NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Logan Webb 2021 Outlook

44 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Ugh. Didn’t look that far ahead but that’s pretty gross. Thanks.

Next week too far? LOL
I always do some preliminary schedule for pitchers of interest after teams set their rotations after the AS break.
It rarely holds up, but at least I can see whats coming up.
Webb unfortunatelly lost his start vs PIT on Sunday, because of the emergency start last friday, so this is what comes:

07.27 lad
08.01 hou
08.06 @MIL
08.11 col
08.17 nym
08.24 @NYM
08.29 @ATL
09.03 lad
09.08 @COL
09.14 sd
09.19 atl
09.25 @COL
10.01 sd

Looks scary.

Edited by JCD
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JCD said:

Next week too far? LOL
I always do some preliminary schedule for pitchers of interest after teams set their rotations after the AS break.
Webb unfortunatelly lost his start vs PIT on Sunday, because of the emergency start last friday, so this is what comes:

07.27 lad
08.01 hou
08.06 @MIL
08.11 col
08.17 nym
08.24 @NYM
08.29 @ATL
09.03 lad
09.08 @COL
09.14 sd
09.19 atl
09.25 @COL
10.01 sd

Looks scary.

IF this holds true...from 8/29 on doesn't look like much fun for sure...lol

12 minutes ago, JCD said:

Next week too far? LOL

07.27 lad
08.01 hou
08.06 @MIL
08.11 col
08.17 nym
08.24 @NYM
08.29 @ATL
09.03 lad
09.08 @COL
09.14 sd
09.19 atl
09.25 @COL
10.01 sd

Looks scary.

I manage 13 teams. My apologies for not running a pitching planner for all 100 pitchers I roster.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I think I will bench tonight as the pitch limit means he won't get a W/QS. Good luck to all those braver than I.

It's not really a great Dodgers lineup. No Turner or Betts, obviously Seager too. Seems like a pretty average lineup. Muncy is playing out of his mind this year in general, but really the only guy you fear. Lots of solid hitters though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's not really a great Dodgers lineup. No Turner or Betts, obviously Seager too. Seems like a pretty average lineup. Muncy is playing out of his mind this year in general, but really the only guy you fear. Lots of solid hitters though.

I certainly dont disagree with your take. I think Webb will do just fine; but my tendency for risk aversion leads me to benching him as he'll be limited to 70 pitches and will go 5 IP in a best-case scenario. More downside than upside in my opinion so just gonna sit this one out.

• Like 2

Considering how rough his start was in the beginning of year is a testament to how good he has been. Really working his way into my circle of trust.

Giants regime is up there with getting the max out of their guys. The developments of guys on the farm have been impressive as well.

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm starting him against whoever until he burns me. Even his bad starts haven't stung too much. 

SF working it's way back into the elite organization category.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Considering how rough his start was in the beginning of year is a testament to how good he has been. Really working his way into my circle of trust.

Giants regime is up there with getting the max out of their guys. The developments of guys on the farm have been impressive as well.

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm starting him against whoever until he burns me. Even his bad starts haven't stung too much. 

SF working it's way back into the elite organization category.

There probably isnt an NL matchup for Webb that is too scary. The Dodgers at full strength sure. I can see being conservative @ col or vs SD.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

There probably isnt an NL matchup for Webb that is too scary. The Dodgers at full strength sure. I can see being conservative @ col or vs SD.

Also so-called schedules based on everyone making their start right on schedule and no rain outs etc etc is really going way out on a limb to me.  Changes in rotation schedules is one of the few things guaranteed in baseball.

Also the guy is a good pitcher this year.  Good pitching beats good hitting.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, collucho said:

Must start ROS in my opinion. 

I absolutely agree. He is getting the counting stats too now that he arm has been built back up!

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He only had 3 strikeouts today in 6 innings

Only 19 K in 24 innings since he came off the IL. That does limit his fantasy upside.

But the encouraging thing is his groundball rate has been around 65% in that stretch and is now over 60% for the season. That helps keep the pitch counts down and lets him go deeper in games.

He’s basically been Marcus Stroman for the last month, which is not a bad thing for a pitcher that was probably plucked off the wire.

10 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Only 19 K in 24 innings since he came off the IL. That does limit his fantasy upside.

But the encouraging thing is his groundball rate has been around 65% in that stretch and is now over 60% for the season. That helps keep the pitch counts down and lets him go deeper in games.

He’s basically been Marcus Stroman for the last month, which is not a bad thing for a pitcher that was probably plucked off the wire.

He hasn't been going up against teams that strikeout. His last 3 starts were Dodgers x2 and the Astros. He's also still working his way back to 100%. I think the strikeouts will come with better matchups and more time/confidence back from the IL. 

image.png.0b407001c1dae0470a43c05234b9b46a.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lorr said:

Tough schedule going forward . Going to drop to add a bat or maybe a RP.

Im not even looking but how could he have a tough schedule? How many times could he possibly face the Dodgers? 2? He just had a great start vs one of the best offenses in the league against an AL team. Tatis might be done for the season. Who could you possibly be worried about starting him against besides a fully healthy dodgers, and even then you'd consider throwing him out?  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im not even looking but how could he have a tough schedule? How many times could he possibly face the Dodgers? 2? He just had a great start vs one of the best offenses in the league against an AL team. Tatis might be done for the season. Who could you possibly be worried about starting him against besides a fully healthy dodgers, and even then you'd consider throwing him out?  

He's faced the Dodgers 3 times and he's allowed 4 ER over 16 IP with 17 Ks. 

Look at his stats since May 6 the day after a rough outing at Coors field:

image.thumb.png.9784bf877ce1b4ab75350a48cbf3e741.png

8 straight starts with 2 ER or less. He has been pretty elite over that time frame.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, collucho said:

He's faced the Dodgers 3 times and he's allowed 4 ER over 16 IP with 17 Ks. 

Look at his stats since May 6 the day after a rough outing at Coors field:

image.thumb.png.9784bf877ce1b4ab75350a48cbf3e741.png

8 straight starts with 2 ER or less. He has been pretty elite over that time frame.

My main point was I can’t see any matchups worth sitting him in. If contemplate sitting him call a fully healthy dodgers in some spots, but that’s about it. I’d start him at coors, vs az, and quite easily vs a tatis less padres. No idea who else he faces but I can’t imagine he’s @ nyy or something .

• Like 1