NBC Sports Edge Forums

The Stud 5

Br0kenB

For anyone who is not aware, the Stud 5 are LT2, AP, SJax, Addai and Westy. Now, this year is pretty peculiar. Each one of them present something you have to worry about when picking. So I decided to start this thread to get a good ranking on the Stud 5 and serve as a place to discuss the 5 for those of us with Top 5 picks. [Note: this is for PPR players. Designate your format when ranking]

Tonight I drew the 2 pick for our big money draft on Sunday and I'm honestly thinking on going with Brady. My ranking for these 5 in PPR would go like this;

1 - LT2 [Nearing the expiration date for RBs]

2 - Westbrook [May have hit his ceiling and very injury prone]

3 - SJax [Extremely porous offensive line + extended summer holdout]

4 - Addai [May sit during the playoff weeks and questionable big-play ability]

5 - Peterson [Largely injury prone + an injured McKinney + presence of Chester Taylor]

Thoughts? I really dislike Peterson and I'm so stuck.

Every single fantasy player has questions. Will Brady repeat his 1st round performance? How's his foot? Will Moss's hammy hold up? Will Manning be okay? How about Harrison? You name a player and I'll pose a potential problem. Until then, you need to go with the best possible value or pick at that point and not worry about every little thing. For PPR, I'd go:

1. LT2

2. Westy

3. AD

4. SJax

5. Addai

And I'd also bump Bush way up to a top 10 back in PPR, for the record.

dont sweat it so much - its a first round pick. i see way too many members this year starting threads about who to take in rd 1. dont get cute, and stay with the guy who fits your scoring system the best. round 1 is not rocket science. rds 4-10 is where its won and lost...

I just felt like we needed a definitive topic to rank them with each of them having their own question marks.

It's just weird...the only players without the major question marks, you'd have to reach for [if you had a T5 pick].

I would go Peterson, even if you dislike him. He is supposed to get a little more involved in the passing game, carried a 5.6 ypg average last year, and has Hutchinson to run left behind. Chester isn't really a threat, but definitely a handcuff which should be taken for Peterson owners this year. As intriguing as Brady is, you really can't pass on Peterson. You can still hold out for a Romo, Brees, Peyton, etc., which, when paired with a Peterson caliber RB, is pretty dangerous. Good luck.

The other thing I hate about Peterson is having to draft Taylor around his ADP [7].

You do have a point there. For a handcuff, you have to waste a decent pick. However, consider where this would put you in the RB game. With the second pick used on a QB, your next pick won't get to you for quite some time. All top tier backs are generally gone, and you are forced to start looking at Maroney, Jacobs, and if you are lucky MJD as your number one RB.

Because he has an extensive injury history dating back to high school?

I really don't want to invest the extra pick in Taylor. Yeah, they're a great pair but I'd rather that be someone else's problem. It looks like I'm going to have to go with Westbrook, since it still seems like the Philly passing game is going to be sub-par. Or maybe...guy with first pick selects AP so I can get LT2!

dont sweat it so much - its a first round pick. i see way too many members this year starting threads about who to take in rd 1. dont get cute, and stay with the guy who fits your scoring system the best. round 1 is not rocket science. rds 4-10 is where its won and lost...

I totally agree! Figuring out which of the new names is going to be a legit top 10-15 back will be far more important than who's less of a risk between Westbrook and Peterson. Simply being an NFL RB is a big injury risk so history or not it's tough to predict an injury. I'd spend more time worrying about who you like best out of guys like Forte and Kevin Smith than I would on that decision. True it's the glamorous pick, but probably not where your league will be won or lost.

Tough call, other than the guy getting injured (totally out of your control) you can't really go wrong.

Tough call, other than the guy getting injured (totally out of your control) you can't really go wrong.

Last year I had the #3 pick in my online draft. I was a deer in the headlights for the entire alotted time because I couldn't make up my mind between LJ and Addai. I literally flipped a coin, and it came up LJ. Then I saw my neighbor standing on his deck and asked his opinion. He convinced me to go with Addai. Thankfully. Addai ended up outscoring LJ by more than double in my league.

Point being, of course, that you most certainly can make the wrong call and cost yourself big time early in the first round. The guy after me picked LJ (Alexander went after LJ, by the way), and he had to completely scramble to make the playoffs.

Of course the middle rounds are extremely important, but you do need to do your research for your first rounder as well.

Last year I had the #3 pick in my online draft. I was a deer in the headlights for the entire alotted time because I couldn't make up my mind between LJ and Addai. I literally flipped a coin, and it came up LJ. Then I saw my neighbor standing on his deck and asked his opinion. He convinced me to go with Addai. Thankfully. Addai ended up outscoring LJ by more than double in my league.

Point being, of course, that you most certainly can make the wrong call and cost yourself big time early in the first round. The guy after me picked LJ (Alexander went after LJ, by the way), and he had to completely scramble to make the playoffs.

Of course the middle rounds are extremely important, but you do need to do your research for your first rounder as well.

It's generally true, but I think good mid rounders and smart waiver scouring are way more important. Last year in my 16 teamer, I took Gore in the 1st and DeAngelo Williams in the 3rd, and you can imagine how well those picks panned out. But I snagged Hasselbeck with around the 90th or 100th pick, Chester Taylor somewhere in the same area, picked Sammy Morris around 250th (who saved my butt a couple weeks), and made pickups like Graham, Kevin Walter, Mo Morris and Seattle D. And I won the league. So it's still very doable even with early round 'busts;. It's a matter of how consistent the rest of your team is.

It's generally true, but I think good mid rounders and smart waiver scouring are way more important. Last year in my 16 teamer, I took Gore in the 1st and DeAngelo Williams in the 3rd, and you can imagine how well those picks panned out. But I snagged Hasselbeck with around the 90th or 100th pick, Chester Taylor somewhere in the same area, picked Sammy Morris around 250th (who saved my butt a couple weeks), and made pickups like Graham, Kevin Walter, Mo Morris and Seattle D. And I won the league. So it's still very doable even with early round 'busts;. It's a matter of how consistent the rest of your team is.

I know that, and I acknowledged that in my post. The middle/late rounds are very important, and so is being diligent on the waiver wire, but to say you really can't go wrong with a top 5 pick is incorrect. That was my point.

Archived