NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tony Gonsolin 2021 Outlook

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every offering is down at least 1 full tick from last year (except infrequent Curve)... But as long as the shoulder stuff is in the rear-view, then he should be quite effective moving forward, la

yea but it didnt last long enough to be considered a quality relationship

Dodgers' Tony Gonsolin: Efficient in first rehab start Gonsolin (shoulder) tossed three scoreless frames in his rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City. He gave up one hit (a double) and st

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Two starts next week. Who's riding the lightning?

Phillies and DBacks are 23rd and 27th respectively in wRC+ vs righties and the Dodgers should be favored for both. It's a pretty clear start for me. My apologies in advance when he gets smoked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Phillies and DBacks are 23rd and 27th respectively in wRC+ vs righties and the Dodgers should be favored for both. It's a pretty clear start for me. My apologies in advance when he gets smoked.

It's either him or Castillo for me. Go Tony!

What do people think?  He gets Arizona on the road next.  He had another shaky first inning but settled down a little after that.  Still unable to get through 4.  The lack of control is very concerning but maybe he’s still just dealing with rust.  I’m going to sit his next start out.

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I don't see how you can sit out a start against the Dbacks with they way they are playing, I'd start anybody against them

From my perspective it will matter where my team is at on Sunday. But without that consideration, here is why you sit him: Little chance at a win, no chance at a quality start, ratio killer and with current command, good chance he leaves the game in line for a loss. 

His line last night should have been much worse.  The ump bailed him out with numerous strike calls that were at least 6 inches out the zone. Saved at least 2 walks for him.

I'm holding him, but his command is really bad right now.  And if he's just an opener, Price will be the one to own out of the tandem. 

I haven't seen either of the starts, obviously the results aren't there, how is the velocity? Command issues aside, I just want to know he's not still pitching hurt. I have no problem starting or benching him (I forgot about h2h scenarios) against Arizona and re-assessing, possibly sticking him on the bench till he figures it out. However,  every owner was hoping for a 5 inning outing that would alleviate any workload/role concerns, b/c now the start against AZ is crucial.

• Like 1

After reading the last few posts about how he’s actually looked, I think he’s an easy bench (even against the dbacks).  It seems like yesterday he was bailed out by the ump.  Both games could have (should have) been disastrous.  Definitely still a hold though.

I watched some of the game last night.  He simply looks like a guy who hasn't pitched in a while and is a bit rusty.  What I liked about him is that he pounds the outside corner and has confidence that he's going to paint it.  He was off with his slider last night, but painted with his FB.  He needed to get more of the plate with his SL to get the hitters to chase.  Instead it started too far outside and never looked like a strike.  With time I think he'll be fine.  He's missed a ton of time and is really at a spring training level right now whereas the hitters are in mid season form.  If you can pine him for a couple of starts I would.  He had 5 K's out of 11 outs last night, and 2 hits + 2 BBs came in the 1st inning.   Don't drop him and be patient.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I watched some of the game last night.  He simply looks like a guy who hasn't pitched in a while and is a bit rusty.  What I liked about him is that he pounds the outside corner and has confidence that he's going to paint it.  He was off with his slider last night, but painted with his FB.  He needed to get more of the plate with his SL to get the hitters to chase.  Instead it started too far outside and never looked like a strike.  With time I think he'll be fine.  He's missed a ton of time and is really at a spring training level right now whereas the hitters are in mid season form.  If you can pine him for a couple of starts I would.  He had 5 K's out of 11 outs last night, and 2 hits + 2 BBs came in the 1st inning.   Don't drop him and be patient.  

not to take anything away from your post, but he very easily could have had only 3 K's and 4 BB's last night.  the ump was extremely generous with 2 of those K's.  

but yea easy sit for a couple of starts to get back into a groove.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

His line last night should have been much worse.  The ump bailed him out with numerous strike calls that were at least 6 inches out the zone. Saved at least 2 walks for him.

I don't believe this. 6 inches out the zone is in the batter's box. No umpire at this level is that blind.
BTW the first walk to Odubel could have been a K.

54 minutes ago, JCD said:

I don't believe this. 6 inches out the zone is in the batter's box. No umpire at this level is that blind.
BTW the first walk to Odubel could have been a K.

The point: it was an overly generous zone. 

Edited by CardiacDO
5 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I haven't seen either of the starts, obviously the results aren't there, how is the velocity? Command issues aside, I just want to know he's not still pitching hurt. I have no problem starting or benching him (I forgot about h2h scenarios) against Arizona and re-assessing, possibly sticking him on the bench till he figures it out. However,  every owner was hoping for a 5 inning outing that would alleviate any workload/role concerns, b/c now the start against AZ is crucial.

Velocity has been good mid 90's (95) on his FB. I think this is him shaking off the rust at an MLB level. Dodgers clearly needed someone to get them innings and made the decision to have him build up his pitch count in the MLB as opposed to AAA. 

That said would love to see a solid step forward vs. the D-backs, should be able to go 85-95 pitches in that game, would love to see him be efficient and get to at least the 5th.

• Like 1

3rd straight fairly worthless start. But today he was good. No walks, 3 hits.  

I guess I don't get the point of this guy if they won't even let him finish 4 innings. Today he had 46 pitches FFS. I know the dodgers were up big, but come on, let the guy throw. 

Is he just an opener?

Edited by CardiacDO
13 minutes ago, CardiacDO said:

3rd straight fairly worthless start. But today he was good. No walks, 3 hits.  

I guess I don't get the point of this guy if they won't even let him finish 4 innings. Today he had 46 pitches FFS. I know the dodgers were up big, but come on, let the guy throw. 

Is he just an opener?

Looks that way 

Edited by BMcP
9 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

fongool. he's day to day after his velocity being down today. smh. 

Hopefully they will DL him and make my life a little easier concerning what to do with a starter who does nothing but has huge upside on a great team 

25 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

fongool. he's day to day after his velocity being down today. smh. 

Excellent. I can drop with no ragerts