NBC Sports Edge Forums

Who is starting him at Yankee stadium Friday? 

who remembers the gem he threw there, one of the first games of his career 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corbin owners RN 🙄    

I’m not listening to you Corbin truthers. I’m out. Good luck fellas. 

5 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Who is starting him at Yankee stadium Friday? 

who remembers the gem he threw there, one of the first games of his career 

He's actually thrown two great games at Yankee stadium in his career, one in 2013 and one last year. 

On 5/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Overlord said:

He's actually thrown two great games at Yankee stadium in his career, one in 2013 and one last year. 

I meant the one in 2013 though 

39 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

3 dongs in a game is terrible, but all solo and 6 innings. A Quality start @ NYY with 0 bb. Take that as a pretty good start for a clear sit matchup.

He loves beating up the Yanks - and here I thought he grew up a Yanks fan!

Posted (edited)

He's turned it around somewhat but I'm finding it difficult to roster him at this point. He isn't really striking out anyone and his stuff honestly just looks whatever to me. I think if you need other players, it would be wise to move on from Corbin. For me, it's more name value that's keeping him around. Just the hope that he can put up those numbers he did a few years ago...but I'm just not seeing it. 

Anyone else care to rebuddle? Should I hold?

Edited by hangin n wangin
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

He's turned it around somewhat but I'm finding it difficult to roster him at this point. He isn't really striking out anyone and his stuff honestly just looks whatever to me. I think if you need other players, it would be wise to move on from Corbin. For me, it's more name value that's keeping him around. Just the hope that he can put up those numbers he did a few years ago...but I'm just not seeing it. 

*my answer migjt be league specific 

Just for perspective, I dropped him 3 weeks ago or so in a competitive 12 team roto with big rosters.  He hasn't been touched.  I personally think his name is actually keeping him DOWN.  Guys like him and Bumgartner became so untrendy to own that everyone had him ingrained in their head as "do not draft.....bust...regression..."

I don't trust him enough to start, so I let him go.  The  velocity is back, if the movement starts to look good I'll probably grab him for another look see.  Until that time comes, his numbers are so inflated and he seems so taboo to own that i can't see there being a rush to add him.  Good luck!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

*my answer migjt be league specific 

Just for perspective, I dropped him 3 weeks ago or so in a competitive 12 team roto with big rosters.  He hasn't been touched.  I personally think his name is actually keeping him DOWN.  Guys like him and Bumgartner became so untrendy to own that everyone had him ingrained in their head as "do not draft.....bust...regression..."

I don't trust him enough to start, so I let him go.  The  velocity is back, if the movement starts to look good I'll probably grab him for another look see.  Until that time comes, his numbers are so inflated and he seems so taboo to own that i can't see there being a rush to add him.  Good luck!

to add to this, same exact scenario for me.  I dropped him in a 12 team competitive league before his start vs the yankees and no one has touched him.  seems like everyone thinks he is cooked.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not here to refute, but I let him go weeks ago and no one in my league has picked him up since. The talk of his velocity being up is great and dandy, but we're still not seeing it being translated to stats that are useful to fantasy owners yet. He's still a guy I think you can have on your watch list and pounce if you feel things are actually turning around cause most people have likely forgotten about him now.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Guys like him and Bumgartner became so untrendy to own that everyone had him ingrained in their head as "do not draft.....bust...regression..."

And now Bumgarner is a must own in all leagues IMO

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

3 straight Qs, best start of the year. Who'd have thought? 🐸🍸

7 IP 5 hits, 0 bb 9l. 2nd straight start with no walks. One XBH double. No home runs.

Edited by brockpapersizer

The thesis had been the velocity meant to that the arm is sound and it was only a matter of working through mechanics. Now it sounds like he may have figured that out. 

kudos to all of us that were ahead of the curve and not waiting on results to match what the eye said

• Like 2

“I need to see his fastball looking like 2019 again,” as I shouted more demands. No, the pitch didn’t sit 91 mph – it sat 92.7 mph. That’s higher than any season average on his fastball. 

As I alluded to earlier, not only is his velocity back, but it's actually better.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

“I need to see his fastball looking like 2019 again,” as I shouted more demands. No, the pitch didn’t sit 91 mph – it sat 92.7 mph. That’s higher than any season average on his fastball. 

As I alluded to earlier, not only is his velocity back, but it's actually better.

This is why I come here.. for smart people to throw meaningful nuggets of data out there to get me excited to keep Corbin 

4 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

This is why I come here.. for smart people to throw meaningful nuggets of data out there to get me excited to keep Corbin 

Not sure if that's entirely true according to what fangraphs says. But it is encouraging nonetheless that his fastball velocity was up last start pretty close to what it used to be.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/patrick-corbin/9323/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1,2&split=base&time=daily&start=2015&end=2021&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=SL,FA&ymin=68.9321&ymax=96.5287

This graph takes you all the way back to 2015.

38 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not sure if that's entirely true according to what fangraphs says. But it is encouraging nonetheless that his fastball velocity was up last start pretty close to what it used to be.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/patrick-corbin/9323/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1,2&split=base&time=daily&start=2015&end=2021&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=SL,FA&ymin=68.9321&ymax=96.5287

This graph takes you all the way back to 2015.

Use statcast. It tells the story. At the beginning of the year Corbin was averaging 90.6 on the sinker. 
he averaged 93 in the last start.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's back alright, somehow gave up just 4 ER on 11 hits/2BB with 3ks against the Orioles. Lucky for him he was pitching against Matt Harvey because he got a win. After the game, Corbin's ERA/WHIP of 6.13/1.55 is barely better than Harvey's 6.31/1.58. Its been quite noticeable across MLB which pitchers are getting managed in their innings, and yet Washington is so thin in the rotation even with Strasburg back that they will ride Corbin and Scherzer a lot. Rightfully so with the money they earn. This is not good for Corbin, b/c he is going to get left out in games when he is gassed and surrender more hits, walks and runs than he would normally.

I see a guy who is being given more credit for the pitcher he was 2 years ago than than the pitcher he is now. His floor is going to hurt badly in roto leagues, so if you can find a way to divorce yourself from the notion that he was a good back end draft pick, you might save some heartache. He's not going to turn it around the way Kluber is, and Washington is a surprisingly bad team this year.

I strongly stated once before that managers need to be far more aggressive with a player like this in redrafts than to continue excusing their performances. If he bounces back in his next start against the Brewers, I really would advise trying to find a replacement. Bold decisions can win leagues, and as Carmela Soprano would say, "More is lost by indecision than wrong decision."

Posted (edited)

For those of us that picked him up or bought low after the early season debacles, He’s been a serviceable pitcher since then. His season stats that you cite are heavily biased by his 16 ER the first 2 times out.

He’s pitching fine. Not ace level but he’s chugging along, not killing me, and getting me wins. If you need him to be an ace I guess that’s different. 

Edited by cyberer