NBC Sports Edge Forums

No thread yet on Gary "The Kraken" Sanchize? Will he finally hit 40 homer runs like his truthers said he could? Will he hit above .200? He'll be the cheapest in drafts than he's ever been.

I got him so late it was basically free.  I'm willing to see how things go, otherwise he's basically just the first in my many C streamers this year.

• Like 1

I also picked him late in a few drafts as a fairly cheap gamble.. you know what you're getting with Gary. Injury prone and a whiff machine who's stat line in box scores will likely be 1-4 with a solo shot. Worth the gamble IMO if he drops to later rounds, but certainly not reaching, especially at C.

• 3 weeks later...

The positives: he's taking walks and he's not taking a lot of days off

The negatives: literally everything else

I'm giving him some time with the whole team sucking but man he is a drain right now

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

I'm giving him some time with the whole team sucking but man he is a drain right now

Yeah all things considered he's, uh, not the biggest embarrassment in that lineup at the moment.

His current slash is .200/.321/.356 with an expected line of .252/.308/.420. His BABIP is also super low he should bounce back a bit in average. 
On pace for a career low K%, career high BB%, and a career best Chase %. So he’s currently having his best plate discipline of his career. 
His GB/FB/LD splits look fine. And like most of the league his Exit velo is up. Along with a good Hard hit rate, 

Hes getting good playing time he should come around and provide more than he has and I believe he will return good value on his draft cost 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mikewastaken said:

Yeah all things considered he's, uh, not the biggest embarrassment in that lineup at the moment.

That's kind of like being not the most embarrassing relief pitcher on the Diamondbacks.

I know the Yanks and Mets will start hitting eventually but man has it been brutal early on.  

4 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Not that I'm expecting 100 RBIs from my catcher, but yeesh, 4 so far?  He's on pace for 38 RBIs.

1 hour ago, tristan0823 said:

His current slash is .200/.321/.356 with an expected line of .252/.308/.420. His BABIP is also super low he should bounce back a bit in average. 
On pace for a career low K%, career high BB%, and a career best Chase %. So he’s currently having his best plate discipline of his career. 
His GB/FB/LD splits look fine. And like most of the league his Exit velo is up. Along with a good Hard hit rate, 

Hes getting good playing time he should come around and provide more than he has and I believe he will return good value on his draft cost 

Appreciate the positivity, although I will say, I don't know that his BABIP is "super low".  It's .226.  In 2019, his BABIP was only .244.  His projected BABIP for this year is around that number as well.  Sanchez will always have a lower than normal BABIP because he's one of the slowest players in baseball.  So, should it increase?  Yea, probably.  I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near .300 like it was 4-5 years ago.

11 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Not that I'm expecting 100 RBIs from my catcher, but yeesh, 4 so far?  He's on pace for 38 RBIs.

Hard to bat anyone in when the whole team stinks I suppose.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Appreciate the positivity, although I will say, I don't know that his BABIP is "super low".  It's .226.  In 2019, his BABIP was only .244.  His projected BABIP for this year is around that number as well.  Sanchez will always have a lower than normal BABIP because he's one of the slowest players in baseball.  So, should it increase?  Yea, probably.  I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near .300 like it was 4-5 years ago.

My bad I read his 2020 number of .159 

7 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Sitting for a second day in a row. Losing more time to Higashioka. It is time. 

EreGieuWMAUaq12.jpg

It was time years ago.  He has gotten progressively worse both offensively and defensively.  Always trying to hit a 500 ft home run.  Not much in the way of approach going on there.

I just dropped in my 14 teamer (but more the depth of a 12 teamer).

Interesting that his K rate is down and walk rate is up.  So it’s not like he’s just lost up there at the plate.

The problem is in the contact.  EV down a bit, max EV down, barrel % way down, hard hit % way, way down at a career low 37.8%.  

If I had pictures a scenario where Sanchez didn’t work out, it would have been that he was striking out all the time, not that he just couldn’t hit the ball hard anymore.

• Like 2

Are there any dynasty owners still hanging on here? I have had him his entire career in a deep league, but I feel like he is about as close to a cut now that they come. Anyone still on board just because he has shown it before/possible bounce back some.. or should we all just lay our sweet Dirty Sanchez to rest?

31 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Are there any dynasty owners still hanging on here? I have had him his entire career in a deep league, but I feel like he is about as close to a cut now that they come. Anyone still on board just because he has shown it before/possible bounce back some.. or should we all just lay our sweet Dirty Sanchez to rest?

I’m still holding in my league but I’ve been fortunate with injuries that I can roster 2 catchers.  Plate discipline #s look improved still having a big exit velocity, but I might end up being alone on this hill 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So were all on the same page that Hiagshioka is gonna be irrelevant in a few weeks and The Sanchize is still gonna easily lead all catchers in HRs, right?

• Thanks 1