NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Do we have game scepific info? I'd be curious what it was at in the 1st 2 games versus this last one.

I don't actually, but that game before where he gave up 10 ER I think it was seemed a little fluky. I thought the Nationals had gotten the covid shot and he pitched afterwards.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It makes you really wonder if the vaccine had something to do with both Corbin and Strasburg.

95 you say?

1 minute ago, cyberer said:

spacer.pngI screenshotted the velo chart and put a little bar over from his median 2019 velo

looks like yesterday was his first time at 2019 level velo since 2019

https://ibb.co/0XGKx4X

I know you can find his spin rate on baseball savant, but do they happen to do for each game? like if you can see a difference between starts and not his overall spin rate for the year?

21 minutes ago, cyberer said:

spacer.pngI screenshotted the velo chart and put a little bar over from his median 2019 velo

looks like yesterday was his first time at 2019 level velo since 2019

https://ibb.co/0XGKx4X

Not certain how accurate that is, but fantastic job.  The best fit looks like it might actually be a bit higher than 2019 median for his last start.  For his Arizona start, looks like the best fit would be right around 90.5 or so.  Even that is higher than last season.  Migjt be a complete fluke that he got hit so hard.  I think he was 1 strike away from getting through unscathed. I mean, 90.5 for a 2 pitch pitcher isn't fantastic.  I'm still skeptical,  but this seems like just as good of a dart throw as any.

3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Not certain how accurate that is, but fantastic job.  The best fit looks like it might actually be a bit higher than 2019 median for his last start.  For his Arizona start, looks like the best fit would be right around 90.5 or so.  Even that is higher than last season.  Migjt be a complete fluke that he got hit so hard.  I think he was 1 strike away from getting through unscathed. I mean, 90.5 for a 2 pitch pitcher isn't fantastic.  I'm still skeptical,  but this seems like just as good of a dart throw as any.

In a vacuum velocity is meaningless. People were using diminished volume in 2020-2021 to say he wasn’t right.

All I’m doing is pointing out that his velocity last night was essentially identical to what it was when he was a good/great pitcher in 2019 so that may mean hes approaching normalcy. 

3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Yeah he's not a huge gamble just to stick around and see what happens to the road. I still feel cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season. He had back to back 200 k seasons a few years ago, that's hard not to ignore. 

30 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I know you can find his spin rate on baseball savant, but do they happen to do for each game? like if you can see a difference between starts and not his overall spin rate for the year?

They don't have it anywhere on his page (that I know of). You can use the calendar at the top to go to individual games he pitched in, and then click on "Player Breakdown" and it has all the data for that game for each pitcher.

• Thanks 1

Gonna be a telling start with the velo.  Any reason to believe he'll be different than 2019 even if the velo approaches close to those levels?

Anyone starting today?

Just now, Cesare13 said:

Gonna be a telling start with the velo.  Any reason to believe he'll be different than 2019 even if the velo approaches close to those levels?

Anyone starting today?

not starting, but will be monitoring

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Anyone starting today?

I think the velo will be fine, it was fine last time already. I guess it's more spin on the slider and locating the fb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just going to write my thought on the first 2 innings while I have some time to watch.

1st inning- no velocity issues, first one was 88, 2nd 90, and hit 92 a bunch (2018/2019) he was averaging under 92. Had pretty bad command.  Fastball command sets up his slider.  I expect him to be better in the 2nd, as he settled down considerably last time after the first and facing a weaker part of the lineup.

2nd inning- Couple grounders and a CS after a bloop single. Had much less control  problems.  Don't think he got to 3 balls once.  This is kind of the key with him when watching. Trying to get some decent strikes throwing the fb and then set up his slider. 

See what happens rest of game, but I won't be watching. Seems like his command settled down.   I've owned Corbin a number of years and he has spouts where the lack of fastball command really just messes him up because nobody swings at the sliders if hes behind on the count on fastballs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Just going to write my thought on the first 2 innings while I have some time to watch.

1st inning- no velocity issues, first one was 88, 2nd 90, and hit 92 a bunch (2018/2019) he was averaging under 92. Had pretty bad command.  Fastball command sets up his slider.  I expect him to be better in the 2nd, as he settled down considerably last time after the first and facing a weaker part of the lineup.

2nd inning- Couple grounders and a CS after a bloop single. Had much less control  problems.  Don't think he got to 3 balls once.  This is kind of the key with him when watching. Trying to get some decent strikes throwing the fb and then set up his slider. 

See what happens rest of game, but I won't be watching. Seems like his command settled down.   I've owned Corbin a number of years and he has spouts where the lack of fastball command really just messes him up because nobody swings at the sliders if hes behind on the count on fastballs. 

Is anyone holding anymore?  What happened to the guy who threw 6 shutout innings last start?  He gets the Marlins next.  

1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

Is anyone holding anymore?  What happened to the guy who threw 6 shutout innings last start?  He gets the Marlins next.  

I’ll wait for a more detailed analysis than just the line personally.  The huge gripe on him was he lost 2mph of velocity and that’s all I kept hearing and reading about.  He seems to have regained his 2019 velocity, although like Brock alluded to, there’s more to it than that.  

17 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I’ll wait for a more detailed analysis than just the line personally.  The huge gripe on him was he lost 2mph of velocity and that’s all I kept hearing and reading about.  He seems to have regained his 2019 velocity, although like Brock alluded to, there’s more to it than that.  

I see you trying out here, brother, I really do. I just want to pose a philosophical question to you at this point-is this guy really worth the level of effort you're putting into him? I have to imagine there is something less torturous than this. I wish you and all the Corbin owners luck but I'm happy I got off this train awhile back, and still terrified that I have to keep him in my one NL only league (for the time being.)

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I see you trying out here, brother, I really do. I just want to pose a philosophical question to you at this point-is this guy really worth the level of effort you're putting into him? I have to imagine there is something less torturous than this. I wish you and all the Corbin owners luck but I'm happy I got off this train awhile back, and still terrified that I have to keep him in my one NL only league (for the time being.)

having played in NL Only leagues, seems crazy to drop him in an NL Only.

Command was off today, got destroyed by Alonso and Davis. It's April.  I get moving him in shallower leagues if you see something great on the waiver, but I feel fine sticking with him in my 16 teamer quite easily. He's a matchup play at the moment, and I'm likely throwing him out vs the Marlins.  Maybe instead of top 50, he's inching to top 70 now.  Do with that what you must. He's broken until he isn't.  The velo was fine, I saw him hit 93 a few times too.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

having played in NL Only leagues, seems crazy to drop him in an NL Only.

Command was off today, got destroyed by Alonso and Davis. It's April.  I get moving him in shallower leagues if you see something great on the waiver, but I feel fine sticking with him in my 16 teamer quite easily. He's a matchup play at the moment, and I'm likely throwing him out vs the Marlins.

It really is tough to ever drop a guy like this in NL only [...] but I don't want to start him and at a certain point, will have to consider options. [...] He's a reluctant hold and bench there and in deep 15+ teamers like you mentioned, but outside of that I can't see him deserving a spot in a very competitive 12-teamer. I'm trying to navigate the line between bench coach/baseball talk content here tony believe me! LOL I saw the edit comin' NBD.

Edited by Richard Kimble
Removed assistant coach content
3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

It really is tough to ever drop a guy like this in NL only [...] but I don't want to start him and at a certain point, will have to consider options. [...] He's a reluctant hold and bench there and in deep 15+ teamers like you mentioned, but outside of that I can't see him deserving a spot in a very competitive 12-teamer. 

[...] I still see him turning it around at some point honestly though.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

Fastball was 90-93 today, so the gains last start appear real. Battled control issues today. He’s a hold IMO.

I feel much better with him working through stuff now than I did when he was throwing 88

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw him hit 94 - I also saw him fail to hit his spots: inside to righties, upper part of zone and too many balls pounded into the ground.  His line could’ve been a lot worse.  I agree he still has time to rediscover his command, and that velo is no longer a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to start because Miami.  Control is still off. Got to think there's just a small tweak in there somewhere. He was hitting 94 multiple times, which would put his velocity up from 18-20.   Next up is @ NYY.  That's probably going to be a sit for me. If he shows any improvement in walks and some strikeouts in this game, that would be a good sign.

He’s clearly still a pitcher working through some control issues; but his velo is still good so he’s healthy and my thesis remains to ride the good and the bad while he figures it out. Though I will say it’s worth noting that if I’m not mistaken both of his good starts have been vs Miami. 

5 minutes ago, cyberer said:

He’s clearly still a pitcher working through some control issues; but his velo is still good so he’s healthy and my thesis remains to ride the good and the bad while he figures it out. Though I will say it’s worth noting that if I’m not mistaken both of his good starts have been vs Miami. 

No Jazz helps.  But he is figuring it out.