pickup. Since if he doesnt produce you can drop it. Maybe he pitches well for stretches during the season, big if. In head to head you can take more risk since it's a week to week basis.

In roto it's hard to justify picking him up if he isnt start able

Edited by Miketrout009

Just saw on mlb that the solo hr he gave up in the first was off of a 92 mph sinker.   I know it's the first inning and he was probably sitting lower than 92.  But isn't his massive issue decreased velocity?   Isn't 92 where he was in 2019 and he was 89 last year?

Does anyone know where to find exit velocity on home runs?  A couple of those home runs last night off Corbin are probably lower 10 of average exit velocity on HRs. 

Still too early to bail. But definitely concerned.

5 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

No.  For the sake of your blood pressure and general health concerns stay far far away from this man.  I dropped him today and so do not face getting an ulcer anymore.

The guy was HORRIBLE last season too.  ALL of last year.  Showed nothing.  This isn't a sudden thing or "vaccine effects" or anything remotely like that.  He has legit lost velocity now for the second season in a row.  I'm with smeeze in hoping someone in my league burns up a wad of FAAB on this guy now.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

The issue at hand is more a question of fantasy strategy; following a disastrous outing like yesterday and his horrible performance last year, managers who drafted him need to move on for any possible alternative. It's too conservative to simply bench him and hope he turns him around, while that spot can be used for another player. Even in deep NL only leagues he may just do more harm than good (I put in a claim on John Gant for him in my 14 teamer, and I could have dropped Trevor Cahill instead). Sometimes you just have to cut a guy. 

In addition, I had tons of concerns about him, Strasburg, and to lesser extent Scherzer going into LAST year because of the extra innings they logged on their WS run. The fact that he performed horribly last year was no surprise, but this performance following an abbreviated 2020 season does not bode well. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

The issue at hand is more a question of fantasy strategy; following a disastrous outing like yesterday and his horrible performance last year, managers who drafted him need to move on for any possible alternative. It's too conservative to simply bench him and hope he turns him around, while that spot can be used for another player. Even in deep NL only leagues he may just do more harm than good (I put in a claim on John Gant for him in my 14 teamer, and I could have dropped Trevor Cahill instead). Sometimes you just have to cut a guy. 

I'd much rather hold onto Corbin than pick up Cahill or Gant. That seems nutty to me. I certainly think there's a level of pitcher that might be worth speculating on, but it's been 2 starts and those guys are waiver wire fodder in almost every league. I have liked Cahill at times, but he's never held it together.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position with Corey Kluber in AL only, and yes it feels nutty in a way, but when your team is in 2nd place on the strength of your Acuna-led offense, but your ERA/WHIP is already so bloated that you find yourself in next to last place in those categories, it doesn't feel like an overreaction. So it obviously depends on your situation, but most roto owners just won't be able to use him for weeks, and might be wiser to play matchups with a pitcher as unimpressive as Cahill. What happens if his next few outings he turns in a few 5 or 6 inning starts good enough to get him back in the lineup and then immediately gets bombed again?

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Easy hold and bench unless it's a shallow league.

Well, it’s kind of a painful hold. Lol! I think it’s easier to hold-and-bench in weekly leagues, where you start a set group of pitchers and likely won’t utilize all your SPs in a given week. It might feel more wasteful to have him in a daily league where you’d normally play all your SPs each week. I could be wrong, but I believe it’s easier to be patient with him in weeklies. 

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Easy hold and bench unless it's a shallow league.

I appreciate this. Had to go back and recheck my pre-auction rankings and price lists last night. I've been a fan of Corbin for awhile and was really, really hoping I'd landed some value in getting a repeat of '18/'19. 

What gives you confidence going forward?

13 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

I appreciate this. Had to go back and recheck my pre-auction rankings and price lists last night. I've been a fan of Corbin for awhile and was really, really hoping I'd landed some value in getting a repeat of '18/'19. 

What gives you confidence going forward?

His fastball Velo is pretty similar to 2018. The difference now is he's throwing more fastballs, where in 2018 he pitched more backwards. Used a curve ball, and trusted his slider more.

Seems like the primary concern is his slider is currently not as effective. So that is why he's throwing more fastballs and he's getting his tits lit up for it. He's a vet, he knows how to mask a little velo decline with more secondary offerings, but right now he doesn't seem to have a feel for them.

• Thanks 1

Can someone explain why velocity just drops like that some people like Corbin and then some people like Wade Davis get 2mph back ?  The obvious answer is injury,but he didn't have one (that we know about).  Serious question.

32 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Can someone explain why velocity just drops like that some people like Corbin and then some people like Wade Davis get 2mph back ?  The obvious answer is injury,but he didn't have one (that we know about).  Serious question.

Possibly mechanics....they could get "out of sync".  Something a good pitching coach could see maybe.  I know when Martin Perez came to the Twins a few years ago, they worked on something with his mechanics and he gained 2-3 mph on his fastball.  He still wasn't great, but he did throw harder.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Mechanics 100%

Corbin has a very long arm slot, especially for a lefty.  So his effectiveness is all about his slider.  So if the slider is having issues, for whatever reason AND his mechanics get out of whack it's not a simple solution.

The other thing is that when trying to fix mechanics your body ca break much easier as you might be over exerting the wrong muscles or shifting your weight too much and causing stress. 

When nothing is working where do you start to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1