NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2021 Outlook

Arenado gone, Desmond gone, Brendan Rodgers hurt. Path to everyday playing time. Good post hype sleeper with speed at multiple positions.

Edited by Evincar
  • Like 1
  • Evincar changed the title to Garrett Hampson 2021 Outlook
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me 8 times in the past 3 years, you're Garrett Hampson. 

He's getting benched tomorrow for sure

Posted Images

I'm on board and ready to get burned again. I saw he homered off Paddack. He's probably going later in drafts than Andres Giminez, but what category exactly does Hampson have less upside in? Chances are he won't pop again, but I think he's worth a stab. I still like the upside here.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Overlord said:

All I know is that somehow Bud Black will find a way to have Pat Valaika block Hampson's playing time. 

Chris Owings szn will not be stopped 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Neither is Hilliard.  It's the Owings and Fuentes show with McMahon today and Hampson and Hilliard rotating in when someone goes cold?

Or maybe just riding Owings hot hand (spring + opening day).

Career wRC+: Chris Owings 69, Garrett Hampson 68

They're basically the same player, replacement-level utility guys with some fantasy upside because they steal bases and play for the Rockies.

• Like 2
Just now, South Jersey Bombers said:

I hate the Rockies. Hampson needs to get away like Dahl did. 

It's not untrue, but I still believe talent prevails.  If Hampson can't beat out Owings and Fuentes as a hitter, than do we want to own him?  Even as a Hampson fan, I'd have to say no. And as sad as it sounds, an additional injury to a starter obviously spikes his value too.

• Like 2
On 4/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, brockpapersizer said:

It's not untrue, but I still believe talent prevails.  If Hampson can't beat out Owings and Fuentes as a hitter, than do we want to own him?  Even as a Hampson fan, I'd have to say no. And as sad as it sounds, an additional injury to a starter obviously spikes his value too.

Yeah, I think fantasy people hate on the rockies too much.  Every guy with a bit of power and speed could be fantasy gold with full PT playing in Coors. And we want our fantasy gold.  But it doesn't follow that the Rockies are always stupid for bringing in veteran bats or not treating a dude like Hampson as if he were the next Bonds.

• Like 1
Just now, Gamecubesupreme said:

He's getting benched tomorrow for sure

They were surely planning it, but Owings’s injury may not allow them to.

The key for him is always keeping the K's down and getting on base. Last season his K rate was an abysmal 33% with a 7 % Walk rate. So far this season (Before last nights game) the K rate is 15% and the Walk rate is 10%. Small sample size obviously but its possible the light bulb has gone on for him. If he can keep that K rate below 25% and sustain the Walk rate, he could easily steal 40 bags with regular playing time.