NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tony Gonsolin 2021 Outlook

I think this kid could be fantasy gold post All-star break and down the stretch.  There are no guarantees obviously, but for a free lotto ticket I would be patient and hold going forward.  The stuff is there, the job is his, and the Dodgers are going to win a lot of games in the final 2 1/2 months of the season.  The risk really is that they do indeed treat him as a Rich Hill clone.  I think they're just being cautious and slowly stretching him out.

• Thanks 1

I really hope they let gonsolin pitch deeper in the 2nd half.  To only allow him to go 4 IP after only giving up 1 ER vs the pathetic DBack lineup borders on criminal.  He’s almost unrosterable if he’s not going deep enough to qualify for wins. 

I really like the way he commands and manipulates his stuff, I am just a tad worried (more than that, actually) that his stuff is semi-eroded right now and that more than anything is why the LAD keep him in that 4 inning area (and because they desperately need those SP innings right now)

Yesterday:

FA- averaged a shade under 93 MPH and did not crest 95 MPH--a speed he averaged as a SP last year, it still has some filthy vertical action on it, at least. He fired up 35--getting 3 called strikes and 5 whiffs with it.

SL- was inline with his average velocities this year, has great double break actions on it, he spun in 19--1 called strike and 3 whiffs

FS- usage has been going up and the hybrid change and it is an awfully unique and effective pitch, sits 82 MPH, he threw 25--2 called strikes and 5 whiffs on it, I believe it is not as firm as last year--down over 2 full ticks

CU- I like this pitch and keep asking for it more, it has an awesome shape and can fool hitters--esp early in the count. Sits 78-81 MPH, yesterday he brought out a few more, spinning 5--getting a called strike and a whiff with it

Other observations; his release points are nearly identical--everything is coming from the same spot, which helps his diminished stuff play up some. His zone plot shows a guy that is either scared/or simply isn't sequencing the FA up in the zone, just very infrequently enters that quadrant--even to waste a pitch/change eye level on a batter. Beyond that he was working the edges and lower half just fine, so might just be a blip? Not trying to bring anyone down here, just reporting what I am seeing in the charts/brief video...hopefully the break gives him a little rest/reset and he thrives 2nd H!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Roberts: Gonsolin will be ‘big’ for Dodgers starting rotation

After missing the first two-plus months of the regular season, Gonsolin has emerged as a key contributor in the Dodgers starting rotation. Roberts expects that to remain the case going forward, especially given the circumstances with Trevor Bauer and the team only having four starters at the moment.

“Certainly,” Roberts answered when asked if Gonsolin will continue being an important member of the rotation. “He was a big part of things initially and just kind of the way things have played out, he’s gonna be big for us. 

“So now to get to that 75-pitch threshold and now you’re looking at six and 90, so you feel confident that we can stretch him back out and not compromise anything. So he’s gonna play big for us.”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I miss 2020 Tony Gonsolin :(

Sigh, you and me both.

I saw the warning signs...and it was more of the same last night, was a half tick under the MPH he averaged last start (92.5) and barely crested 94 MPH this time. Hardly even threw the split. I just don't think he is healthy and it trying to gut it out for the team.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sigh, you and me both.

I saw the warning signs...and it was more of the same last night, was a half tick under the MPH he averaged last start (92.5) and barely crested 94 MPH this time. Hardly even threw the split. I just don't think he is healthy and it trying to gut it out for the team.

Yeah, his health was always the concern, probably should have been amplified quite a bit after they lost May for the season and Gonsolin was nowhere to be found. I don't see what else his managers could have done, you had to give him some leash and see what happened. At this point, he's done nothing to distinguish himself as worthy of a mixed-league roster spot. I'm holding on in my NL only, obviously, but time to look elsewhere outside of that and deep league formats.

paul sporer's latest podcast could not have come at a worst time yesterday.

He waxed poetic on the following pitchers in this order: Gonsolin, berrios, stripling.

Just got a kick out of it while listening this morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

paul sporer's latest podcast could not have come at a worst time yesterday.

He waxed poetic on the following pitchers in this order: Gonsolin, berrios, stripling.

Just got a kick out of it while listening this morning.

Berrios had a great game until the last pitch 

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sigh, you and me both.

really enjoy your write ups after starts, do you think there is hope for a gonsolin turnaround or is it time to cut bait?  seems like they have been beyond cautious on pitch counts - are they ever going to let him open up and go more than 80 pitches? 

8 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

really enjoy your write ups after starts, do you think there is hope for a gonsolin turnaround or is it time to cut bait?  seems like they have been beyond cautious on pitch counts - are they ever going to let him open up and go more than 80 pitches? 

There really isn't anything that lends me towards optimism with TG.

Apparently the EDGE blurbist thinks he has been just short of terrific, so maybe there is hope to for getting a decent piece for him in a deal?? I only own in dynasty, so I will just ride it out myself. Plenty of starters have gone through what he is dealing with, my hunch is it could be some sort of 'dead arm' period--given where he is at with his innings...but that is prob reaching for hope.

• Like 2

Pretty good outing last night, should he be back on the radar? I mean, the team situation is so good you want to give him an edge over other questionable starters on that basis alone. If he starts dealing like last night, I'll regret dropping him; though I did add Patrick Sandoval as his replacement, so I'm not too unhappy there.

• Like 1

Snagged him off the WW for the start last night. Was typically using that slot as a streaming position, but honestly, I have more faith in him going forward than someone like Gallen on my squad right now