• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How can this happen on May Day?

Now you don’t have to worry!

I generally agree with your point. Would you bite on "he's pitching like an ace in the making?" Also, it's worth noting he did throw six full innings yesterday. Not trying to pick your point apart, bu

Posted Images

I really wish there was more of an update.  Even though I'm an extreme pessimist and have no allusions that he will pitch again this year,  I'm holding on until I actually see something more concrete.  The only thing worse than having one of your fantasy gems get TJ is you dropping them and seeing "will pitch through it and get surgery later"  a few hours later.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I really wish there was more of an update.  Even though I'm an extreme pessimist and have no allusions that he will pitch again this year,  I'm holding on until I actually see something more concrete.  The only thing worse than having one of your fantasy gems get TJ is you dropping them and seeing "will pitch through it and get surgery later"  a few hours later.  

Agreed.  Might as well at least take the time to research the replacement well, if nothing else, rather than making a move out of anxiety and dread about the injury.

1 hour ago, Big Tuna said:

awful news - crushing for those that have him in keeper/dynasty - likely gone most of next season as well

That's the real killer. Not only does it hurt teams this year. It pretty much removes him as a viable keeper. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Crazy to think the next time Dustin May will be relevant again will be in 2023. Jeez, and he was looking so good too

I hate the all out effort expected on every single pitch crap we have these days.  Promising young pitchers are just dropping like flies in this "stats dictate all and screw the health and careers of young pitchers" era.

I wonder if the reason why deGrom has survived (knock on wood) for so long was because in his younger years he played short instead.  Less mileage plus less stress during the growth stage as well.

I didn't own any shares of May but man he was a good looking young pitcher and I'm sad to see this happen to him.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I hate the all out effort expected on every single pitch crap we have these days. 

I mean, if you go up there trying to throw junk then the jacked-to-the-gills middle infielders are going to be taking you 400+ feet deep while the actual sluggers will be putting it in the upper deck.  You'll be back in the minors in no time or you won't make the majors at all.

The game has changed due to the physical abilities of the players far outstripping those of decades past.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I hate the all out effort expected on every single pitch crap we have these days.  Promising young pitchers are just dropping like flies in this "stats dictate all and screw the health and careers of young pitchers" era.

I wonder if the reason why deGrom has survived (knock on wood) for so long was because in his younger years he played short instead.  Less mileage plus less stress during the growth stage as well.

I didn't own any shares of May but man he was a good looking young pitcher and I'm sad to see this happen to him.

It's worth pointing out, I think, that deGrom has had TJS. May will still have time to put together a good career, if his recovery goes well.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The other side of that is that he didn't debut until he was 26.  Would he have been better off coming up at 22, pitching for a year and a half, getting hurt, missing a year, then coming back at 26 anyway?

I mean, look at Felix Hernandez.  Came up at 19 and was a horse for like 10.5 years, then was completely washed at age 31.

See you in 2023 Dustin! Unfortunately this is going to be more of the norm now that nearly every pitcher is trying get max velocity possible with max effort.

In the past pitchers especially starters would throw around 80% effort and focus on control most of the time, then ramp it up when they needed it most. This consistently throwing 99-100mph is a death sentence for any starting pitcher. No surprise at all that a slim lanky guy like May's body couldn't hold up to it.

Wonder how many more blown out elbows and shoulders it's going to take before we see a change in philisophy back to the way things were. 93-94mph with control is far better for preserving a pitchers long-term health. Velocity isn't always king, people need to realise that again!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Amen. At least some people are thinking the same. Time for Front Offices and coaches to do the same.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Amen. At least some people are thinking the same. Time for Front Offices and coaches to do the same.

Ive been beating this drum for years. Theres too many pitchers in each teams bullpen which allows starters to go max out and not worry about going deep in games. May could have easily thrown with less than 100% effort and easily got people out just as well, if not better. Now its entirely possible he would have damaged the UCL anyway but I still feel theres something to this.

Edited by RoadApple

Are there some sports medical journals or scholarly articles with empirical data on how pitchers can get guys out with equal effectiveness by not "maxing out" their velocity?

I would think it would be an easier sell if you could show them scientifically they aren't sacrificing immediate performance for long term health.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Are there some sports medical journals or scholarly articles with empirical data on how pitchers can get guys out with equal effectiveness by not "maxing out" their velocity?

I would think it would be an easier sell if you could show them scientifically they aren't sacrificing immediate performance for long term health.

These guys are put in a position to fight for their rotation spots, fight to keep them, and then fight for contracts.   Until that is somehow changed, these arm blowouts (and doping in some cases) will continue.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Cesare13 said:

These guys are put in a position to fight for their rotation spots, fight to keep them, and then fight for contracts.   Until that is somehow changed, these arm blowouts (and doping in some cases) will continue.

I would tend to agree.

It's going to be rare you're going to convince an early 20s kid he needs to sacrifice the potential of making money now in order to make more money when he's in his 30s.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I’m pretty sure the bigger issue is the increasing use of off speed stuff in younger arms. But I could be mistaken and the larger point is the same as what you all said

Edited by cyberer

More like you're not going to convince teams to have a young guy dial back his velocity so that he'll still be good when he's under contract later with another team.

• Like 1