Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Advice for my team, and who should I pick up?


Recommended Posts

Hi all. Here's my team. Any advice on its strengths or weaknesses so far? What might I need more/less of? Also, I have linked two screenshots of the available batters and pitchers in my league. Anyone in these lists that I might want to grab now? I have at least one spot available since Mondesi went on the IL. I'm wondering if I should stash Syndergaard?

Thanks!

Available batters

Available pitchers

 

 

Yahoo! Public League (Roto / 12 team / 5x5 / Redraft)

 

C Mitch Garver

1B Cody Bellinger

2B Jose Altuve

3B Rafael Devers

SS Andres Gimenez

OF Ronald Acuna Jr, Bryce Harper, Yordan Alvarez

Util Javier Baez, Michael Conforto

BN Paul DeJong, Carlos Santana, Chris Taylor, David Peralta, Adalberto Mondesi (IL)

 

SP Charlie Morton, Zack Wheeler, Dinelson Lamet, Frankie Montas, Patrick Corbin, Zach Eflin

RP Elieser Hernandez, Freddy Peralta

Edited by JohnJSal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Your staff lacks established aces.  You are gambling on Morton and Corbin having comeback years.  Also not going to get a lot of saves obviously.  Hitting is decent, though I would not have picked Altuve for 2b, but that is me.

Thanks for the advice! (Also, it was auto-pick.)

Is there anyone in the list of available players that would be worth getting? I have one open spot, and I suppose I could drop someone if necessary, although I expect that anyone left over at this point is further down the rankings than anyone who has already been drafted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, this is good stuff. I'm thinking I can drop Peralta for sure. I suppose Santana, but then I have no backup 1B.

I can grab one guy without a drop since I have an open spot, which means I can get three guys this way. Probably Syndergaard, Neris, and....Ohtani or Yarbrough? Or maybe both and drop someone else?

Or hopefully no one else takes them and once I get Syndergaard into an IL spot, then I'll have another open spot for the fourth guy without dropping someone else.

Also, what about Melancon? Sounds like he may start out as closer too. Should I try to get him as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And since I have no idea about prices, I'll just throw out these suggestions for WW bids:

Syndergaard: $0 (I'm thinking he's not likely to get picked right now, and even if he is, I don't know how great he'll be his first time out of TJ surgery. Is he worth $1?)

Neris: $2 or $3? I feel like he's my best bet at an actual closer, but I don't want to overvalue him.

Ohtani: $2 or $3? No idea if he'll even pitch consistently this season!

Yarbrough: No clue

Melancon: $2? Same idea as Neris, but maybe less stable...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they all cleared waivers, add Syndergaard...then DL him.  Then add Ohtani dropping Peralta.

If you are worried about backup 1bs, you can keep Santana, but he is pretty horrible usually and as long as Bellinger is around, you don't need him.  If Bellinger gets hurt and you have to play Santana all the time, you are screwed anyway and you likely can find someone on the wire at that point.  Snatana had a good 2019 (juiced ball), but 2018 and 2020 were awful, so who knows what shows up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JohnJSal said:

And since I have no idea about prices, I'll just throw out these suggestions for WW bids:

Syndergaard: $0 (I'm thinking he's not likely to get picked right now, and even if he is, I don't know how great he'll be his first time out of TJ surgery. Is he worth $1?)

Neris: $2 or $3? I feel like he's my best bet at an actual closer, but I don't want to overvalue him.

Ohtani: $2 or $3? No idea if he'll even pitch consistently this season!

Yarbrough: No clue

Melancon: $2? Same idea as Neris, but maybe less stable...

In an FAB league, your guess is as good as mine.  I would say if not the first run of waivers and they have already cleared once (namely teams had a chance to bid on these players and passed\no one picked them up), then you can go $0 or $1 on all of them save for Neris who probably goes for 3-5.

If this is the first waiver run, then Neris is probably going for 4-5.  Ohtani...3-4?  Yarborough $0-1  Maleancon 1-2.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

If they all cleared waivers, add Syndergaard...then DL him.  Then add Ohtani dropping Peralta.

If you are worried about backup 1bs, you can keep Santana, but he is pretty horrible usually and as long as Bellinger is around, you don't need him.  If Bellinger gets hurt and you have to play Santana all the time, you are screwed anyway and you likely can find someone on the wire at that point.  Snatana had a good 2019 (juiced ball), but 2018 and 2020 were awful, so who knows what shows up.

Everyone is on the WW right now. Are you saying I should just wait until they clear and not make any bids? Or are any worth bidding on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnJSal said:

Everyone is on the WW right now. Are you saying I should just wait until they clear and not make any bids? Or are any worth bidding on?

No since apparently this is an FAAB league, so they will always be on waivers each night.  In that case, you have to bid something (even if it is $0) to get them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

In an FAB league, your guess is as good as mine.  I would say if not the first run of waivers and they have already cleared once (namely teams had a chance to bid on these players and passed\no one picked them up), then you can go $0 or $1 on all of them save for Neris who probably goes for 3-5.

If this is the first waiver run, then Neris is probably going for 4-5.  Ohtani...3-4?  Yarborough $0-1  Maleancon 1-2.

Thanks! I'll maybe go $1 higher on each of them, just to be safe. I don't anticipate that I'll need to spend a ton of money later in the season, but who knows. Not sure I'm crazy about this FAB after all...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

No since apparently this is an FAAB league, so they will always be on waivers each night.  In that case, you have to bid something (even if it is $0) to get them.

I'm not sure that's how it works. I *think* you have to bid while they are on waivers, but the waiver status only lasts for two days. After that, they become free agents and you can pick them up at any time for no bid. That's my understanding, since the league settings says "Waiver Time: 2 days," but it also says "Waiver Mode: Continuous," so I'm not sure what's going on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

According to Yahoo, "Continuous Waivers" means:

Quote

 

In this mode, all unclaimed players are on waivers at all times. When a manager makes a claim to add a player, a clock starts, letting other managers have the chance to make a claim on the same player.

The default time period is 2 days, but the commish of a Private League can change this from 0-7 days.

 

Ugh, this sounds stupid! So if I want to claim someone who should otherwise be a free agent, I have to wait two days and see if someone else also makes a bid on him? That's ridiculous.

Edited by JohnJSal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, JohnJSal said:

Ugh, this sounds stupid! So if I want to claim someone who should otherwise be a free agent, I have to wait two days and see if someone else also makes a bid on him? That's ridiculous.

Not exactly. The 2 day wait only comes into play when a player is dropped (and immediately following your draft, but that’s pretty standard). With continuous waivers, you put in a claim today, and—if you win him—he’ll be on your roster (and playable) tomorrow. 

It’s actually a better system once you get used to it IMO, as it eliminates the need to rush to make pickups the instant a new closer/call-up is announced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, crafty said:

Not exactly. The 2 day wait only comes into play when a player is dropped (and immediately following your draft, but that’s pretty standard). With continuous waivers, you put in a claim today, and—if you win him—he’ll be on your roster (and playable) tomorrow. 

It’s actually a better system once you get used to it IMO, as it eliminates the need to rush to make pickups the instant a new closer/call-up is announced.

Are you sure? That's not what it seems to say in the part I quoted. Granted, it doesn't make much sense to me either way, probably not until I see it for myself, but it sounds like it's saying you have to wait two days to get a player and other managers have a chance to get them in the mean time as well. Not like the system I'm used to, where after two days of waiver time, the player becomes a free agent and then can be immediately picked up. (They don't get added until the next day, like you said, but there's no wait period for others to also make a claim.)

What you described actually sounds like what I'm used to: when a player is dropped, they are on waivers for two days and then become free agents after that. The "continuous waiver" mode doesn't sound like that.

Edited by JohnJSal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JohnJSal said:

Are you sure? That's not what it seems to say in the part I quoted. Granted, it doesn't make much sense to me either way, probably not until I see it for myself, but it sounds like it's saying you have to wait two days to get a player and other managers have a chance to get them in the mean time as well. Not like the system I'm used to, where after two days of waiver time, the player becomes a free agent and then can be immediately picked up. (They don't get added until the next day, like you said, but there's no wait period for others to also make a claim.)

What you described actually sounds like what I'm used to: when a player is dropped, they are on waivers for two days and then become free agents after that. The "continuous waiver" mode doesn't sound like that.

I’m sure. Been playing in this type of league for 3-4 years now. The only way a transaction takes two days is if your league has Roster Changes set to “Daily - Tomorrow,” as opposed to the new standard in yahoo, “Daily - Today.”

Continuous waivers with FAB is basically a mini blind auction (with $0 bids) that runs every night. I think it’s more fun, honestly. Just make sure you have your bids in before 3am eastern , if you want to be able to use that player the next day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, crafty said:

I’m sure. Been playing in this type of league for 3-4 years now. The only way a transaction takes two days is if your league has Roster Changes set to “Daily - Tomorrow,” as opposed to the new standard in yahoo, “Daily - Today.”

Continuous waivers with FAB is basically a mini blind auction (with $0 bids) that runs every night. I think it’s more fun, honestly. Just make sure you have your bids in before 3am eastern , if you want to be able to use that player the next day.

Thanks very much! Hopefully once I see it in action and adjust to it, I'll like it more than my stubborn mind wants to like it right now! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JohnJSal said:

Thanks very much! Hopefully once I see it in action and adjust to it, I'll like it more than my stubborn mind wants to like it right now! :)

Haha, no problem! It definitely tripped me up the first time I used it. I kept waiting for waivers to clear (not wanting to spend my FAB, and simultaneously not knowing $0 bids were a thing), and it just never happened haha 🤦‍♂️

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

You need more bench offense. Deal all of those players from you're very bottom last two rows of the roster and get ya self those sticks. 

Your advice is the same every year: drop all pitching and get more batters. Seriously, what do you DO with all of those hitters??? It's not like you can play them all anyway. I just don't understand your thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...