NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anyone else streaming him against the Pirates in game #2 and then dropping him? Lol 

Don’t have much hope for him this season but could be a decent steam when he plays the Pirates. I mean, how bad can it be 

I bungled SPs at my auction and Arrieta is going to get a long look from me thanks to his pretty good Spring Training.  The "changed the angle on his curveball" stuff is just the kind of meaningless tidbit of info I need to give him me hope that he won't suck again.  At least I know he'll try hard to give me innings for a QS every time out, which is more than most of the waiver wire scrapheap pitchers.  

You never know when an aging pitcher will give you one last throwback season.  While the incredible performance enhancement we saw from Jake between 2012ish and 2015ish ain't happening again, the bar is so low for an SP to be useful at this point I'm giving it a try.  

I'm also trying him and hoping for a resurgence. I'm anticipating innings will be hard to come by this year and some of these older guys will be given a bit more leash, so he could be very valuable if the Cubs are able to unlock something and make him productive again. Mind you, I'm not holding my breath, but he's an easy drop if he gets torched early on.

25 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I'm anticipating innings will be hard to come by this year ...

I totally did not expect, in a fifteen team league, for 10-13 of the owners to build 8-10 SP rotations with the expectation that nobody is topping 150ish innings this year.  LIVE OFF THE WAIVER WIRE JUNKPILE LIKE I DO, GODDAMMIT!!!

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Anyone rolling with Jakey boy today vs. NYM? I keep sitting but he seems to be quietly producing so far with 2/3 starts ending in a QS.

Im rolling with him....hes been decent enough as an injury replacement......would love to see him get hot and have a throwback season.  

Solid outing today. The Ks were a surprise. I’m not great with the advanced metrics, but could someone chime in and shed some light as to if his advanced metrics are showing he’s performing above his head or do the numbers suggest this is sustainable?

20 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Solid outing today. The Ks were a surprise. I’m not great with the advanced metrics, but could someone chime in and shed some light as to if his advanced metrics are showing he’s performing above his head or do the numbers suggest this is sustainable?

Most of his advanced metrics are extremely worrisome: if you managed a good start against the listless Brewers offense, on a day when the wind was fiercely blowing in at Wrigley, I’d consider it a win and pivot immediately.

Edited by BMcP

His success has come in 3 starts vs two struggling offenses and a couple vs a middling Brewers squad, under favorable conditions.  

I’d like to believe he’s got “it” back, but he would need to show us something against a better offense before getting excited.  

Every game his xFIP and SIERA debt grows larger.

I mean, maybe he's found a way to beat the underlying metrics, but you normally only see that in small, reliever-sized sample sizes.  What usually happens is at some point performance stabilizes to the "true" expected results.  That usually isn't pretty.

Edited by Overlord
  • 2 weeks later...

Sent to the DL today with a "thumb abrasion" following a rough weekend outing in CIN. If you rode him in the first month he gave you 3 Ws, 4.31 ERA/1.31 WHIP and a little less than 9 k/9, so be happy he helped the counting stats and try to find another option from here. If you can DL him, fine, but in no way would I activate him for his first start and expect its mostly downhill from here. Will always appreciate Jake for the contributions he made to the Cubs, but his years of usefulness in fantasy are behind him, and he's a fringey matchup play at best ROS.

• Like 1