NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2021 Outlook

I had to look a few times to see there was no threads on him yet at Mar 29.

I can understand people's reluctance to buy in if it's the "old Stanton cost" which used to be 45-50, then 30 something.  Now it has fallen to 15 avg cost at auction. (or equivalent in drafts).  He's injury prone sure but at that price, I think he's too cheap to pass up.  The upside is just too high.  He's going to be the every day DH pretty much now.

The risk-reward profile is insane right now.

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Agreed. Dude has massive upside in a hitters park, with a good lineup around him. I can’t remember who said it but some have speculated he could get time playing First base? 

I simply can not fathom Stanton at 1B.  Let's visualize Stanton stretching for a short hop in the dirt ... okay now open your eyes ... what do you see?

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

I simply can not fathom Stanton at 1B.  Let's visualize Stanton stretching for a short hop in the dirt ... okay now open your eyes ... what do you see?

Andy Bernard doing splits.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Agree with OP with a little less enthusiasm here. Could have kept him twice at $16. Tossed him back, thought he would go for around that. So when he comes up I hit a real soft spot in the draft and start "price enforcing" (apparently on myself) and get him for $11. What's not to like? Dang. Plus he's OF in Y! All systems go - for at least the first PA.

37 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I am always in on Stanton at a discount. He will be on a ton of winning redraft teams if he stays healthy.  Nobody remember he was probably the best slugger of the playoffs besides Randy Arozorena? 

Stanton hit 6 homers in 7 playoff games in 2020. Dude was dialed in.

Healthy Stanton has demonstrated he's kind of in his own tier as a power hitter.

It's those "HEALTHY"/"IF NOT INJURED" caveats that make him such a f***ing ulcer to invest in heavily, and I know cause I have the ulcers to prove it!

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Giancarlo is truly sucking so far; the 11 RBI  are his only contribution that even qualify as decent.  April is typically his worst month - his career April OPS is .813, vs. an overall career OPS of .902. Sadly his OPS this year so far is .575 so he isn't even approaching his usual floor just yet.  To anybody that's been watching Yankees games regularly- does he look terrible at the plate, ala Gary Sanchez of the last few years, or does he just need some good ol fashioned regression to the mean?

I watched 3 of his ABs today. 3 separate times he took the 2nd strike of the ab center cut, twice a fastball, and the third time was a breaking ball right down the middle, and all 3 times he chased a ball swinging for the 3rd strike the very next pitch.

Whatever the opposite of "locked in" is, that's Stanton right now.

Im a Yankee fan and Stanton owner but right now he is swinging at garbage, nothing he swings at is not remotely close to the plate. The K vs Stickland last night he missed the pitch by 8 inches at a minimum. He may need glasses b/c he is not seeing the ball

1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

I wonder if being a full time DH messes him up, just sitting on the bench waiting instead of taking the field 

Why just pick on Stanton?  Judge, Torres, Frazier, Hicks, all look like garbage as well.  Bruce and Odor...suck.  The entire team is basically not hitting much of anything outside of DJ.  That is what happens when everyone is trying to hit 500 ft homers every AB.  The entire team is just stinking up the joint right now.  Pitching is lousy outside of Cole.  Defense generally atrocious.  Obviously they are not this bad but they better get their head out of their backside soon or they will end up in such a hole they will not be able to get out of it.  As to Stanton, he has always been streaky.  A guess hitter with a ridiculous closed stance. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Giancarlo is starting to heat up. 6 game hit streak with 3 HR and 3 multi-hit games. Praying he stays healthy

And one of his outs yesterday was a 119.4mph screamer right at 3B, with an xBA of .640 .

He's always going to be a massive injury risk, obviously, but that's baked into his price. Might be worth putting out feelers if his owners aren't paying close attention.

He apparently might get some OF starts too, which would help him with OF eligibility but of course increase the injury risk. Here is to hoping he does the bare minimum number of games to gain OF eligibility. 

19 hours ago, Ace_King said:

He apparently might get some OF starts too, which would help him with OF eligibility but of course increase the injury risk. Here is to hoping he does the bare minimum number of games to gain OF eligibility. 

I doubt the Yanks go that far.  Sort of asking for trouble.  Besides as long as they have their favorite man crush in Gardner healthy, you can bet he will be out their every day even if he is hitting at the Mendoza line.  The Yanks have Hicks, Torres, Sanchez, Frazier, Ford and Odor not hitting to varying degrees.  It really does not matter who their DH\OF is in that respect.  Stanton is a notoriously streaky hitter so messing with a hot streak to get some OF starts just is not worth it imo.  It is not like they are short one guy and need to get a lame bat out of the lineup...they have way too many guys with sub 200 averages and Stanton playing the OF would just move one of those crummy bats to DH.

As we approach May, The Yanks look like a 500 at best team with no starting pitching beyond Cole, an offense that basically stinks and has issues scoring if they don't hit homers and some shoddy defense, esp at SS, C and in the OF at times.  About all they have going right now beyond Cole is a good bullpen, which is likely to collapse from over use sometime in late June or early July at the current rate imo as you can;t keep using the pen 5 IPs+ almost every night.  Putting Stanton in the OF is not going to help any of that.  The guys not getting the job done need to start doing that job.

• Like 2