NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Garcia 2021 Outlook

First of all, there are a lot of Luis Garcia’s listed in the ol ESPN fantasy baseball database, but we are talking about the possible #5 starter for the Astros to open the season.

I’ve been doing some deep diving today and he seems pretty interesting to me, I was hoping maybe some other have additional info or optimism. 

Limited time in the minors, but the numbers were very nice. Low ERA and high K numbers. He came up for the end of last season out the bullpen, and even pitched in game 5 of the playoffs.

I know he is currently only projected to fill in for Ordorizzi for the moment, if he gets the nod over Bielak, but they have some other injuries too with Framber.. so like most I think he he performs well he can find his way into a spot. 

It has been an underrated and fast rise for Garcia. Jumped all the way from A ball in 2019 to the alt site and eventually bigs last year (2 scoreless IP in ALCS)...

In 2019 at 2 A ball levels he went 108+ IP with a 2.98 ERA and 168 Ks (.172 BAA). So missing bats has always been apart of his profile.

The FA has continued to tick up and now touches upper 90s. His CH is plus and holds lefties at bay. Improving SL. Command/control still needs to be polished though.

Def one to watch this year, even if he currently projects to pitch more in multi inning bullpen role as other SPs in HOU gain health.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looking pretty good so far and figures to get more innings with the Odorizzi injury.  Anyone have any speculation on his innings total this year?

He was pitching well today--5IP 6K 3H 6K 1ER--but was pulled at 73 pitches.

Are they just building up arm strength or is he going to be around ~80 pitches every start?

His outing today was overshadowed by the call-up of the kid in TB and the fact that Kent Emanuel threw 8.2 innings in his outing 6 days prior, so it seemed a possible piggyback situation coming in. I expected Garcia to go only 5-6, but there's no reason the Astros should baby his pitch count going forward. It's hard to be optimistic he'll stick, as the news on Odorizzi was not the season-ending variety, and although he rates to be out for months, Valdez is also about a month or so away and currently "ahead of schedule." Still, starters in this Houston rotation are good sources of fantasy value, and Garcia should be productive. I just expect him to head back to middle relief before long, but I think he's clearly worth a pickup for now. I found myself in a strange situation when I went to pick him up about a week ago in one of my H2H leagues and he wasn't there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on whether he will it will be a 1 start or 2 start week for him?

Conflicting reports on different sites.  It's all dependent on when Odorizzi comes back up.  

12 minutes ago, burty1 said:

Any word on whether he will it will be a 1 start or 2 start week for him?

Conflicting reports on different sites.  It's all dependent on when Odorizzi comes back up.  

It's a situation that will be hard to know for sure and one that might change mid week. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, brockpapersizer said:

It's a situation that will be hard to know for sure and one that might change mid week. 

Looks like stars aligning for 2 starts unless they throw Odorizzi right in there late next week

Edited by rotoguy74

20 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Looks like stars aligning for 2 starts unless they throw Odorizzi right in there late next week

last i saw on twitter is that Odorizzi will throw another bullpen in the coming days and at least 1 rehab this coming weekend....not set in stone, but that's the latest update I saw. best to look at what their beat writers have to say on twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Don't look now but he's reeled off 3 straight Wins, finally completing a QS last night in LA and outdueling Trevor Bauer in the process. Season numbers are now an impressive 2.93/1.02 with 54ks in 46 innings. He's been rewarded with a stay of execution and gets to face Boston next time, a real test. With word that Odorizzi and Urquidy are due back soon, the Astros opted to put Javier in the bullpen to manage his innings.

McCullers is on IL now with a shoulder issue, so his return is up in the air. Garcia seems like he's on a constant 2 week pass to stay in the rotation. I really don't know what to expect from Odorizzi, as he is the X factor, but I would monitor him and Urquidy to gauge whether Garcia will be able to keep him role. Realistically if one of the two pitch decently, and Mccullers is able to return, you have to think Garcia will be headed for the bullpen as a long relief/piggyback option for Dusty at that point. However, perhaps they are going to make the move with Javier instead to really limit his innings. Still, I think Garcia is the odd man out, but he's been fantastic for owners, so it might just be best to hang on for the ride. But, after beating the Dodgers, people have begun to take notice, so if he has any trade value for a small upgrade, now is probably the time. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Don't look now but he's reeled off 3 straight Wins, finally completing a QS last night in LA and outdueling Trevor Bauer in the process. Season numbers are now an impressive 2.93/1.02 with 54ks in 46 innings. He's been rewarded with a stay of execution and gets to face Boston next time, a real test. With word that Odorizzi and Urquidy are due back soon, the Astros opted to put Javier in the bullpen to manage his innings.

McCullers is on IL now with a shoulder issue, so his return is up in the air. Garcia seems like he's on a constant 2 week pass to stay in the rotation. I really don't know what to expect from Odorizzi, as he is the X factor, but I would monitor him and Urquidy to gauge whether Garcia will be able to keep him role. Realistically if one of the two pitch decently, and Mccullers is able to return, you have to think Garcia will be headed for the bullpen as a long relief/piggyback option for Dusty at that point. However, perhaps they are going to make the move with Javier instead to really limit his innings. Still, I think Garcia is the odd man out, but he's been fantastic for owners, so it might just be best to hang on for the ride. But, after beating the Dodgers, people have begun to take notice, so if he has any trade value for a small upgrade, now is probably the time. 

Holy cow - totally off my radar!  BUT... look at those minor league & major league numbers.........

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jctexan said:

I expect Garcia to be moved to the bullpen once McCullers and Urquidy return. I'm actually surprised he's not being to the bullpen now instead of Javier.  

It makes sense when you think about it, Javier is a younger more prized prospect that they want to protect for next year. Garcia looks like a guy with a rubber arm, frankly, someone who I think could be a very reliable 4 or 5 starter, innings eater type if he were on a different team.

If you really want to be confused just google "luis garcia pitcher" and you'll get information on the former NY Yankee with the same name, and I swear his profile picture is a face melt between him and one of the other Luis Garcia's. It reminds me of the old "If They Mated" segments from Conan, except it's a pic of Luis Garcia's offspring if it came from...Luis Garcia and Luis Garcia. 😵 (Sidebar-whoever created those segments was ahead of their time, as they are essentially the stupid Snapchat filters that people are obsessed with now.)

Keeps getting better every outing, tonight he goes 7 innings against the Red Sox with 1 ER and 6ks. Should be in line for his 4th straight win barring a meltdown by the Astros pen with a 5-1 lead. Houston has a good problem to have on their hands here.

• Like 2

Just now, Richard Kimble said:

Keeps getting better every outing, tonight he goes 7 innings against the Red Sox with 1 ER and 6ks. Should be in line for his 4th straight win barring a meltdown by the Astros pen with a 5-1 lead. Houston has a good problem to have on their hands here.

back to back 6 nd 7 inning outings against the dodgers and sox....those are no joke.  this guy aint going anywhere unless its an inning limit thing

Exactly! This guy needs some attention! He's beating quality offenses, putting up great numbers and NO ONE is talking about it.

13 posts on this thread since May 8th?

There should legitimately be some serious chatter on this guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

back to back 6 nd 7 inning outings against the dodgers and sox....those are no joke.  this guy aint going anywhere unless its an inning limit thing

I know...does anyone else have him in a league like I do where they picked him up as a streamer, dropped him, picked him up again a few days later and felt like they just dodged a bullet that no one else took notice? He's no streamer now lol

• Like 1

I picked him up to hold down a spot when Puk got hurt in my 12 team AL only league . He had a good matchup coming up (forget who it was) and I planned to drop him if the going got rough.

He's been nothing but lights out since then.

I have no intention of dropping him short of a catastrophic regression or a demotion to the pen.

Posted (edited)

Another gem ...

Last 3 starts and opponents:

DATE   OPP    IP    H   ER   BB    K    HR    D      ERA     WHIP

6/6
W
6/1
Bos
   W
5/26
LAD
W

Has only given up 3 ER's in 2 games this season (against Yankees and Angel's w/ Trout) and still K'd 15 in those 10 combined innings...

Hasn't given up more than 3 all year...

Don't know what more this guy has to do before people start to believe.

astros-luis-garcia-pitches-immaculate-inning.jpg

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Wieties said:

Don't know what more this guy has to do before people start to believe.

Who cares what other people think?  He's good and had 3 great starts in really tough matchups. He's a must start in any situation right now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Who cares what other people think?  He's good and had 3 great starts in really tough matchups. He's a must start in any situation right now.

Beast mode GIF on GIFER - by Shador