NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread

Devenski has had a homer problem his entire career. When his change up his effective and velo is 94+ he can maintain a lower WHIP with solid K% and BB%, but the shelf life of closers with with homer problem is probably not long.

Still, if you need those ugly saves in the short term. He's your slump buster.

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Was actually hoping JB would get the call for the save for the d’backs..wanted to pick him up and has SP eligibility 🤣

Didn't they send jb down?

36 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

So for those of us in weekly leagues, how confident are y’all that Devinski is ARZ’s closer? I mean they waited to use him until a closing opportunity...

Closer until the next 0.1 IP, 3+ run performance or blown save lol.  The Arizona pen is a mess and not worth chasing saves for at this point imo. 

We are not even a week into the season and have seen Soria, Yates and Rosenthal go down.  Debates over whether Merryweather or Romano are closing in Tor followed...Debates over what scrub replaces Soria, etc.  What a mess.

Does anyone have Wittgren over Clase still? After seeing Clase, man, that is what they look like!

Staumont has not pitched this year but still think he is behind Barlow, no?

Edited by CharlesHustle

Have not pitch yet: Amir Garret, Lucas Sims, Devin Williams

These guys are probably getting work no matter the score real soon. Only thing to pay attention to is the inning the manager gives them, fi even that.

Haven't pitched since April 1: Alex Reyes, Giovanny Gallagous, Drew Pomeranz, Richard Rodriguez, Josh Hader, Will Smith, Greg Holland, Gregory Soto, James Karinchak

Candidates for the dreaded non save situation within the next day or so. Don't read into usage for the speculative ones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

Does anyone have Wittgren over Clase still? After seeing Clase, man, that is what they look like!

Staumont has not pitched this year but still think he is behind Barlow, no?

Staumont pitched on Saturday. Looks like he's behind Barlow and Hahn in the very least. If not also Davis

31 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Merryweather the pickup this AM??

Depends on your priorities. Of the three big questions this thread has been talking about, Merryweather has SP eligibility and looks incredibly filthy. But as of now, it looks like he might be splitting time with Romano for saves. Could be a lineup type deal.

Devenski looks to have the job right now all to himself. You've gotta be scared with his implosion potential, but if you need saves right now, he's the pick.

Clase has some promising tea leaves, but it's still lacking any kind of real clarity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Staumont pitched on Saturday. Looks like he's behind Barlow and Hahn in the very least. If not also Davis

Wow...im way off.  Saves are awful.  Here I was thinking Davis might be #1. 🙁

4 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Wow...im way off.  Saves are awful.  Here I was thinking Davis might be #1. 🙁

Yeah this is crazy at this point.  I don't really contribute to the closer stuff because most the money leagues I do are S+H so the worry about getting the next closer is a lot less stressful.  Don't get me wrong its fine if you want to play waiver wars for closers but it's gotten a little out of hand IMO.  

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Depends on your priorities. Of the three big questions this thread has been talking about, Merryweather has SP eligibility and looks incredibly filthy. But as of now, it looks like he might be splitting time with Romano for saves. Could be a lineup type deal.

Devenski looks to have the job right now all to himself. You've gotta be scared with his implosion potential, but if you need saves right now, he's the pick.

Clase has some promising tea leaves, but it's still lacking any kind of real clarity. 

I can tell you this right now if he pitches the way he is now (filthy and with ease) and consistent there will be know lineup or matchup issue.  He will be their closer.  I know it’s early but this guy looks dominant.  

55 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

This is going to be the longest thread topic for years to come.  Just think only 10 years ago this same topic would have been about 2-3 pages tops.  

While this year will most likely be worse than most, this thread is always the longest topic thread every year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, knifeparty said:

This is going to be the longest thread topic for years to come.  Just think only 10 years ago this same topic would have been about 2-3 pages tops.  

And say five years ago the monthly threads would be way way over a hundred pages sometimes nearly 200 and April's is always one of the longest.  This site has actually gone down in numbers unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

still there...like I said, they pick and choose...lolol

Or they just never saw it over a holiday. They're not exactly paid workers. Overall the mods seem pretty consistent about trying to keep bench coach questions out of the regular threads. Which is good. 

52 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And say five years ago the monthly threads would be way way over a hundred pages sometimes nearly 200 and April's is always one of the longest.  This site has actually gone down in numbers unfortunately.

Where'd everybody go you think?

• Like 1