NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy opening day, everyone! There are many great sports days throughout the year, but opening day is still my favorite.

Buxton seems fine, but Covid was rough on front row Amy...    

Posted Images

Tough day for aces.  I wanted to play more roto and fade the aces, since everyone is going nuts on them. Maybe do a Draft Champions. 

Obviously it's day one, but equally obviously, SPs only have 30 games if you're lucky. Flaherty 's season long value took a ding and Castillo's took a body blow.  Woodruff, Kershaw and Darvish all took a significant step in the wrong direction.

Glasnow, even in 1 game, built a nice lead on all those guys.  Maybe I'm underestimating the length of the season.  I wonder how much starting off with a .000 era and .17 whip vs, say, Darvish's 7.71 era and 1.93 whip matters.

If you knew ahead of time that those would be the outings (with no injuries), does Glasnow move ahead of Darvish in the draft?

Just now, GamblorLA said:

Tough day for aces.  I wanted to play more roto and fade the aces, since everyone is going nuts on them. Maybe do a Draft Champions. 

Obviously it's day one, but equally obviously, SPs only have 30 games if you're lucky. Flaherty 's season long value took a ding and Castillo's took a body blow.  Woodruff, Kershaw and Darvish all took a significant step in the wrong direction.

Glasnow, even in 1 game, built a nice lead on all those guys.  Maybe I'm underestimating the length of the season.  I wonder how much starting off with a .000 era and .17 whip vs, say, Darvish's 7.71 era and 1.93 whip matters.

If you knew ahead of time that those would be the outings (with no injuries), does Glasnow move ahead of Darvish in the draft?

For some maybe, but a one game sample size, especially opening day after a crazy year, nah. I also wouldn't draft Philip Humber after he threw a perfect game either 😉

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

No , just no. There's 20 something starts for things to go in the opposite direction.

2 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

On Darvish v. Glasnow .. It’s 1.1 IP 4ER and 8 Hits/BB over what could 29+ more starts 

That is easily overcome in that context 

4 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

I wanted Glasnow ahead of Darvish before the draft 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Can't base this off of 1 start, especially considering Glasnow's injury problems and the fact he was facing the Marlins.  Plus I think that was the only warm city today.

20 minutes ago, Ragnaroker said:

Bumgarner is one of the best hitting pitchers in the league! 😅

He’s good for homers, but still a .177 career average.  He’s the Rob Deer of hitting pitchers. 🤣

26 minutes ago, Ragnaroker said:

Bumgarner is one of the best hitting pitchers in the league! 😅

He’s good for homers, but still a .177 career average.  He’s the Rob Deer of hitting pitchers. 🤣

22 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Not a chance. Glasnow made it through 6 innings allowing 1 hit to the Marlins AND THEY STILL PULLED HIM.

Imagine if he gave up two walks. They'd pull his a** after 5 innings.

Avoid the Rays staff at all costs.

Did a little test.  I took the projections from The Bat and just tacked today's games on as extra starts.

Darvish went from 3.57 era to 3.70   whip 1.12 to   1.146

Glasnow went from 3.4 to 3.24    Whip 1.12 to 1.087*

So that's the difference one game makes.  IMO, it would be enough to move them in the draft if you psychically knew the week 1 results.  (Why aren't you in Vegas though?)

* I do not stand by my math.

4 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Did a little test.  I took the projections from The Bat and just tacked today's games on as extra starts.

Darvish went from 3.57 era to 3.70   whip 1.12 to   1.146

Glasnow went from 3.4 to 3.24    Whip 1.12 to 1.087*

So that's the difference one game makes.  IMO, it would be enough to move them in the draft if you psychically knew the week 1 results.  (Why aren't you in Vegas though?)

* I do not stand by my math.

Is there a reason that you selected the projection system that is the most bullish on Glasnow that also happens to be the one that is most bearish on Darvish?

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Is there a reason that you selected the projection system that is the most bullish on Glasnow that also happens to be the one that is most bearish on Darvish?

Because it is the top one listed on fangraphs, making it the easiest.

It doesn't really matter much, I think. The point is the impact of today's starts on the projections for the whole season.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Is this the end of the road for the great Kershaw then?

In other news, Chicken Little has predicted that "the sky is falling."

55 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

This extra inning rule is straight crap.  

It is because the covid protocols that are still in place.  Next year this will be gone or, possibly, modified to start a few innings into an extra inning game and not just right off the bat in the 10th.

IF you turn off your TV and all other appliances in the house and listen hard enough you'll faintly hear thousands of clicks from Brad Keller owners dropping him off their teams. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

IF you turn off your TV and all other appliances in the house and listen hard enough you'll faintly hear thousands of clicks from Brad Keller owners dropping him off their teams. 

I get deep leagues, but guy was not an exciting option for deep leagues, should not have been owned in shallow ones. 

Also, who's the idiot that decided that the W Sox opener should be at 9pm CST? 

Honestly, have that be a day game if it's out west. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

No more proper baseball for 2 hours now? Way to schedule opening day MLB.

I'm guessing that NYM/WAS game was scheduled for 7 PM EST on ESPN as a stand alone game to get a TV audience.  But that backfired with the COVID situation.

• Like 2