NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dustin May 2021 Outlook

Surprised to see no thread.

Gingergaard is a beast and is now locked and loaded in the rotation.

I’m shocked he beat out price and his $$ but I can see Roberts being an old school player manager who didn’t like price and his opt out winning out over guys who were there last year.

Normal 5th starter caveats apply but I think Mays ceiling is super high. Especially if he gets bumped up to 4th due to injury or whatever.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Dustin May 2021 Outlook

He might be a bit of a headache, shuffling between rotation and other roles during the year.

I have always liked him, the stuff is awesome and I like his mound demeanor, etc. His total repertoire does leave something to be desired though. He is basically all hard stuff, which he throws a whopping 80% or so of the time (his FA and cutter). He needs the curve much more, or the CH to take a huge step forward:

image.png.a641ddcbf2a2c359c3e0261f5d6c9145.png

The CU does at least show very promising spin rates, K rates are still rather meh for the stuff he operates with...still only 23 with massive growth potential:

image.png.d9c8c03357d29a5e214b75dbdbe5d244.png

• Like 2

Don't expect 30+ starts but the starts he gives you should be well worth the price. A beat writer projected all 7 candidates to have at least 10 starts this season.

5 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Nothing's wrong with him right? just did a mock draft and he faded deep.  Maybe they just didn't realize he got the 5th spot?

Nothing wrong, just don't expect him to stay in that spot all year. Id be surprised if they let him go much over 100 innings.

21 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Id be surprised if they let him go much over 100 innings.

100 may be too conservative, but not a number worth dissing. The important takeaway here is if you took a chance on him and you're getting 100 innings, let's get many of them in April and May so we aren't carrying a pine rider for too long right out the gate. Huge win on that note.

Looked great last night, the A's are struggling on offense so far this year though.  Like most guys, control will be the key. If he can keep the walks down, and last in to the 5th or 6th inning.

Will also be interesting to see how many innings they let him pitch this year.

• Like 1

His manager was impressed:
“It was fun to watch. It really was,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. “I think Dustin, there’s a lot of low hanging fruit and a lot of opportunity for him to get even better. … To see him get through six innings was really good to see.”

“It’s progress and I think he’s really starting to understand what his potential could be and to get Major League hitters out and to get those swings and misses,” Roberts said. “He’s a guy that pitches at the bottom of the zone, but for him to have the ability to pitch at the top if needs to, is really important.”

And after a dominant outing, May has been rewarded by having his start on Sunday pushed back in favor of keeping Kershaw on regular rest. Gotta think Kershaw must have lobbied for this. Guess we can expect the Dodgers to keep messing with May's turns in the rotation all year.

27 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

And after a dominant outing, May has been rewarded by having his start on Sunday pushed back in favor of keeping Kershaw on regular rest. Gotta think Kershaw must have lobbied for this. Guess we can expect the Dodgers to keep messing with May's turns in the rotation all year.

I guarantee this didn't happen. This is innings management, which we all knew was going to be a widespread issue in 2021.

• 3 weeks later...

He’s pitching like an ace. The bullpen yesterday made me want to smash my phone off the ground and force my league to switch to quality starts, but he’s still pitching like an ace.

Couple that with David price pitching like a shell of his former self and I applaud the Dodgers for letting their young talent shine instead of playing an old retread just because he has a fat contract. Bullish on May ROS 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

He’s pitching like an ace. The bullpen yesterday made me want to smash my phone off the ground and force my league to switch to quality starts, but he’s still pitching like an ace.

Couple that with David price pitching like a shell of his former self and I applaud the Dodgers for letting their young talent shine instead of playing an old retread just because he has a fat contract. Bullish on May ROS 

He is pitching well, he is NOT pitching like an Ace.  Aces go longer than an average of 5+ IP's and that absolutely is even more so a direct linkage to his overall usage.  

35 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He is pitching well, he is NOT pitching like an Ace.  Aces go longer than an average of 5+ IP's and that absolutely is even more so a direct linkage to his overall usage.  

Ok boomer. Guys don’t go 7+ with regularity anymore unless they’re degrom. To see mays season so far as anything other than the emergency of an SP1-2 is missing the point or deliberately hating imo 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Ok boomer. Guys don’t go 7+ with regularity anymore unless they’re degrom. To see mays season so far as anything other than the emergency of an SP1-2 is missing the point or deliberately hating imo 

Once would be nice.

Edited by Hanghow

17 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I actually think May migjt go 6,7 a few times....just do the Dodgers "10 day DL thing " to get his innings cut rather than shorter starts each time..   An additional benefit from being a dodger.

Edited by Cesare13

49 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I'm not remotely hating - he's had a very nice start to the season (and I wanted him on my team).  If you wish to call him an "ace" (where there are legit less than a few) after 21 innings this season, go for it!

Edited by IlliniGuy76

I don't have any shares of this guy, but after watching him pitch a few times the previous two seasons his K rate/swinging strike rate in the bigs before this year made no sense to me. Guy is just filthy with the amount of movement he gets while throwing close to 100. Granted now everyone has insane K-rates this year, but this is more of what I'd expect to see from him. 

3 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I'm not remotely hating - he's had a very nice start to the season (and I wanted him on my team).  If you wish to call him an "ace" (where there are legit less than a few) after 21 innings this season, go for it!

I generally agree with your point. Would you bite on "he's pitching like an ace in the making?" Also, it's worth noting he did throw six full innings yesterday. Not trying to pick your point apart, but to find out how much common ground there is on his outlook. Do you see his ceiling as an SP2 or SP1? I think there is a very good chance he comes on this year and we are debating which of the two he is at season's end, but of course I'm a bit biased being an owner.

One thing I really notice about May, kid likes to keep things going. Youtube TV skips ahead 13-15 seconds per click (or tookah for you Tivo fans). I was barely able to see each pitch skipping once as soon as the ball passed the plate. Musgrove? What a sloth. I would skip twice and wait 5-15 seconds... routinely well over 30 seconds between pitches and May held right at 15 from pitch to pitch, not from when he got the ball back. Makes it even easier to root for him.

Edited by rando
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am loving his outings.  Not looking forward to the inevitable LAD shenanigans which result in skipping starts to preserve him for postseason play.  Have the Dodgers come out and said how many innings they are targetting for May this season? 

Posted (edited)

MAYDAY for May today, on the first day of May... threw a pitch in 2'nd INN, winced, and immediately called for trainer.  Pure speculation, but looked to be oblique or arm to me... he was tilted w/ his right arm hanging lower than left shoulder... no bueno.

Definitely something on his right side of some sort...

Edited by LarryChip10