NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tony Gonsolin 2021 Outlook

On 5/3/2021 at 11:02 PM, Richard Kimble said:

Probably reasonable, you think they'd want to bring him back at a point in the season when they can get him to the finish line and not have to manage his innings too much...Need to see him in the minors, and they will likely provide updates at least 2 rehab starts out from when he is ready to join the team.

As I expected, its kind of weird how some teams will be totally transparent in their rehabs and others are just gonna throw out little bones of limited or even misinformation with their injured players. The Dodgers are transparent, but whenever a guy on their team is hurt, they never rush him back because they don't need to. So Cody Bellinger or Seager or Mookie will miss a bit more time, but won't be playing at much less than 100%. So its comforting to expect their players to perform at their usual level after they return and shake some of the inevitable rust off, which is why Gonsolin is anticipated to be the top pitcher stash for 2021. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every offering is down at least 1 full tick from last year (except infrequent Curve)... But as long as the shoulder stuff is in the rear-view, then he should be quite effective moving forward, la

yea but it didnt last long enough to be considered a quality relationship

Dodgers' Tony Gonsolin: Efficient in first rehab start Gonsolin (shoulder) tossed three scoreless frames in his rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City. He gave up one hit (a double) and st

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Saw the news on his rehab start and just knew I was playing a game of chicken with my leaguemates to pick him up. I went ahead and grabbed him. Rather be a week early than a day late with this guy.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 2

FYI-

Gonsolin (shoulder) will need two more rehab starts prior to being activated from the injured list, David Vassegh of AM 570 LA Sports reports.

Gonsolin worked three scoreless innings in his first rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City. He threw 38 pitches, a positive as he continues to build up his workload. Assuming he stays on a normal schedule, Gonsolin should line up to take the mound for the big-league club in early June.

• Like 1

Fri, May 28

Tony Gonsolin surrendered three runs on two hits and a walk over 3 2/3 innings in his minor league rehab start at Triple-A Oklahoma City on Friday.

(Typical blurbguy bad) Advice : The final line doesn't really do him justice, as Gonsolin retired the first 11 batters that he faced before fading in the fourth inning. There, he issued a two-out walk and served up back-to-back homers before departing. Gonsolin struck out four on the night, throwing 34 of his 55 pitches for strikes. He's expected to make one more rehab start before he's an option to rejoin the Dodgers rotation.

Looks like Gonsolin needs some more work.
It's not just the number of pitches, it's the quality as well. He needs to build stamina to last 5-6 innings, without giving up a bunch of runs because of fatigue.
And pretty sure that a starting pitcher should not be evaluated on the first 11 batters. The final line is what he did, so he needs to be judged by that, despite what the biased blurbguy's thinks.

1 hour ago, JCD said:

Looks like Gonsolin needs some more work.
It's not just the number of pitches, it's the quality as well. He needs to build stamina to last 5-6 innings, without giving up a bunch of runs because of fatigue.
And pretty sure that a starting pitcher should not be evaluated on the first 11 batters. The final line is what he did, so he needs to be judged by that, despite what the biased blurbguy's thinks.

No concerns from my end here - rehab starts are similar to spring training in that they aren't about the results but about getting through them healthy and doing the work. He may have been trying to get a feel for his breaking pitches and while throwing 12 curves in a row - doesn't really matter what hitters do with them if he gets the touch back. 

• Like 4

Dodgers' Tony Gonsolin: Returning for next week series which begins Tuesday, Bill Plunkett of The Orange County Register reports.

Gonsolin made the Dodgers' Opening Day roster but didn't pitch in a game before landing on the injured list in early April due to right shoulder inflammation. He's ready to go now following three rehab starts and will head straight to the starting rotation, though he's likely to be on a pitch count for his first few outings. He didn't throw more than 3.2 innings in any of his rehab appearances, as a stomach bug limited him to 60 pitches in his latest start despite the Dodgers hoping he'd get to 75.

• Thanks 2

Have to like the matchup against the Pirates - even though he may not qualify for a win I’m good starting him. Would love to see him follow an opener.

• Like 2

Unless I'm in a pickle he'll be a sit and see this week.  I have so many IL guys I may have no choice but to start him. I'd really prefer to wait if possible.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

we starting with confidence tomorrow?

I mean I'm starting him because I like the talent and matchup, but would be kinda surprised to see him qualify for a W let alone a QS given his limited  innings so far. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, fingy said:

3.2 IP 4H 1ER 1BB 3K

This sounds about right for his first start back.  Wouldn’t be the end of the world in a points league.  Just need to see signs that he’s past the injury.

• Like 1

I took the fact that they extended Buehler to 7 innings last night to mean they weren't expecting a full 5 innings from Gonsolin today, so I just want to see a decent performance. I'm gonna have a hard time defending him to the owners of Lamet that I keep prodding if Gonsolin doesn't do so well over the next few weeks...😉

20 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

we starting with confidence tomorrow?

Starting with zero confidence. But it's June, it's Wednesday and it's the Pirates. So whatever...

• Like 2

I think waiting so long for him led some owners to probably drop him after that game or possibly value him less. Decent  buy low window for a guy who hasn't accomplished much but I expect to be good. 

• Like 1

He had a lengthy rain-delay before he was able to take the mound yesterday too.

I'd buy everywhere I could if some owner is jumpy after that start.

• Like 1

He struggled no doubt, but it was his first game on the mound in the majors in a long time.  The 5 BB's is no bueno, but the 4 K's on 5 outs shows the ability this has.  I'm encouraged personally, but with young arms the results can be volatile.