NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sir. Sir. Please reevaluate your life choices as you have somehow arrived at the point where you are on RW defending Tony LaRussa's decision to only give partial playing time to Andrew Vaughn over Nic

He's just over .900 OPS over the last three weeks and over .1100 over the past week.  7 walks against 10 K's over 3 weeks.  Encouraging.

Tony's sole reason to come back to managing was to make sure rookies sit and washed up vets play.

He's on the phone with Tony Fossas and Mike Gallego as we speak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Ace_King said:

You would think the front office would intervene since having Vaughn on the roster from the outset of the season cost them money.

I got the impression the Larussa hire came from the owner, so the front office is probably cringing as much as we are if thats true. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Tony's sole reason to come back to managing was to make sure rookies sit and washed up vets play.

He's on the phone with Tony Fossas and Mike Gallego as we speak

...and to find a loop hole in the "must face three batters" rule so he can use 12 RPs each game. 

I was impressed with him last night, thought he had some good takes and when he did make contact it was loud. Went to bed thinking, no way he sits tomorrow. 

Tony Larussa went to bed thinking, how can I get Billy F'ing Hamilton into the lineup. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

I was impressed with him last night, thought he had some good takes and when he did make contact it was loud. Went to bed thinking, no way he sits tomorrow. 

Tony Larussa went to bed thinking, how can I get Billy F'ing Hamilton into the lineup. 

I hear really good things, but he's a tough hold.  So many gems and key pieces like closers are found early season.  Even without Eloy there's a lot of mouths to feed. Really want to keep him for an extended look see, buy Larussa is getting in the way.

I'm thinking Vaughn's inability last night to track down a fairly manageable flyball that probably 90-99% of not-playing-out-of-position outfielders routinely handle is a big reason why he's sitting today and likely will sit a lot more moving forward.  Say what you want about Billy Hamilton, at least he won't look like a clumsy oaf as he labors to run 30 feet to his right only to alligator arm a flyball several feet from the wall.  

In one inning the White Sox gave away four outs on poor defense and Vaughn's was pretty egregious.  

**Fantasy players, and I am not immune to this, habitually overlook just how important defense is to managerial and organizational decisions.  You've gotta be a guy who can just mash massive dongs on a regular basis if you expect to play every day despite being a miserable fielder.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I hear really good things, but he's a tough hold.  So many gems and key pieces like closers are found early season.  Even without Eloy there's a lot of mouths to feed. Really want to keep him for an extended look see, buy Larussa is getting in the way.

1 minute ago, Overlord said:

I'm thinking Vaughn's inability last night to track down a fairly manageable flyball that probably 90-99% of not-playing-out-of-position outfielders routinely handle is a big reason why he's sitting today and likely will sit a lot more moving forward.  Say what you want about Billy Hamilton, but he won't labor 20 feet to his right and then alligator arm a flyball several feet from the wall.  

In one inning the White Sox gave away four outs on poor defense and Vaughn's was pretty egregious.  

I get it, if Vaughn is low man on your roster than you gotta do what you gotta do. I do think eventually Larussa will wake up and realize Hamilton sucks. How long that takes, who knows? 

As far as the defensive play, on a scale of 1-10, would you rather have a 7 with the bat and a 3 with the glove, or an 8 with the glove and a -38 with the bat? 

Bottom line - if he hits he'll play more and more, but I'm concerned that if he has any struggles that are typical for a rookie, playing time will be a nightmare all year.

3 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I'm thinking Vaughn's inability last night to track down a fairly manageable flyball that probably 90-99% of not-playing-out-of-position outfielders routinely handle is a big reason why he's sitting today and likely will sit a lot more moving forward.  Say what you want about Billy Hamilton, at least he won't look like a clumsy oaf as he labors to run 30 feet to his right only to alligator arm a flyball several feet from the wall.  

Thats fine, then DH him. You started his service clock early, play him FFS. 

9 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

I get it, if Vaughn is low man on your roster than you gotta do what you gotta do. I do think eventually Larussa will wake up and realize Hamilton sucks. How long that takes, who knows? 

As far as the defensive play, on a scale of 1-10, would you rather have a 7 with the bat and a 3 with the glove, or an 8 with the glove and a -38 with the bat? 

Bottom line - if he hits he'll play more and more, but I'm concerned that if he has any struggles that are typical for a rookie, playing time will be a nightmare all year.

I'm not so sure Vaughn is a 7 with the bat at this point in his career, but even if he is, you can't trot out failures at multiple defensive positions (which is what the White Sox did last night) and expect to win games.

What Vaughn needed to do was come out and Yerminate the crap out of the ball and he has completely failed to do that.  When you're also screwing up extremely-playable flyballs, well, the leash is going to get pretty short.  

**I was stunned they brought him up in the first place as I didn't see a place for him on this roster except the already-crowded DH slot, and bringing up a capable first baseman just to DH is something organizations historically shy away from doing.  

Edited by Overlord
29 minutes ago, Overlord said:

**Fantasy players, and I am not immune to this, habitually overlook just how important defense is to managerial and organizational decisions.  You've gotta be a guy who can just mash massive dongs on a regular basis if you expect to play every day despite being a miserable fielder.  

Personally, I think you're being a bit hard on Vaughn for not making this catch. He had to run a long way and into the corner. He made a good read on the ball. Not an easy play to make.

https://www.mlb.com/video/ty-france-s-rbi-double-x5663

You're right, Vaughn definitely isn't a 7 right now. I just think if you have the kid up let him play. Hamilton and Garcia should not stand in the way. But a little Yermination would definitely help his cause and make this whole discussion moot most likely. 

13 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Personally, I think you're being a bit hard on Vaughn for not making this catch. He had to run a long way and into the corner. He made a good read on the ball. Not an easy play to make.

https://www.mlb.com/video/ty-france-s-rbi-double-x5663

I don't think I am ... the only reason that even looked close is because he was lumbering awkwardly over there.

The hometown announcers (and the White Sox announcers are pretty hometownish) sheepishly said "any regular left fielder makes that play routinely" right after it happened ...

I'm thinking Vaughn will be sent down once Engel is ready to go. Engel is just average, but he can play a good defensive LF.  Tough to gauge how important defense is, yes most of us who play fantasy don't care. But if you're costing you're pitcher runs and adding up their pitch count, I would think after awhile the pitchers would like to see a real OF in LF.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

I'm thinking Vaughn will be sent down once Engel is ready to go. Engel is just average, but he can play a good defensive LF.  Tough to gauge how important defense is, yes most of us who play fantasy don't care. But if you're costing you're pitcher runs and adding up their pitch count, I would think after awhile the pitchers would like to see a real OF in LF.

The Sox have been brutal on D this year (Eaton too). It's weird because they were one of the top teams last year in runs prevented.