NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact 2021

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

So we have no idea going into the night if the Nationals will play tomorrow yet.

We do now:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Monday's scheduled game between the Nationals and Braves has been postponed.

Rosenthal notes that they are tentatively scheduled to play on Tuesday. The Nationals have yet to begin their 2021 season after their first three games against the Mets were postponed after four players tested positive for COVID-19. The Nationals will work out on Monday and it sounds like barring any additional positive tests, that they will finally be able to get their season underway on Tuesday. Fantasy mangers who are waiting patiently to deploy their Nationals players will have to wait at least one additional day.

Related:     Atlanta Braves

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                 Apr 4, 2021, 6:50 PM ET

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's to this thread being much shorter and less relevant than the 2020 threads.

Fred Fenster, Todd Hockney, Roger "Verbal" Kint, Dean Keaton and Michael McManus. You know, the Usual ones

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

We do now:

oh boy, still a slight gamble for for people that have nat players in weekly leagues. But us Strasburg owners know what a gamble means, amirite people??

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

No word on Bell or Turner though

Just my luck — 1st round pick in multiple leagues possibly begins the season with COVID.  Please don’t let it be so! 

15 minutes ago, 80version said:

Just my luck — 1st round pick in multiple leagues possibly begins the season with COVID.  Please don’t let it be so! 

As a Freddie Freeman owner last year, trust me it isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

As a Freddie Freeman owner last year, trust me it isn't the worst thing in the world.

Eduardo Rodriguez owners might have a say, too.  

2 minutes ago, 80version said:

Well I think we've covered the gamut.

To me Turner seems closer to Freddie as a player the Eduardo Rodriguez and myocarditis seems like a less likely result than a full recovery of a 20 something athlete getting Covid, but yeah I suppose he could get hit by a bus too.  IT'S POSSIBLE...

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 1

Uh still a lot of unanswered questions here. I don’t believe they called up another SS so I’m hoping Turner is a go.

38 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

35 minutes ago, 80version said:

Yes covid is no laughing matter.  And Freddy had a few really bad days when he had it and was VERY fortunate he recovered well.

I see that the Canucks in the NHL have had 16 members of their team test positive and that some are asymptomatic but some do have some symptoms and that a few are in "rough shape."  The UK variant is no joke and hits younger people harder than original Covid Classic.

Also about Canada.  There is a massive outbreak in the Toronto area right now and Ontario in general and Toronto in particular are going into strict lock down mode.  Good that the travel restrictions had already forced the Jays to make alternate plans for this season.  With a vaccine shortage in Canada still it is going to be a rough few months for the people of Toronto which includes a close friend of mine.  Hang in there guys.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes covid is no laughing matter.  And Freddy had a few really bad days when he had it and was VERY fortunate he recovered well.

I see that the Canucks in the NHL have had 16 members of their team test positive and that some are asymptomatic but some do have some symptoms and that a few are in "rough shape."  The UK variant is no joke and hits younger people harder than original Covid Classic.

Also about Canada.  There is a massive outbreak in the Toronto area right now and Ontario in general and Toronto in particular are going into strict lock down mode.  Good that the travel restrictions had already forced the Jays to make alternate plans for this season.  With a vaccine shortage in Canada still it is going to be a rough few months for the people of Toronto which includes a close friend of mine.  Hang in there guys.

I certainly didn't intend to be dismissive of Covid, but Freeman isn't the only player who tested positive and then made a full recovery and played quite well even in last year's abridged season.

Re: Turner we don't even know if he has it.  I'm simply saying if he does it isn't like TJ or a torn ACL in terms of it's recovery time in most cases.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Uh still a lot of unanswered questions here. I don’t believe they called up another SS so I’m hoping Turner is a go.

Kieboom was brought up, he can  play SS

37 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Garcia can play short if needed...

40 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Best part is that ESPN lists all the Covid boys as DTD so you cant replace any of them. Hopefully this gets corrected.

Nats3.PNG

That is too bad.  Yahoo lists them as "Covid-19" and they are eligible for the IL slots the same as a "IL" listing by their name.

Some big names out.  Hopefully other teams will learn from this and avoid same. 

Players are getting vaccinated.  Hopefully more will asap.  In fact Garrett Cooper is out a few days because of a reaction to the vaccine.  I know a lot of people that say the second shot (or only one if J&J) is like crashing for a few days with extreme tiredness. That was my reaction too to my second Pfizer.  But boy do I feel like Superman now.  The "whew" factor is golden!

7 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Are the Nationals IL stints retroactive to a specific date? Or are none of them eligible to come off for at least 10 days?

There is a special "Covid-19" IL designation used by MLB that allows players to come off it early if they can.  Garrett Cooper (vaccine reaction) currently has that status and will probably only be off 2 or 3 days.

But if the Nats players WITH covid -- as opposed to contact with someone that has it -- are on it they probably still have at least 10 days left anyway. 

I think the "able to come back early Covid-19 IL" designation will help false positive players and vaccine reaction players the most.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There is a special "Covid-19" IL designation used by MLB that allows players to come off it early if they can.  Garrett Cooper (vaccine reaction) currently has that status and will probably only be off 2 or 3 days.

But if the Nats players WITH covid -- as opposed to contact with someone that has it -- are on it they probably still have at least 10 days left anyway.

Do we know which ones have it vs contact tracing?

4 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Do we know which ones have it vs contact tracing?

I forget it seems so long ago but wasn't there a rumor it was 6 or 7 players that may have had it.  It certainly would be nice to know officially who has it and who just had close contact with the Covidites.  (Hey I just invented a word).

• Like 1