NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tony Gonsolin 2021 Outlook

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every offering is down at least 1 full tick from last year (except infrequent Curve)... But as long as the shoulder stuff is in the rear-view, then he should be quite effective moving forward, la

yea but it didnt last long enough to be considered a quality relationship

Dodgers' Tony Gonsolin: Efficient in first rehab start Gonsolin (shoulder) tossed three scoreless frames in his rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City. He gave up one hit (a double) and st

Posted Images

I considered dropping for guys like Smyly & Logan Webb but I think I'm going to hold. I don't think Dustin May gets too much lease (though, yes, he could just run away with it) and I wonder if Gonsolin gets second dibs at the rotation spot since Price didn't pitch at all last year. Worse case scenario, he's very valuable in the RP spot in deeper leagues where he can give you 3-4 solid innings per week in addition to the occasional spot start.

Edit: He might even regularly pair with Dustin May. We'll see how deep May goes during his starts.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

The way I see it- you have 162 starts. Figure bauer/buehler/kersh/urias are gonna take up about 120 of those (Bauer prob gets the most, kersh will miss his hand full of starts and buehler prob gets stretched out some throughout the year same with urias). This leaves 40ish starts for price, may, gonsolin. Price has already expressed hes fine coming out of the pen, and that's prob best for him and the team at this stage in his career, so combine that with his injury history and I can see price only getting 5-10 starts. Also not sure how they are handling Urias. Do they unleash him to approach 30 starts, or are they gonna be cautious with him and give him closer to 20? So Price and Urias are kinda the wild cards.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gonsolin still finds his way into 20 starts. Combine that with some high leverage use outta the pen, and he should still be a decently valuable pitcher this season, assuming he still rocks great ratios and a K per inn.

• Like 1

Hard to predict how many starts he gets, or how long he even goes for in those starts, he seems pretty good though. Looks like he's the next man up, someone always gets hurt except for the 2019 astros or 2018, forget which.

Dude has some exciting stuff, I have been charting him since he made some waves and then came up in 2019.

Really wish he had a more defined role, but it has to come eventually.

image.png.5c0ad6bf7773b746053602e4f9281e20.png

I will say, after my previous post, I do have some added hesitation. I presume he might be next in line if May falters, or if there is an injury, but the difference between now and last year is that Trevor Bauer is in the rotation and Gonsolin will be competing with David Price for the 5th spot & Price/ Jimmy Nelson for multiple innings in the bullpen. Nelson didn't pitch in 2020 either. Plus the Dodgers' trust in Victor Gonzalez & Brusdar Graterol will likely grow as well. Gonsolin was the go-to guy for multiple innings in 2020 but I'm not sure he gets the ball every time he's rested. What if you only see 3-4 innings instead of 5-6?

Another note is Gonsolin's performance in the playoffs. Only four appearances to go off of, but perhaps he's not as comfortable in relief.

Then again, maybe I'm just trying to make room for Logan Webb and his change-up.

4 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I considered dropping for guys like Smyly & Logan Webb but I think I'm going to hold. I don't think Dustin May gets too much lease (though, yes, he could just run away with it) and I wonder if Gonsolin gets second dibs at the rotation spot since Price didn't pitch at all last year. Worse case scenario, he's very valuable in the RP spot in deeper leagues where he can give you 3-4 solid innings per week in addition to the occasional spot start.

Edit: He might even regularly pair with Dustin May. We'll see how deep May goes during his starts.

The last part is what intrigues me as a Gonsolin owner. If May or Urias only go 4 and Gonsolin gets the 5th and 6th or 5-7, I'd rather have the guy in line for the win. Might work out in our favor that he's nota a starter;. 

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Is there any more clarity on his role? 

No. But Elite Backup Long Inning Relief Pitcher would just roll off the tongue. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Seems like a phantom injury if I ever saw one.

Any update on this guy’s return? Rotoworld/NBC Edge/Yahoo don’t seem interested in providing updates on him

2 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

He began a throwing program on Saturday. Sounds like he's at least 3-4 weeks away. Also have to think he's gonna spend the majority of the year in the bullpen.

Edit: forgot link

Dodgers have 5 stud pitchers right now.  Odds they all stay healthy is pretty low. If Gonsolin is healthy, I think he'll get starts. Could be abbreviated because of his slow start due to injury, but  I think a serious injury to their rotation could really make him that 5th guy. Price seems like not a great candidate to start.  Sporadic value this year, but still upside.  He could be the next Ryan Weathers.

• Like 2

The Dodgers will put Urias, buehler, and May on the 10 day IL with a phantom injury at some point to manage their innings. Maybe Kershaw too. Gonsolin should get enough starts to remain fantasy relevant. 

4 hours ago, ty5592 said:

The Dodgers will put Urias, buehler, and May on the 10 day IL with a phantom injury at some point to manage their innings. Maybe Kershaw too. Gonsolin should get enough starts to remain fantasy relevant. 

This is what everyone assumed was going on behind the scenes, but they did make it sound like he had real shoulder issues at the end of spring training. Since then, no real updates about his health, so some owners in NL only leagues who are holding him may have to make a tough decision as injuries pile up. Price is likely out for the next month at least with a groin strain, so it would be nice to see some news on Gonsolin before long. I've got a bad feeling if the need for another starter arises we're going to see someone else like Jimmy Nelson get a chance before him.

16 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

This is what everyone assumed was going on behind the scenes, but they did make it sound like he had real shoulder issues at the end of spring training. Since then, no real updates about his health, so some owners in NL only leagues who are holding him may have to make a tough decision as injuries pile up. Price is likely out for the next month at least with a groin strain, so it would be nice to see some news on Gonsolin before long. I've got a bad feeling if the need for another starter arises we're going to see someone else like Jimmy Nelson get a chance before him.

Agreed. I think the fact that this sounds like a legit shoulder injury on top of the Dodgers' starting depth further limits him beyond the expectations coming into the season. 

Fri, Apr 30

Tony Gonsolin (shoulder) threw a successful 20-pitch bullpen session on Thursday.

Advice: It's certainly encouraging to hear that he has resumed throwing and is back on the mound, but there remains no timetable for a potential return to the Dodgers. Given the Dodgers overall starting pitching depth though, there's no need to rush Gonsolin back before he's ready.

A glimmer of hope, as today's call-up of Edwin Uceta to spot start a bullpen game for the Dodgers was its own confirmation that Gonsolin is not ready. At least he's throwing, and hopefully will soon be sent to the minors/alternate site to stay sharp in case of an injury.

With the Dustin May injury, does this speed up his return?

LAD could look to Jimmy Nelson for a few weeks and then go to Tony G as David Price seems out for a much longer time frame.

It is bizarre to me that Rotoworld blurbs continue pumping up Price to take May's spot when the very tweets from beat writers they use to source are suggesting it's Gonsolin.  The team says they are stretching out Gonsolin.  Like it seems pretty clear to me that it's him not Price.

Oh well.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Huge pickup?

Not to go all bench coach but from my standpoint if you have room absolutely. Very few pitchers with top-60 upside on the WW at this point. I picked him up today. 

• Like 1
Just now, fingy said:

Probably gonna be a month til he comes back 

I’m guessing 2-3 weeks, Dodgers don’t have a lot of other options at this point and he is already throwing BP sessions. I could see him coming back and making shortened starts as they build up his workload. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, fingy said:

Probably gonna be a month til he comes back 

Probably reasonable, you think they'd want to bring him back at a point in the season when they can get him to the finish line and not have to manage his innings too much. I wish he'd come up soon, but this feels like Jimmy Nelson or a surprise call up like Josiah Gray will play out for a bit in Mays' place before we get to see Gonsolin back in the rotation. The Dodgers don't really have to go into panic mode over the loss of May, even as fantasy owners search for answers about his replacement. Need to see him in the minors, and they will likely provide updates at least 2 rehab starts out from when he is ready to join the team.

Edited by Richard Kimble