NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sir. Sir. Please reevaluate your life choices as you have somehow arrived at the point where you are on RW defending Tony LaRussa's decision to only give partial playing time to Andrew Vaughn over Nic

He's just over .900 OPS over the last three weeks and over .1100 over the past week.  7 walks against 10 K's over 3 weeks.  Encouraging.

So the two day experiment yielded 1-8 with three K’s.

I fully expect four AB’s next week, and a return to the minors once their season starts up. Dude should have never been brought up to the bigs. His ab vs Clase today was like a little leaguer trying to hit up there. 

34 minutes ago, juice219 said:

So the two day experiment yielded 1-8 with three K’s.

I fully expect four AB’s next week, and a return to the minors once their season starts up. Dude should have never been brought up to the bigs. His ab vs Clase today was like a little leaguer trying to hit up there. 

But he did not look like a liability in LF, so maybe that opens up more playing time for him.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:26 AM, Miketrout009 said:

Looks more like a hitter that can contribute in the second half of season like July to September. Right now I will cut him loose to get waiver wire players with more playing time. 

I cut him, too, reluctantly. But he just isn't contributing enough to warrant a hold right now. In ESPN, he should be getting OF eligibility after tomorrow, assuming he plays in LF again, so that helps, but he really needs to start producing offensively.

He screams "easy drop".  I was about to drop him for a scrubby injury replacement.   Did a quick search and read this mlb.com article.if 

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-to-expect-from-andrew-vaughn-in-mlb

Biggest takeaway for me was that he is expected to be a bigger impact bat than Eloy or Luis .  Also didn't know his k/bb rate was 75:125 .  

This is probably nothing that people that drafted him didn't already know. And yes, there's probably similar articles on a dozen young rookies every year.  I know it's not possible to hold him in many leagues settings, but reading this gave me pause.  I'd hate to see him rake on someone else's team.

I realize this is an extremely small sample size, but in Vaughn's last 24 plate appearances he has a .416 OBP with three doubles and a 5-to-6 BB:K ratio. At present, he's not being overmatched. And the 1B-LF dual position eligibility gives him more value should he find his HR power stroke.

• Like 3

Yeah the problem is outside of keeper/dynasty leagues, just not getting enough playing time to warrant a Hold in some leagues that may have limited bench spots. Will be more of a 2nd half guy barring injuries is my guess.

29 minutes ago, supac720 said:

Yeah the problem is outside of keeper/dynasty leagues, just not getting enough playing time to warrant a Hold in some leagues that may have limited bench spots. Will be more of a 2nd half guy barring injuries is my guess.

Mercedes threw a massive wrench in the plans.  Looking like he won't be going anywhere either.

On 4/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, Cesare13 said:

He screams "easy drop".  I was about to drop him for a scrubby injury replacement.   Did a quick search and read this mlb.com article.if 

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-to-expect-from-andrew-vaughn-in-mlb

Biggest takeaway for me was that he is expected to be a bigger impact bat than Eloy or Luis .  Also didn't know his k/bb rate was 75:125 .  

This is probably nothing that people that drafted him didn't already know. And yes, there's probably similar articles on a dozen young rookies every year.  I know it's not possible to hold him in many leagues settings, but reading this gave me pause.  I'd hate to see him rake on someone else's team.

Expected to be a bigger impact, maybe by that writer only(Jim Callis). That means nothing though, I’d be willing to bet that the consensus is that he is NOT expected to be a better hitter at all than Eloy who has higher grades in both power and hit tool by almost all. Don’t get caught up too much in one person’s opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Heating up with more play time.

Potential is certainly there.

5 games in a row now with a hit.

94mph average EV. Elite walk rates.

I've been noticing that.  Very encouraging.  Does anyone think he will regularly get pulled for defensive purposes?

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I've been noticing that.  Very encouraging.  Does anyone think he will regularly get pulled for defensive purposes?

Yes, he will get pulled virtually every close game.  He’s one of the worst fielders in the sport. I will get encouraged when he actually gets more than a single. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, juice219 said:

Yes, he will get pulled virtually every close game.  He’s one of the worst fielders in the sport. I will get encouraged when he actually gets more than a single. 

Hes definitely not worse than Eloy but, until he starts hitting like Eloy, hes going to be replaced.

7 hours ago, juice219 said:

Vaughn has actually held his own in LF, especially for somebody who has literally never played the position before. With that being said, if the game is close, he is getting pulled for a defensive replacement. 

1 hour ago, juice219 said:

On the bench against the crappy Tigers. I fully expect him to be demoted when the minors get going next week. 

When Engel is back this week hes probably toast.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, RoadApple said:

When Engel is back this week hes probably toast.

Can't figure out why they even brought him up.  Obviously Mercedes is a good part of why they are sitting him. but why even bother keeping him up til May so he can play (poorly) part time?

• Like 1

Dude has a 129 wrc+, huge walk rate, and would be top 5 in EV if he had enough PA to qualify. No way he's getting demoted. Also despite the lack of HR, he has 5 doubles now in 52 PA. Soon enough he'll be hitting missiles over the wall.

1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

Dude has a 129 wrc+, huge walk rate, and would be top 5 in EV if he had enough PA to qualify. No way he's getting demoted. Also despite the lack of HR, he has 5 doubles now in 52 PA. Soon enough he'll be hitting missiles over the wall.

That’s great and all but you just gave a bunch of underlying numbers La Russa has no clue the meaning of. An old manager that loves his vets so he’s going to look at all the reasons he can to demote him. You’re Vaughn glass is half full, La Russa’s is half empty. 

For the record I agree he deserves a longer/better shot than this. He finally looks like he’s starting to get past the “omg I’m in the majors” anxiety and settling into the solid hitter he’s to be. 

13 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

That’s great and all but you just gave a bunch of underlying numbers La Russa has no clue the meaning of. An old manager that loves his vets so he’s going to look at all the reasons he can to demote him. You’re Vaughn glass is half full, La Russa’s is half empty. 

For the record I agree he deserves a longer/better shot than this. He finally looks like he’s starting to get past the “omg I’m in the majors” anxiety and settling into the solid hitter he’s to be. 

LaRussa is not the GM. Ultimately he answers to Hahn. If the word from on high is "play the kid," even a Hall of Famer baseball person does what he's told. It's not like he's deciding between Vaughn and someone of substance, either. It's Adam Engel, a slightly better version of Billy Hamilton, whose role Engel likely slides into. So he starts once a week and pinch runs and is a def replacement. And probably starts against lefties instead of Adam Eaton. Vaughn is still going to get regular starts, though it may still be a frustrating 5 per week instead of 6.5

Anyway I don't like the dude but even TLR can't be so out of it not to see that AV is hitting the ball harder than anyone on the team not named Mercedes right now and is consistently having good ABs. And just looking at old school stats .273 and .385 pop out for a rookie who just finished up his first month of big league ball. Any team would kill for a 7/8 hitter who produces like that, and I can't believe TLR is dense enough not to keep trotting Vaughn out there in favor of vets who have never been anything special.

• Like 1